Final Fantasy VII Remake Coming to PS4

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Scars Unseen said:
Nintendo: People in the west have been begging for Mother for ages. We've got this E3 in the bag!
Square-Enix: We're finally doing a FF7 remake!
Capcom: So we figured we'd put out that Megaman Legends 3 game after all.
Valve: We finally learned how to count to three!
Nintendo: ...fuck.
One down...

On the one hand, I'm not as excited about this as I once may have been. On the other, I'm still more excited about this than I have been about a FF title in over a decade. I'll buy it.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Nine years, Square. It took nine years after teasing what an FF7 remake might look like with that E3 '06 tech demo to finally deliver. You must not have much faith in FF15 or are really strapped for cash after only recently teasing a remake again but pulling a bait and switch to announce the re-re-release of the original on PS4.
Dreadman75 said:
Also, they better not fucking touch IX! I love that title even more than VII, if they ruin it god help them.
I'm half against and half with leaving IX alone. I'd love for IX to get some more (positive) attention and to see Gaia with more detail than the PS1's muddy textures and pointed polygons. Though, I'm worried enough with this remake that they're going to retcon things that don't need to be touched (Cloud's personality is one concern.) or take out something important, like the explorable 3D overworld (a gameplay mechanic that's been sorely missing since FFX got rid of it). They might even loose the charm the PS1 era games had, like the graphics in the trailer are hinting for FF7. Yeah, they better leave IX alone until someone who hasn't gone mad takes over the franchise.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
And here I thought SE was trolling people again before the presser about the FFVII remake.

That reveal blew my Goddamn mind.

Good for them and I know people that loved the game are super stoked for it too.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Never understood why people always claim FF7 is overrated. It's not the best game in the world, but it's still awesome enough to deserve most of the hype people throw at it. I replayed it a few years ago and the graphics are about the ONLY thing that hasn't stood the test of time. It was still a massively fun game with a pretty excellent (though cliche) plot. What's not to love?

I was planning on getting a PS4 anyway. This just sealed the deal.

Ultimatecalibur

Sep 26, 2010
Dreadman75 said:
As much as I love the fact that VII is finally getting the HD treatment (and possibly more), this was more my line of thought. Square Enix did say that they wouldn't remake VII unless they had a game that surpassed it sales wise right? So this means one of two things:

1. They REALLY need the money, and goodwill that this will generate. After the recent XIII string of games, and other minor controversies surrounding XV this wouldn't surprise me.

2. They have A LOT of faith that XV will, in fact, beat VII sales wise. This ones iffy at best.
3. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn more than met the sales conditions the required.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
It looks amazing.

The most interesting thing is right at the end "first on Playstation 4"

Does this mean, it might come to PC soonish? :D

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Kajin said:
Never understood why people always claim FF7 is overrated. It's not the best game in the world, but it's still awesome enough to deserve most of the hype people throw at it. I replayed it a few years ago and the graphics are about the ONLY thing that hasn't stood the test of time. It was still a massively fun game with a pretty excellent (though cliche) plot. What's not to love?
Because "overrated" =/= bad. Nor does it mean that you don't like it. Overrated means it doesn't live up to the hype that people have built around it and the hysteria over 7 is frankly absurd. It is a good, competent game. No more or less. To live up to the way people talk about it the game would literally have to cure cancer or something similar.

Its a good game; I rather like it though I'm not sure it'd make my top 3 list of Final Fantasy games. However people talk about it like this remake is the second coming of Christ himself.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
WolvDragon said:
elvor0 said:
dragongit said:
Well... welly well well... the impossible has happened today. Twice. Last Guaridan, FF7 remake... what a day.
Dont forget Shunmue 3. That's three impossible things. THREE. Half Life 3 reveal tomorrow?

WolvDragon said:
And one of the most Overrated games is finally getting remade.
Y'know at this point it's pretty much moved to underrated, FF7 never gets mentioned on this site unless it's someone complaining it's overrated.
It's still overrated when everyone want's it remade in my opinion.
I think I'm going with elvor0. I do see both sides of it. Though, I do think the remake is a good thing overall because the original - being THE pioneer in 3d jrpg-ing - has NOT aged well. At all. Aside for the still gorgeous pre-rendered environments, it's a horrible, polygonal mess visually. So the remake will bring the story visual life now. That 8-bit fan project even looked good by comparison. Additionally, a lot of jrpg fans that may have been put off by how horrible it looks by today's standards, may now be willing to give it go. Finally, a lot of poeple wanted it so if they get what they've been asking for, then hey good for them right?

Over-rated or not, for many of us, this game was magical. It was the first time I ever shed a tear or felt hurt and sympathetic playing a game. And I'm not alone in this. That honestly had not happened for me since, until Fire Emblem Awakening (which is the sole reason I picked gaming back up after 3 years of not toucing a game). "Rating" as far as how we are discussing it, is just a matter of subjective opinion, anyhow so if some people think it's over-rated, that's ok and they have valid reasons for saying so. Those that love it, that's ok too and they have equally valid reasons. So, everyone is cool - I guess is what I'm saying in roundabout way.

One difference I can think of is between "over-rated" and "over-hyped". It seems as though a game can be over-hyped for no reason at all as a creation of media, ads, and word of mouth - still resulting in a total bust. But generally, there has a to a certain amount of sustained critical and/or commercial (or both) success and acclaim to get to point that people start calling it overrated. It's had to have done something right.

-----

As for Shenmue III. I'm cautiously optimistic. The Shenmue series is also a horrible mess by today's standards from visuals, to ADR, to gameplay. So, rather than just the final chapter, possibly being a masterpiece, we are so far removed from the events of the first two chapters, that a total overhall is really what I would prefer. Have all three chapters in the game - up to (or exceeding) standard - and just call the whole thing "Shenmue". They couldn't take my money fast enough.

Kajin

Apr 13, 2008
Lightspeaker said:
Kajin said:
Because "overrated" =/= bad. Nor does it mean that you don't like it. Overrated means it doesn't live up to the hype that people have built around it and the hysteria over 7 is frankly absurd. It is a good, competent game. No more or less. To live up to the way people talk about it the game would literally have to cure cancer or something similar.

Its a good game; I rather like it though I'm not sure it'd make my top 3 list of Final Fantasy games. However people talk about it like this remake is the second coming of Christ himself.
People have been asking for it for years. I'm pretty sure there's some pent up energy being released.

I also seriously doubt people are claiming it can cure cancer or is the literal second coming of Christ. Second coming of FF7, surely, but not Christ. It's a good game. Enough so that people love to talk about it and want more of it. That doesn't make it overrated. If anything I'd claim the other FF games are UNDERrated in comparison, rather than claiming that FF7 is itself overrated.

adsixx

Aug 24, 2014
Dammit. This means I can't keep ignoring the whole 'new generation consoles!' purchase anymore. Sorry my trusty 80gig PS3, you're going to have to share one of the HDMI ports on the T.V. Why Square why? Why drag me out of my current PC gaming life, back to the couch, with such a yummy promise of FFVII Vincent goodness?

As for Nintendo and Mother, sorry you're about 6 years too late to catch me. Earthbound is defeated, no real interest to play it's 'first' game in the set.

My brainz are already twitching, the eyes wide open, fingers flickering. Gold.... Chocobo....

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
Ultimatecalibur said:
Dreadman75 said:
As much as I love the fact that VII is finally getting the HD treatment (and possibly more), this was more my line of thought. Square Enix did say that they wouldn't remake VII unless they had a game that surpassed it sales wise right? So this means one of two things:

1. They REALLY need the money, and goodwill that this will generate. After the recent XIII string of games, and other minor controversies surrounding XV this wouldn't surprise me.

2. They have A LOT of faith that XV will, in fact, beat VII sales wise. This ones iffy at best.
3. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn more than met the sales conditions the required.
Huh. I keep forgetting FF XIV is a thing that still exists. Not in any sort of snarky, derisive way mind you. I just don't play it myself and I don't hear much about it anywhere so I just keep forgetting about it. But now that you mention it that could very well be the case. If so, good for XIV!

Kajin

Apr 13, 2008
Dreadman75 said:
Ultimatecalibur said:
Dreadman75 said:

Huh. I keep forgetting FF XIV is a thing that still exists. Not in any sort of snarky, derisive way mind you. I just don't play it myself and I don't hear much about it anywhere so I just keep forgetting about it. But now that you mention it that could very well be the case. If so, good for XIV!
I played A Realm Reborn with a handful of friends. Just enough to be able to form a party and run quests and instances together. I gotta say this about it: it's definitely one of the best FF games since FF9. If you can stomach an MMO, anyway.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
WolvDragon said:
vagabondwillsmile said:
WolvDragon said:
elvor0 said:
dragongit said:
Well... welly well well... the impossible has happened today. Twice. Last Guaridan, FF7 remake... what a day.
Dont forget Shunmue 3. That's three impossible things. THREE. Half Life 3 reveal tomorrow?

WolvDragon said:
And one of the most Overrated games is finally getting remade.
Y'know at this point it's pretty much moved to underrated, FF7 never gets mentioned on this site unless it's someone complaining it's overrated.
It's still overrated when everyone want's it remade in my opinion.
I think I'm going with elvor0. I do see both sides of it. Though, I do think the remake is a good thing overall because the original - being THE pioneer in 3d jrpg-ing - has NOT aged well. At all. Aside for the still gorgeous pre-rendered environments, it's a horrible, polygonal mess visually. So the remake will bring the story visual life now. That 8-bit fan project even looked good by comparison. Additionally, a lot of jrpg fans that may have been put off by how horrible it looks by today's standards, may now be willing to give it go. Finally, a lot of poeple wanted it so if they get what they've been asking for, then hey good for them right?

Over-rated or not, for many of us, this game was magical. It was the first time I ever shed a tear or felt hurt and sympathetic playing a game. And I'm not alone in this. That honestly had not happened for me since, until Fire Emblem Awakening (which is the sole reason I picked gaming back up after 3 years of not toucing a game). "Rating" as far as how we are discussing it, is just a matter of subjective opinion, anyhow so if some people think it's over-rated, that's ok and they have valid reasons for saying so. Those that love it, that's ok too and they have equally valid reasons. So, everyone is cool - I guess is what I'm saying in roundabout way.

One difference I can think of is between "over-rated" and "over-hyped". It seems as though a game can be over-hyped for no reason at all as a creation of media, ads, and word of mouth - still resulting in a total bust. But generally, there has a to a certain amount of sustained critical and/or commercial (or both) success and acclaim to get to point that people start calling it overrated. It's had to have done something right.

-----

As for Shenmue III. I'm cautiously optimistic. The Shenmue series is also a horrible mess by today's standards from visuals, to ADR, to gameplay. So, rather than just the final chapter, possibly being a masterpiece, we are so far removed from the events of the first two chapters, that a total overhall is really what I would prefer. Have all three chapters in the game - up to (or exceeding) standard - and just call the whole thing "Shenmue". They couldn't take my money fast enough.
I played the game a couple of years ago, while I wouldn't call it bad, I still don't see anything magical about it. If the game was released in this point in time, it wouldn't be as held up as it is today by it's fans.

Other games released before or at the same time had better looking graphics, like Night's into Dreams, and Crimson Dragoon, yet they're not as put up as high on a pedestal for their graphical achievements.

I think it is Overrated because of how hyped up it was by the fans, do I think it's a bad game? No of course not, but it's really not that great in my opinion.
Those are good points, especially the first one. It's true that since FFVII, there have been many powerful, emotional, stories. So there is that possibility that today's audiences, having already been primed for and exposed to stuff with more meat, may not be as profoundly affected as gamers for whom FFVII was their very first exposure to that kind of story telling. It does make sense; I totally see where you are coming from.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
Kajin said:
Dreadman75 said:
Ultimatecalibur said:
Dreadman75 said:

I played A Realm Reborn with a handful of friends. Just enough to be able to form a party and run quests and instances together. I gotta say this about it: it's definitely one of the best FF games since FF9. If you can stomach an MMO, anyway.
Yeah, not sure if I could personally. I always swore to myself that I wouldn't let myself get sucked into MMOs. Then I got into Destiny, which I currently have a love/hate/indifferent relationship with.I still question whether or not it was a good idea...

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Jesus, I never hear people complaining when another game gets revealed/remade. Why can't people just be glad that other people are happy? I don't give a crap about Mother 1, frankly. But I'm happy Nintendo fans are enjoying it. My roommate lost his shit.

Anything that generates that level of quality has to face this, though, I suppose. It happened with The Last of Us. You can say FF7 is overrated, but the fact that we're talking about it nearly twenty years later says something.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Aiddon said:
Though put proper context into this announcement and suddenly the excitement melts away like sugar in the rain. 2015 SE is NOT 1997 Squaresoft who made FF7. Instead of guys at the height of their ability we have a team of guys who worked on FF7, but weren't the key players. Furthermore it's being done by Nomura, the guy behind Compilation of FFVII; I dread how he'll shoehorn in the middling Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, and Advent Children stuff that we never wanted and try to "fix" things about the game. This might as well be SE admitting they no longer have any idea of what to do with the franchise and that the last eight entries since VII have been a waste of time.
This is pretty much how I feel about it... I liked that ff7's cut scenes felt more like an anime than this hyper realistic shit we have to deal with these days.

And I've avoided every ff7 spin off in order to not corrupt the core story with their shitty Retcons. Will I have to do that with this game too? Or will they not shoe horn that shit in.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
dragongit said:
(Sees Ryu in Smash Bros, then sees the trailer for the sequel to Stick of Truth) ..."Today was a good day." =)

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
As much as I liked FFVII I don't think I've ever replayed it. For it's time it was one of the largest games ever (4 discs iirc) All the items all the secrets all the quests. FFVII was on par with an MMO which had so much to do when you finished there was little reason to revisit. So yeah I loved the game, the characters, the system, etc. But would I play it again? Probably not. I might try it if they did add new things, but that defeats the purpose of a remake. We shall see.