sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
s69-5 said:
cousinletsgobowling said:
Meh thats all i have to say.I don't like this game.The charectors were all annoying exept sazh and the OMGROFLWTFOMGBBQLMAOAMAZING GRAPPPPPHHHHHHICSSSS weren't that good.I'm not too bothered
Not the same characters, not the same game.

Whether you liked the gameplay or not, the PS3 version of FFXIII's graphics blew every other game out of the water.
Uncharted 2 and any 500$ PC running something on Cryengine say otherwise especially in things that aren't cutscenes.

Chancie

Sep 23, 2009
Whatever, I guess. As long as it still comes out at all and I can still play it, that's all I really care about.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
Please let it come out on the 360. I don't want to have to buy a whole new system just to play it. Although the PS3 is already on my list.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
It's only fair that it comes out on 360 as well, if Final Fantasy XIII was released on PS3 and Xbox 360 then why should only the PS3 get the continuation of the series and Xbox 360 doesn't. It seems a pointless to only release Final Fantasy Versus XIII for one console when both consoles have Final Fantasy XIII.

OmegaXIII

Jun 26, 2009
Meh, so long as it comes out, i don't really care if 360 owners get a taste too. I'd just like to know what to expect really, Squeenix has been keeping info on this one tightly underwraps from what i've gathered

One thing with FFXIII in general though is that having read the comments here and now played and very nearly blitz completed the game i struggle to see where a lot of FF fans disappointments are grounded. The battle system is a nicely free flowing version of the ATB we know and love with the exception that it gives you one character instead of 3 - and the character is your choice after the story has panned out enough. I can get that some people might prefer the slower total control, but that surely can't account for all of the vitriol.

To continue, the much hated on linearity is literally no different to other Final Fantasy games except that perhaps there is a little less to procrastinate with mid story, and lets face it one of Final Fantasy's main selling points all along has been its story. Levelling, present. Optional super bosses, present. This then leaves the story and characters themselves, which is personal preference but has not been the main area of criticism from what i've seen. So please enlighten me people, what is so radically different that makes FFXII the runt of the litter? I'm not criticising peoples dislike of it, because hell everyone is entitled to their opinion i'm just a little confused as to what it is that is ruffling everyones feathers, because to me - a die hard FF fan - it plays like a FF game.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
ZephrC said:
SavingPrincess said:
John Funk said:
-Question-
Speak to me like I'm a six year old...

Why do people get mad if something comes out on more than one system?
For the same reason that people pick sports teams. If you can latch onto and identify with someone or something that is competing and they win the competition you gain that feeling of victory along with them even though you didn't have to do anything. However, because of that feeling of closeness when a video game that was thought to be on only one platform is instead released for the competition as well it feels like you're losing.
Hmm... talking to myself... not a good sign.

Anyway, I just had some more thoughts, and wanted to include that for reference. I'm actually reminded of the Check for Traps article that talked about the agency theory of fun. I wonder if that isn't responsible. It does seem that society makes it extremely difficult for anyone to accomplish anything meaningful in their lives. It would only seem natural for people to want some way to regain that sense of accomplishment. It could really explain a lot of behavior.

For instance, sports and video game consoles aren't the only competitions that people latch onto. Nationalism would seem to be the largest example of this. People also seem to latch onto certain things as being villainous, and thereby gain a sense of accomplishment when those things fail. This would seem to be responsible for celebrity bashing and the maligning of video games as evil that seems to be popular in the news media. In fact it seems to be the likely cause of pretty much all derision and elitism, which makes it the source of 99% of the internet. Hm... I suspect it's been responsible for quite a bit of gossip throughout the ages as well.

The idea of making more money than you could ever possibly use seems to come from this as well. That would provide a way to accomplish something in a manner that could be seen and given value by the large majority of people.

Man, this is going to require some further thought. Always nice to know there are still things left to learn about how the world works.

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
John Funk said:
"It's all right," the Sony diehards assured themselves. "The Xbox 360 plebians are just getting the crappy multiplatform game. Right now, Square-Enix mastermind Tetsuya Nomura is working on Final Fantasy Versus XIII, the real continuation of the series - and it's just for the PS3!"
Lol wait what ? Ok now those guys are just in denial, never has an FF game with any words but "Final Fantasy" been considered a part of the main series. As far as I'm concerned the next FF coming out is 14, let the spinoffs do w/e they want as far as platforms go I say.

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
Bah, fanboys, one of the lowest dregs of the internet. Good, I hope it does go multi platform, you must have some issues if you think more people playing the game would be a bad thing.

Gasaraki

Oct 15, 2009
Wouldn't really surprise me considering the 360 sales made up for almost half of the total FFXIII sales.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I hope its not a freaking joke like FF13 I think FF13 was the side project soemone wanted to do and they decided to make it a fake main title.....if verses is good or a much larger game then we will know it is...if not both are these may well be side projects.....

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
I can't help but laugh maybe because I hate ps3 fanboys and when their smirky attitude changes due to a game company wanting to make more money they get anal

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
Heh that's pretty good, more people can experience it.

Admittedly as someone who bought a 360, then a PS3 months afterwards, I'm not sure how to react to this news considering this game was one of the big incentives for buying a PS3. As much as I like to see more people able to enjoy a game, I like to see some exclusives to validate my purchase if I'm honest.

Now that they can't use Final Fantasy, Tekken, Metal Gear, Ace Combat, Devil May Cry, and potentially if this trend continues, Kingdom Hearts anymore, there's not much incentive left to own a PS3. Ratchet and Clank, Resistance, Killzone, Heavy Rain, and Uncharted better have more continuations that are good, as well as some good new IPs, or I will not be investing in a PS4.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
SavingPrincess said:
John Funk said:
-Question-

Well, it's like this:

FF7, 8, and 9 were released exclusive to PS1, and FF10 and 12 were released exclusive to PS2. Pretty clear trend here for the fans to follow; so, when the PS3 was launched many such fans jumped at it expectant for their favorite franchise to continue as a platform exclusive, blowing a ridiculous amount of money out of their misplaced loyalty in a dwindling series made by a hack game company. After their purchase it was announced that FF13 would go to Xbox 360 as well, thus making them feel cheated for having needlessly bought the damn thing at full price so far in advance.

That's what this is about: Idiots and their money. Not loyalty to Sony, not hatred for Microsoft, just dejection over money that didn't need to be spent.

The alternative point of view is: well, it took them several years to make FFXIII to begin with, it sucked, and choosing to multi-platform it in the middle of production probably just made it worse.

To give you an idea the PS3 and the 360 both operate on completely different processing structures; the PS3 has this really weird chip that's got one processor and sixteen sub-processor-dealies while the 360 has a more conventional multi-core processor. They're equivocal in terms of computing power, but you have to code completely differently for either one than you would the other, which means that an awful lot of stuff has to be re-written from the ground up to work on the second console you're releasing the game for.

Yes, it's released to a bigger audience, but at the cost of hundreds of hours of labor that could either be lopped clean off the budget or else could go into making the game better on just one console, whether it's through additional content or just eliminating bugs and boosting efficiency. This means the game either turns out clumsy, as in the case of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, or it gets delayed to no end, like Versus XIII here, which has been in development since XIII proper started and may qualify as vaporware at this point as we have yet to see a single shot ingame.

Rodyle2 said:
Didn't Nomura already have it down in writing with Wada that if Wada tried to force him to make it multiplatform like he did with FF13, Nomura and his entire development team would leave?
I'd have so much more respect for him if that were true. Not enough to stop badmouthing Square for being a bunch of hacks who can't seem to develop a title efficiently to save their lives, but more.

Ehra

Mar 19, 2010
Can't say I really care about Versus XIII itself, but if this comes to the 360 then that gives me high hopes for the eventual new Kingdom Hearts game doing the same!

/excited

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
sougo13 said:
Oh I got the game on 360. It's just that the PS3 version is supose to be an improvement like the PC version. I know the game have its flaws but it is my second favourite RPG of this gen. First is FFXIII.
Saying FF13 is your favorite RPG if this gen is like saying you like getting punched in the face rather than shot in it since almost every RPG of this gen. has sucked. But FF13.. really? Not Enchanted arms.. Cross Edge..Resonance of Fate.. Disgaea 3 Or a bloody Pokemon game on the DS? Ya know.. the RPG games that actually have parts that resemble RPGs and not 40hrs of cut scenes occasionally interrupted by hallways. But I'm getting away from the point of the thread.

I'm honestly scared of this. I solely blame FF13 being the huge turd that it is on them trying to appeal to the 360 crowd (Boring game play and shiny colors). I don't know much about Versus since it's still pretty far off on the horizon, but if they decided to do a 360 release, I smell changes, and not good changes. Honestly being an ex-FF Fangirl, I couldn't care less if it has a multi-platform release if the game is actually good but if they start tweaking it to appeal to a group other than their core... well you try to please everyone and just give a abysmal experience over all.

I do know this much, I'm not rushing out to buy it like I did 12 and 13 only to have my soul crushed. I'll just play X-2 again, at least that one still played like an FF game should.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
NickCaligo42 said:
SavingPrincess said:
John Funk said:
-Question-

Well, it's like this:

FF7, 8, and 9 were released exclusive to PS1, and FF10 and 12 were released exclusive to PS2. Pretty clear trend here for the fans to follow; so, when the PS3 was launched many such fans jumped at it expectant for their favorite franchise to continue as a platform exclusive, blowing a ridiculous amount of money out of their misplaced loyalty in a dwindling series made by a hack game company. After their purchase it was announced that FF13 would go to Xbox 360 as well, thus making them feel cheated for having needlessly bought the damn thing at full price so far in advance.

That's what this is about: Idiots and their money. Not loyalty to Sony, not hatred for Microsoft, just dejection over money that didn't need to be spent.
Also forgetting all early titles that were NES and SNES exclusives but most of the current generation of FF players don't know about the series pre-Tifa Cosplayers, anyway, I'm going off topic.

I highly doubt, or maybe it's just wishful thinking, that anyone bought their PS3 purely for FF13. I, for example, got my ultra pricey 60giger way back when because my PS1 and PS2 were about to kick the bucket and I needed a DVD/bluray player.. so basically killed 4 birds with 1 stone (and it still works perfectly, wonder how many launch release 360s can say that....) Yeah assuming the FF series would continue in PS3 was a factor, albeit an extremely small (and ultimately a horribly mistaken) factor. Actually I got more gushy about the Disgaea series continuing on PS3 than FF, but then again I hated FF12 so my faith had already been shattered.

But I think you're right about...

NickCaligo42 said:
Yes, it's released to a bigger audience, but at the cost of hundreds of hours of labor that could either be lopped clean off the budget or else could go into making the game better on just one console, whether it's through additional content or just eliminating bugs and boosting efficiency. This means the game either turns out clumsy, as in the case of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, or it gets delayed to no end, like Versus XIII here, which has been in development since XIII proper started and may qualify as vaporware at this point as we have yet to see a single shot ingame.
.. if they do try to multi-platform it, like they did with 13, they're just going to cause more problems for a game that may or may not actually exist yet. And, in all honesty, FF13 sold well because it was multi-platform and it had basically universal coverage of its fan base and years of hype; it disappointed a HUGE portion of its core fans and it did not draw in enough new people to replace them which is gonna hurt Versus sales no matter where they put it.