Filming is Magic

Lady Kathleen

Space Cowboy
Oct 8, 2009
Filming is Magic

Fandom is an interesting thing. When a human likes something, and I mean really, really likes something, that human is filled with an almost homicidal desire to share it.

Read Full Article

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/polarizers.html

Might not help with your situation much, with the whiteboard perpendicular to the camera and under typical three-point lighting, but still... :7

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
No, no, no, that's not how it works.

If the internet has taught me anything its that if someone is into something you aren't into then you call them nasty names and claim they have no appreciation for quality.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Lady Kathleen said:
Fandom is an interesting thing. When a human likes something, and I mean really, really likes something, that human is filled with an almost homicidal desire to share it.
Unless they're not. The only people I share my bronydom with is the internet. I don't share it with anyone I know.

Now, my love of LRR on the other hand...

Cleggster

Nov 25, 2009
If you would forgive a suggestion of something that I did in a similar, but not identical situation with a white wall in the background. I threw a white sheet across the room with the shot light behind it. Essentially making it extra soft. You loose about a stop of light or more though. Again, This worked with a white wall. A white board is much more reflective though.

Of course if you already thought of this please ignore.

Bomberman4000

Jun 23, 2010
I love when I get to see behind the scenes stuff. Honestly I'm more intrigued by that than I am the actual videos. As an aspiring filmmaker I love seeing how people make the things they make, how they handle obstacles that come up, and what type of equipment they use.

Please do more of these.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
I'm a pub club member...why am I seeing ads on this? Is it reposted from another site?

JFrog84

Jan 13, 2011
If you want to flood an area with light try using a hard light( between 500w and 1kw and whatever colour temperature your going for) and bounce it off the ceiling, then use your softer lights to to get rid of the hard edges on your shadows.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
bdcjacko said:
I'm a pub club member...why am I seeing ads on this? Is it reposted from another site?
Beneath the video:
"NOTE: Hosted by BlipTV. The Escapist is not responsible for any advertisements."

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
While I think half of the hate of Bronydom comes from the fact that it involves many grown, adult males watching My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, I also think the other half comes from how the community is so vocal about nearly everything, specifically about how they feel they have to defend their right to enjoy a show about magical ponies solving all of the problems of the world. For me, it's very similar to how I hate people who try and justify most Echi anime as being more than the exploitation of underage girls acting in sexual ways; admit that you like the show for X reason and I'm fine with you liking that show. Don't bring in Y to the mix when clearly the show doesn't care and is standing on flimsy ground.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Kudos to whoever wrote it (I'm lazy to look at credits or any information.) You did have me convinced that you were bronies but hey, people have preferences. Interesting behind the scenes and all. I've watched Loading Times from your earlier periods and I can say that you really have come a long way with equipment, it all looks very cool.

Adagiophoto

Aug 21, 2010
For the whiteboard, Have you tried removing the softbox (you'll have to flag the light) and bounce it off of the ceiling?

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
I enjoyed this whole pony fiasco. Hopefully you guys will get some time to watch the show. It really is as good as Matt and every other brony say it is.

I38VWI

Nov 9, 2009
Suddenly Matt is the best member of LRR.
No, wait... that's right, he was always my favorite.

Now he is superfavorite.
Because poni.

It's unfortunate that most of you guys were acting, but hey, I'm not the type of brony to force others to watch if they don't want to.
I have converted over 15 people however, so whatever I do seems to work.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Adagiophoto said:
For the whiteboard, Have you tried removing the softbox (you'll have to flag the light) and bounce it off of the ceiling?
This guys almost got it except aim the lights at the wall opposite your talent. If you bounce them on the ceiling you risk the godfather effect. The amount of bounce shouldn't give you much of a shadow from the flags. It would give a more fill lighting and take out the hot spots.

Oh and the white board hot spots could of also been fixed with a polarizer filter I think... works on car windows.

Neko Pounce

WARGARBLE
Nov 15, 2010
Erm... I only have one complaint.

Spelling error in the text.

Lindsey: It's seven minutes long and the only lyrics in the fist three minutes are creepy samples of different people saying the word "orange."

Should that say First three minutes?

alandavidson

Jun 21, 2010
Zack Alklazaris said:
Adagiophoto said:
This guys almost got it except aim the lights at the wall opposite your talent. If you bounce them on the ceiling you risk the godfather effect. The amount of bounce shouldn't give you much of a shadow from the flags. It would give a more fill lighting and take out the hot spots.

Oh and the white board hot spots could of also been fixed with a polarizer filter I think... works on car windows.
I'm not sure how well a polarizer would work, but it's worth trying and having regardless.

If they took the lights and bounced them off the rear wall with a couple of bounceboards, and also hollywooded some bounceboards for the actor's faces, that would probably fix the issue.