Final Fantasy VII Remake Coming to PS4

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Really, I've lost all interest in a FF7 remake, and I used to be super excited about the possibility. I just have no faith that SquareEnix can do the game justice anymore, not after playing their more recent work like FF12. Plus, the original game had a lot of charm with nice backgrounds and the models were actually really expressive even if they did have arms like Popeye.

That trailer kind of sucked too. Having Booker Dewitt read nonsense poetry leads me to believe that the remake will be more in line with Advent Children than with the original game, i.e. retarded plot but pretty animations.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Honestly, this is kinda surreal.

I mean, I never played FFVII, being, you know, four years old when it came out and not being aware of its existence, but I've been hearing fans clamoring over a remake since I was 12, when they showed off that PS3 tech demo in 2005. After ten years of Square Enix debunking rumor after rumor, telling people that they just can't do it, and watching fans being left nearly hopeless, to finally unveil that they are doing it, is a lot to take in, and is something that I never really expect to see.

Really, the audience and online reactions speak for themselves. I've seen videos of people losing their minds and tearing up at the announcement, and it's hard for me not to get wrapped up in their excitement. Very similar with Shenmue III, which I know even less about, but fans have been waiting for a sequel for 14 years and it shows. These are games that a ton of people grew up with and mean a lot to, and I kinda wish I could feel what they're feeling. Seeing their reactions, however, makes me happier than the announcements themselves, and it's why it sorta upsets me seeing people here being all cynical about it.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I've played FF VII once every year since 1997 and while I know this game and the rest of the VII "series" more than anyone should :(
and I couldn't be happier about this announcement, I just hope the PC version supports mods

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Its no Final Fantasy 9.

Anyway there are several pitfalls involved in this but the nastiest and most likely to be fallen into is the "flanderization" of the characters most disastrous being Cloud and Sephiroth. If both of them are portrayed like they are these days which is how a lot of people actually think they were in FF7 than oh boy it ain't going to be pretty.

Also I have no problems with them adding new stuff. Expand Midgar, make Avalanche temporary party members, and heck throw in some harmless new characters in while at it. I'd not mind a new villain like a Soldier 1st class guy or something who'll fill in as the boss for new areas in Midgar (and I suppose be the boss before you face Hojo instead of having generic soldier guys about).