Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So I have to ask the question.

Since I have more Soulslike games to play that are apparently far better then this is(and I'm still deep in ER because I haven't been able to play much in the last two weeks due to life stuff) and most of the game is apparently a half hearted attempt to have a FF attempt at that, is it at least entertaining to just watch a yotube video with all the cutscenes edited together? Because that seems like that would a lot more time efficient.

Or are the cutscenes just an excuse to prattle on about killing the chaos man* or something? I assumed it would make more sense to watch a cutscene version of FF13 rather then play a starkly linear game littered with cutscenes anyway and that's 10 hours of my life I'm never getting back. Yes, the cutscenes were lovely and told me very little about plot or characterization or worldbuilding or really anything. Just a lot of summons turning into motorcycles and shit like that

*If chaos turns out to be female, I apologize. I'm not entirely up on the gender of abstract concepts....or like 90% of Souls bosses(I never would have guessed Phalanx was a girl if some piece of lore hadn't told me).

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Since I have more Soulslike games to play that are apparently far better then this is(and I'm still deep in ER because I haven't been able to play much in the last two weeks due to life stuff) and most of the game is apparently a half hearted attempt to have a FF attempt at that, is it at least entertaining to just watch a yotube video with all the cutscenes edited together? Because that seems like that would a lot more time efficient.
All I can say is that Paradise takes more from Ni-Oh 2, than anything Dark Souls. As for all the cutscenes, I do not know. I haven't watched a playthrough yet. You're on your own there.

Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I beat the game last night just to polish it off before going to Dark Souls 1 and I can only say one thing.

This game is a giant fucking shit show. It's combat is great, but everything else sucks. Level design sucks, story sucks, voice acting sucks, loot system sucks, everything sucks except the combat. It's like if you took Nioh, and then half-assed the whole fucking thing.

Or better yet it's like comparing Lords of the Fallen to Dark Souls. Yeah that's a good comparison.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I beat the game last night just to polish it off before going to Dark Souls 1 and I can only say one thing.

This game is a giant fucking shit show. It's combat is great, but everything else sucks. Level design sucks, story sucks, voice acting sucks, loot system sucks, everything sucks except the combat. It's like if you took Nioh, and then half-assed the whole fucking thing.

Or better yet it's like comparing Lords of the Fallen to Dark Souls. Yeah that's a good comparison.
So in that case, wait for Bayonetta 3 and Lost Soul Aside.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So in that case, wait for Bayonetta 3 and Lost Soul Aside.
Gonna be honest, i don't give a flying fuck about Bayonetta because I think the game is wasted on the Switch. I don't touch my switch enough to care about much on the system. Lost Soul Aside i can't remember what that even is.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Gonna be honest, i don't give a flying fuck about Bayonetta because I think the game is wasted on the Switch. I
Nintendo came to Platinum, not the other way around. You want to blame somebody (I know you are not specifically, just phrasing): the people who didn't buy it and are now regretting it Sega, Microsoft, and Sony in that order.

I don't see wasted potential. I get what you mean, but I'm just happy we even got a three. And a funny thing was, that people said the sequel would never happen, let alone two of them. We're in a world where God of War 5 exists, DMC 5 exists, and Bayonetta 3 exist. That's the best possible scenario.

As for Lost Soul: FFXIV meets Vergil from DMC. By a single Korean developer and got full funding from Sony.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Nintendo came to Platinum, not the other way around. You want to blame somebody (I know you are not specifically, just phrasing): the people who didn't buy it and are now regretting it Sega, Microsoft, and Sony in that order.

I don't see wasted potential. I get what you mean, but I'm just happy we even got a three. And a funny thing was, that people said the sequel would never happen, let alone two of them. Where in a world where God of War 5 exists, DMC 5 exists, and Bayonetta 3 exist. That's the best possible scenario.

As for Lost Soul: FFXIV meets Vergil from DMC. By a single Korean developer and got full funding from Sony.
Also I'm not much of a specticle fighter fan as you are. DMC, Bayonetta, are okay but they aren't really games i care much about. I would have really liked Bayonetta 2 and probably 3 on another console though. But I just don't like using my switch for games like that. My switch is a mobile machine and those games don't really yield themselves to a mobile experience because of how frantic my thumbs have to move to do combos and dodge shit and whatever else. I want to game in public without looking like im gaming in public :). Which is why the switch is for turn-based rpg's because very little thumb movement required.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But I just don't like using my switch for games like that.
Which is why you have a big ass TV screen to plug it into.

just don't like using my switch for games like that. My switch is a mobile machine and those games don't really yield themselves to a mobile experience because of how frantic my thumbs have to move to do combos and dodge shit and whatever else. I want to g
So what? For one, a majority of people ain't going to care. I seen plenty of guys and gals, and young kids game on those all the time out in public and most people aren't going to care nor are interested. If you're worrying about being judged, screw them! Ain't none of their damn business anyway! They don't like it, they can shovel off somewhere else. The only ones are going to care are people that are super ignorant of gaming, or really old farts with nothing better to do with their lives, and beyond nosy.

The only reason I don't take my Switch out in public, is because I don't want it risk getting stolen or missing. I prefer having it plugged into my tv. The only time I ever take it out is if I'm going over to my older brother's and we want to play Switch games together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock
K

ko11b

Those ffs kinda remind me off ff tactics wasn't really to into it like the regular versions of ffs but that one was one of those ffs

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Why did this weird spin-off end up better than Wo-Long?
For Team Ninja, it was just another day at the office. The only thing they're making now are Ni-Oh games or in that style. They really don't give a crap about DOA or NG anymore. Which is sad, cuz I really wouldn't mind another Ninja Gaiden game. Just make it more than about Ryu and have an ensemble cast. Either get new characters, or have Ayane, Momiji, or Kasumi more involved.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Playing it at the moment, and sorta having fun, but the loot system is just the absolute worse, I really hope there's a max level you can hit and the gear stop leveling so you can just focus on finding piece you actually like. Because right now gear last one mission and are discarded by the start of the next one (ie 15 minutes or so), which makes a complete mockery of the entire system.

"Thankfully" its super easy even on hard, so you can just faceroll trough it even with near random gear (baring occasional difficulty spike), so I'm just ignoring the system all together now and just trashing almost all the gear after every mission. But what a pointless system.

I do wish jobs had more difference to them and more stuff carried over between jobs (skill system or something) right now I'm just focusing on unlocking all the jobs, but there's not that much difference between them except for one ability, and half of them aren't worth using anyway.

Overall, it really feel like a "we have dark soul at home" type of game.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Playing it at the moment, and sorta having fun, but the loot system is just the absolute worse, I really hope there's a max level you can hit and the gear stop leveling so you can just focus on finding piece you actually like. Because right now gear last one mission and are discarded by the start of the next one (ie 15 minutes or so), which makes a complete mockery of the entire system.

"Thankfully" its super easy even on hard, so you can just faceroll trough it even with near random gear (baring occasional difficulty spike), so I'm just ignoring the system all together now and just trashing almost all the gear after every mission. But what a pointless system.

I do wish jobs had more difference to them and more stuff carried over between jobs (skill system or something) right now I'm just focusing on unlocking all the jobs, but there's not that much difference between them except for one ability, and half of them aren't worth using anyway.

Overall, it really feel like a "we have dark soul at home" type of game.
The thing I really like about these Nioh-style games is the Diablo-like loot system. I have challenging combat that's better than Dark Souls while keeping the same level of challenge, but at the same time having an elaborate enough loot system to generate a "build" that can absolutely fucking destroy the difficulty curve.

IMO the Nioh's are the evolution of the Dark Souls formula way beyond whatever FromSoft has done with Elden Ring. Elden Ring took Dark Souls and made it boring as fuck. Nioh took Dark Souls and made the gameplay a lot more fun.

Reactions: meiam

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
The thing I really like about these Nioh-style games is the Diablo-like loot system. I have challenging combat that's better than Dark Souls while keeping the same level of challenge, but at the same time having an elaborate enough loot system to generate a "build" that can absolutely fucking destroy the difficulty curve.

IMO the Nioh's are the evolution of the Dark Souls formula way beyond whatever FromSoft has done with Elden Ring. Elden Ring took Dark Souls and made it boring as fuck. Nioh took Dark Souls and made the gameplay a lot more fun.
Maybe it'll change at end game, but while just following the story, the difference between super optimized gear and random trash I slap together is pathetically small and not worth spending time figuring out if +1.3% break damage is better than +0.7% damage while at max health.

But then at end game, 99% of everything that will drop will still be trash, I'll only look at the legendary stuff that will probably only drop from bosses. So why not cut out all the trash gear and only have a couple of piece drop per run?

I also really don't find the combat challenging, combo attack do a shit load of damage and mp is super easy to regen since you get it from every block and the window are really generous. Only time I find myself challenge is when they have a big increase the level requirement for a mission and suddenly enemy can kill me in one shoot, but then I just do a side mission with an intermediate level and that'll vomit enough gear to make me meet the level requirement and its back to facerolling.