Final Fantasy 7 Remake Demo - It's here! This is not a Drill!!!!! Also Impressions

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
So there?s a brief ?hidden? ending to the demo, although I?m pretty sure most have already observed it as have I. Mild spoiler follows [https://www.inverse.com/gaming/final-fantasy-7-remake-demo-secrets-ending-sephiroth-flashback].

Also, expect the first part of Remake to be at least as long as more recent FF?s [https://www.inverse.com/gaming/final-fantasy-7-remake-length-chapter-ff7r], depending on how much of it you?re willing to consume. That?s plenty long for me, because I?m welcoming a shorter epic than what I?ve put into any SoulsBorne or more recently RDR2/Online.

Especially considering it?s only the first part. I?m guessing there will be three in all, similar to the disc count originally.

Finally, did anyone notice this cool Easter Egg [https://www.inverse.com/gaming/final-fantasy-7-remake-demo-cloud-strife-easter-egg-sephiroth-zack-fair-soldier-operator-punisher]?

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I tried a bit of it today. To be honest, it hasn't felt like anything special to me yet. Just a revamped version of the original with modern action-style combat mechanics that I don't care a lot for in this context. Tried in classic and normal mode. I'll give it more of a chance but I'm not feeling the gameplay that much so far. And I know the story already. Maybe I'll change my mind once I manage to get through the whole demo.

Probably doesn't help that, while I liked it a lot, it's not my favourite game in the series so I don't have the same level of nostalgia for it as people who started with that one. They should have remade a 16bit game like 6. That would have been cooler.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
dscross said:
I tried a bit of it today. To be honest, it hasn't felt like anything special to me yet. Just a revamped version of the original with modern action-style combat mechanics that I don't care a lot for in this context. Tried in classic and normal mode. I'll give it more of a chance but I'm not feeling the gameplay that much so far. And I know the story already. Maybe I'll change my mind once I manage to get through the whole demo.

Probably doesn't help that, while I liked it a lot, it's not my favourite game in the series so I don't have the same level of nostalgia for it as people who started with that one. They should have remade a 16bit game like 6. That would have been cooler.
It?s funny how attached people get to ?their first?, especially for a series like this. I mean it makes sense, as few games back then had a journey able to captivate a player on several different levels for dozens of hours. I?ll admit I?m also partial to 7; wasn?t the first I?ve played but first I completed. I finished FF6 years later, but it didn?t grab me initially the same way because I was probably spoiled so much by Zelda 3 on SNES. Somehow everything just clicked with FF7, like nothing I?d played before even though the battle system was similar to 6?s. I also think 8 doesn?t get a fair shake, and would say 9 is the most charming ?feel good? one I?ve played.

Admittedly though I?ve only played about half the series; 4-10 although I?ve never finished 5 or 10. Been chipping away at 5 recently and with 10 back in the day I was getting burnt out on the random battle formula in the face of other games like MGS2 & 3. When I clear more of my backlog though I?d like to pick up the remastered version along with X2. 12 & 13 I?ve only briefly tried.

Having said that, probably more than any other series if I had the time I?d like to someday go through the whole thing from 1 to 15, minus the online only ones unless servers were still running.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
CritialGaming said:
Fappy said:
CaitSeith said:
Fappy said:
I know some are skipping the demo because they are getting the game regardless, but I think it's still worth playing for the combat alone. At a surface level it seems real button mash-y, but if you experiment a little you will quickly find there is some depth to it that the tutorials fail to address. I'll probably play it a couple more times before release just to get a good handle on the mechanics. If I can mitigate some of the growing pains when picking up a new game I usually try to do so. Learning fundamental mechanics of a new game (usually the first 1-2 hours) is usually the worst part of picking up new games for me personally.
I want to mention that Final Fantasy sometimes demos don't reflect the final mechanics. Final Fantasy XV Platinum Demo might as well had been a spin-off.
Based on what content creators/journalists have been saying after visiting the SE offices and previewing something resembling a final build of the game it sounds like the demo is pretty accurate combat mechanics-wise.
Yeah, but there are notible story elements cut out of the demo so that replaying the first section on the full game will still hold surprises on the story side. Which I think is a good approach to a demo.
This is awesome [https://www.gamesradar.com/this-exclusive-final-fantasy-7-remake-ps4-theme-will-only-cost-you-2-candy-bars/], in case you haven?t seen it yet. Figured it?s right up your alley lol. I like it better than the demo theme actually.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
hanselthecaretaker said:
Admittedly though I've only played about half the series; 4-10 although I've never finished 5 or 10. Been chipping away at 5 recently and with 10 back in the day I was getting burnt out on the random battle formula in the face of other games like MGS2 & 3. When I clear more of my backlog though I?d like to pick up the remastered version along with X2. 12 & 13 I've only briefly tried.

Having said that, probably more than any other series if I had the time I'd like to someday go through the whole thing from 1 to 15, minus the online only ones unless servers were still running.
If we're on this topic, my first game was 4, though I thought it was 2 at the time. I've only ever actually played 7 start to finish (that very recently, in preparation for the Remake), but I've almost finished 1 completely, played a fair bit of 4, and a very small amount of 5, 6, 9, 10, and 15. I also beat Tactics (the remaster), and that game badly needs a Steam/Switch port. Or, hell, a full remake, though honestly I like WOTL enough as it is that just a re-release on more platforms is what I really want Square to do.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
leet_x1337 said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
Admittedly though I've only played about half the series; 4-10 although I've never finished 5 or 10. Been chipping away at 5 recently and with 10 back in the day I was getting burnt out on the random battle formula in the face of other games like MGS2 & 3. When I clear more of my backlog though I?d like to pick up the remastered version along with X2. 12 & 13 I've only briefly tried.

Having said that, probably more than any other series if I had the time I'd like to someday go through the whole thing from 1 to 15, minus the online only ones unless servers were still running.
If we're on this topic, my first game was 4, though I thought it was 2 at the time. I've only ever actually played 7 start to finish (that very recently, in preparation for the Remake), but I've almost finished 1 completely, played a fair bit of 4, and a very small amount of 5, 6, 9, 10, and 15. I also beat Tactics (the remaster), and that game badly needs a Steam/Switch port. Or, hell, a full remake, though honestly I like WOTL enough as it is that just a re-release on more platforms is what I really want Square to do.
Of the others you haven't completed...

8 is much better than it's given credit for. If you are avoiding that due to things you've read, don't believe it and don't go in expecting to not enjoy it - I really enjoy the feel of that game. It's great. I think most of the stick comes from ff7 fanboys who were expecting more of the same or from detractors who listen to other people's opinions instead of forming their own.
6 is my favourite in the series - I enjoyed the overall story, villain, locations and the cast the most of all the games - and I'm a sucker for 16bit rpgs.
I really like 9 as well, although some of it I found a bit grind-y.
10 I found too linear - like a series of corridors - and was a bit bored by it tbh.
4 is good, not my favourite, but enjoyable to play through. Decent story and characters.
I wasn't that bothered about 5 tbh.
The first 3 feel a bit TOO dated now. I like 1 the best of first 3 but the 8bit stories aren't very compelling and the gameplay feels a bit a drag these days.
12 and 13 didn't suck me in at all and I pushed my way through those for completionist's sake but I wasn't that bothered tbh.
15 was pretty good - though it was a bit annoying how I had to watch Kingsglave (a mediocre film at best) to understand what the hell was going on.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
dscross said:
8 is much better than it's given credit for. If you are avoiding that due to things you've read, don't believe it and don't go in expecting to not enjoy it - I really enjoy the feel of that game. It's great. I think most of the stick comes from ff7 fanboys who were expecting more of the same or from detractors who listen to other people's opinions instead of forming their own.
I'm not 'avoiding' 8, I just don't have it. Though, complex customization systems in JRPGs tend to give me a headache. Materia and Tactics Jobs were difficult enough to work with; Draw and Junction seem like they'd probably be beyond me. Maybe I'll pick it up on sale sometime, though, since the remaster is supposedly pretty good.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
leet_x1337 said:
dscross said:
I'm not 'avoiding' 8, I just don't have it. Though, complex customization systems in JRPGs tend to give me a headache. Materia and Tactics Jobs were difficult enough to work with; Draw and Junction seem like they'd probably be beyond me. Maybe I'll pick it up on sale sometime, though, since the remaster is supposedly pretty good.
I completed it when I was 16 without the help of the internet (we didn't have it at the time), so it can't be that hard to understand. You don't have to do a perfect run. It's nowhere near as complex as the job system in 5, for example.

You can get away with not doing that much drawing / stat junctioning until later on in the game. As long as you do a bit before the end boss - but they don't expect you to be amazing at it. The people who spend a long time on all that stuff kill the end boss in about a minute and it's pretty ridiculous. I don't think that's what's the developers intended to happen. It makes the game too easy if you look up how to do it perfectly - which no-one did in 2000 anyway and would take too long.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
dscross said:
15 was pretty good - though it was a bit annoying how I had to watch Kingsglave (a mediocre film at best) to understand what the hell was going on.
That movie totally turned me off to FF15, it was so bad. That ending action scene was just so boring and dragged out so long, although the final season of Game of Thrones took the cake for the most boring super long action scene.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Phoenixmgs said:
dscross said:
That movie totally turned me off to FF15, it was so bad. That ending action scene was just so boring and dragged out so long, although the final season of Game of Thrones took the cake for the most boring super long action scene.
Yeah I totally get that, it was pretty boring, although the game itself is essentially just a road trip among friends so it's very different. But the game gives you no background or anything to understand the world, setting or final boss - so you'll be pretty lost at certain points at the end unless you've watched it. Pretty annoying. I haven't played the expanded version though so maybe they've put more context in, I'm not sure.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
dscross said:
leet_x1337 said:
dscross said:
I completed it when I was 16 without the help of the internet (we didn't have it at the time), so it can't be that hard to understand. You don't have to do a perfect run. It's nowhere near as complex as the job system in 5, for example.

You can get away with not doing that much drawing / stat junctioning until later on in the game. As long as you do a bit before the end boss - but they don't expect you to be amazing at it. The people who spend a long time on all that stuff kill the end boss in about a minute and it's pretty ridiculous. I don't think that's what's the developers intended to happen. It makes the game too easy if you look up how to do it perfectly - which no-one did in 2000 anyway and would take too long.
Would you consider 5 to be the most demanding as far as learning systems then? So far it doesn?t seem to be too bad from what I remember of about 10-15 hours in. It?s been a year or so since I played; I think I was last fighting Shiva and having a rough go. Not sure if I?ve covered all the map available yet though either.

One of the things I like about the series is that you can overpower the bosses if you want to spend the time leveling that much. The junction system in 8 was pretty fun from what I remember when I finally understood it.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
hanselthecaretaker said:
CritialGaming said:
Fappy said:
CaitSeith said:
Fappy said:
I know some are skipping the demo because they are getting the game regardless, but I think it's still worth playing for the combat alone. At a surface level it seems real button mash-y, but if you experiment a little you will quickly find there is some depth to it that the tutorials fail to address. I'll probably play it a couple more times before release just to get a good handle on the mechanics. If I can mitigate some of the growing pains when picking up a new game I usually try to do so. Learning fundamental mechanics of a new game (usually the first 1-2 hours) is usually the worst part of picking up new games for me personally.
I want to mention that Final Fantasy sometimes demos don't reflect the final mechanics. Final Fantasy XV Platinum Demo might as well had been a spin-off.
Based on what content creators/journalists have been saying after visiting the SE offices and previewing something resembling a final build of the game it sounds like the demo is pretty accurate combat mechanics-wise.
Yeah, but there are notible story elements cut out of the demo so that replaying the first section on the full game will still hold surprises on the story side. Which I think is a good approach to a demo.
This is awesome [https://www.gamesradar.com/this-exclusive-final-fantasy-7-remake-ps4-theme-will-only-cost-you-2-candy-bars/], in case you haven?t seen it yet. Figured it?s right up your alley lol. I like it better than the demo theme actually.
I submitted butterfinger receipts twice and got nothing. That whole fucking contest/giveaway is a shit show. Where apparently there are places were receipts are rejected automatically and nowhere in the contest rules does it state to only buy them from certain retailers. I bought 10 candy bars at Walgreens and apparently that doesn't count.

So fuck them on that shit.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
CritialGaming said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
CritialGaming said:
Fappy said:
CaitSeith said:
Fappy said:
I submitted butterfinger receipts twice and got nothing. That whole fucking contest/giveaway is a shit show. Where apparently there are places were receipts are rejected automatically and nowhere in the contest rules does it state to only buy them from certain retailers. I bought 10 candy bars at Walgreens and apparently that doesn't count.

So fuck them on that shit.
That?s bullshit. I?ll fight them on it if I have to because I want that theme dammit. Still waiting on mine but apparently it?s taken some people a couple days to get their rewards. This reddit thread [https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasy/comments/fdkl9x/guys_i_got_the_tifa_theme_its_fucking/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf] has more feedback.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
hanselthecaretaker said:
dscross said:
leet_x1337 said:
dscross said:

Would you consider 5 to be the most demanding as far as learning systems then? So far it doesn?t seem to be too bad from what I remember of about 10-15 hours in. It?s been a year or so since I played; I think I was last fighting Shiva and having a rough go. Not sure if I?ve covered all the map available yet though either.

One of the things I like about the series is that you can overpower the bosses if you want to spend the time leveling that much. The junction system in 8 was pretty fun from what I remember when I finally understood it.
It found it uncomfortable in 5 dealing with changing the main characters' skills and characteristics to suit different scenarios. If I'm managing multiple characters I prefer some consistency in their skills. It's probably just a me thing. I defo found the system in 8 more comfortable.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Phoenixmgs said:
Dreiko said:
The tutorial is there because the system is too complex usually and you won't have time to become used to all systems in the game if they throw everything at you from the start, while if they slowly drip it down you'll be used to each thing every time it is added.

We have the perspective of people who have played dozens of Jrpgs but if it's a complete newbie at the helm they'll instantly be super overwhelmed by all the things you can do.

Also, a lot of people won't even be willing to sit through a hour long tutorial as they start the game whereas multiple 10 minute ones are more tolerated.
The game's systems aren't very complicated. Why do we need a tutorial for getting past lasers that turn off and on? Or why is there a tutorial for smashing boxes? I also don't like when games control differently in and out of battle, you can't actually fool around outside battle trying out your moves for example because of that.
Apparently a kotaku journalist was unable to understand all these systems even with the tutorials lol.

Never underestimate just how bad some people are at games.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Dreiko said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Dreiko said:
The tutorial is there because the system is too complex usually and you won't have time to become used to all systems in the game if they throw everything at you from the start, while if they slowly drip it down you'll be used to each thing every time it is added.

We have the perspective of people who have played dozens of Jrpgs but if it's a complete newbie at the helm they'll instantly be super overwhelmed by all the things you can do.

Also, a lot of people won't even be willing to sit through a hour long tutorial as they start the game whereas multiple 10 minute ones are more tolerated.
The game's systems aren't very complicated. Why do we need a tutorial for getting past lasers that turn off and on? Or why is there a tutorial for smashing boxes? I also don't like when games control differently in and out of battle, you can't actually fool around outside battle trying out your moves for example because of that.
Apparently a kotaku journalist was unable to understand all these systems even with the tutorials lol.

Never underestimate just how bad some people are at games.
Which is sad considering games are, like, an essential part of their profession. Ironically I played through it without dying the first time, but ended up dying to the Scorpion tank the second time after learning more of how the combat works. Although in my defense I think I was getting careless with experimenting, and wasn?t paying enough attention to where my attacks were focused once its shield was up.

One of my favorite parts about the combat system is how it allows you to gain better position before attacking, along with knowing which attack type and areas to target being critical to success. I can really see this leading to a lot of interesting strategies with three party members and a full array of abilities. It appears having a blend of the old and new systems here will be a refreshing new direction.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
I would be lying if i wasnt a part of that twitter thread where someone linked the Kotaku Editor to a Square article which provided tips for how to play the demo. That person was blocked and some random person tried to White Knight for the "Journalist".

Games Journalism is filled with such a crazy left wing subset of people that it is mind boggling. Endless articles about how games are too hard, and how fictional computer generated woman are not treated with enough respect, and reviewers who cant pass a tutorial.

Its like games media has no self respect. I wish there was some sort of awareness with these companies that they wouldnt let just anyone write for them. I dont understand how they think hiring someone to do game reviews and previews who has no previous interest or skill at playing video games would be a good idea.

Instead they let any asshat off the street write a game review and then get upset when people call them out on nonsense. Where is the journalistic integrity?

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
CritialGaming said:
I would be lying if i wasnt a part of that twitter thread where someone linked the Kotaku Editor to a Square article which provided tips for how to play the demo. That person was blocked and some random person tried to White Knight for the "Journalist".

Games Journalism is filled with such a crazy left wing subset of people that it is mind boggling. Endless articles about how games are too hard, and how fictional computer generated woman are not treated with enough respect, and reviewers who cant pass a tutorial.

Its like games media has no self respect. I wish there was some sort of awareness with these companies that they wouldnt let just anyone write for them. I dont understand how they think hiring someone to do game reviews and previews who has no previous interest or skill at playing video games would be a good idea.

Instead they let any asshat off the street write a game review and then get upset when people call them out on nonsense. Where is the journalistic integrity?

It?s buried underneath an ever growing mountain of social agenda pandering due to an ineptitude of actual social skills in the first place. Everything is becoming institutionalized, compartmentalized and labeled because human beings have trouble being real with each other for whatever reason(s).

Btw, I got an email that my receipt had been approved today for the Nestle thing. Took about 2.5 days, but yay. I got the bars at a local-ish grocery chain gas station for what it?s worth. Was thinking I?d have more trouble since I?m pretty sure - like 100% - that Walgreens is more nationally recognized.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
CritialGaming said:

The real answer is that colleges pump out people with degrees like they're assembly lines, with a lot of those people having no idea what they're gonna do for a job since a 4 year education doesn't cut it anymore, so hosts of journalism majors have to find something to get a roof over their head. And yes, gaming journalism has next to no barrier to entry. Most journalism doesn't (just about the only ones that do are the big newspapers/websites, which are a small minority of journalism), and yet there's hordes of journalism majors still out of work cuz there's not enough jobs to go around for them, even crappy ones like game sites.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
SupahEwok said:
CritialGaming said:

The real answer is that colleges pump out people with degrees like they're assembly lines, with a lot of those people having no idea what they're gonna do for a job since a 4 year education doesn't cut it anymore, so hosts of journalism majors have to find something to get a roof over their head. And yes, gaming journalism has next to no barrier to entry. Most journalism doesn't (just about the only ones that do are the big newspapers/websites, which are a small minority of journalism), and yet there's hordes of journalism majors still out of work cuz there's not enough jobs to go around for them, even crappy ones like game sites.
The future looks bright.