Final Fantasy VII Remake Coming to PS4

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Final Fantasy VII Remake Coming to PS4

Final Fantasy VII's long-awaited HD remake is coming first to PS4.

Read Full Article

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Well... welly well well... the impossible has happened today. Twice. Last Guaridan, FF7 remake... what a day.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
dragongit said:
Well... welly well well... the impossible has happened today. Twice. Last Guaridan, FF7 remake... what a day.
Dont forget Shunmue 3. That's three impossible things. THREE. Half Life 3 reveal tomorrow?

WolvDragon said:
And one of the most Overrated games is finally getting remade.
Y'know at this point it's pretty much moved to underrated, FF7 never gets mentioned on this site unless it's someone complaining it's overrated.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
WolvDragon said:
And according to the OP, people wanted a remake. Funny, I though they wanted a remaster.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
mad825 said:
WolvDragon said:
And according to the OP, people wanted a remake. Funny, I though they wanted a remaster.
Was the recent PC release not a remaster?

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
elvor0 said:
dragongit said:
Dont forget Shunmue 3. That's three impossible things. THREE. Half Life 3 reveal tomorrow?

WolvDragon said:
Y'know at this point it's pretty much moved to underrated, FF7 never gets mentioned on this site unless it's someone complaining it's overrated.
oh right, Shenmue 3, sorry the news of the first two has sort of lulled me into a mild numbness.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
....this is one of the wildest nights of my life...
...I am such a virgin q-q

Still, fucking hell Sony, pulling out the big guns this yeah! XD

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
elvor0 said:
mad825 said:
WolvDragon said:
Was the recent PC release not a remaster?
It wasn't a remaster per se. It was a REmake (GC) to REmake (PC) kind of remastering where the texture size was revamped.

Ima Lemming

Jan 16, 2009
elvor0 said:
dragongit said:
Square-Enix reveals they're remaking Xenogears with a proper second half.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
elvor0 said:
WolvDragon said:
Just because people don't mention it much on here doesn't mean that its still not gigantically overrated by gamers in general.

Don't get me wrong. Its a decent game, its not bad, I'll probably play this remake in fact. But the amount of obsession people have with it is bordering on the disturbing.

That being said for me its a refreshing positive note after the massive disappointment that was seeing Final Fantasy XV gameplay. Just as long as they don't screw about with the combat system or anything silly like that...keep it traditional and true to form...

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I was JOKING about this yesterday! Fallout 4? Mother 1? The Last Guardian? FF7 REMAKE? Hell, they're all bringing out the big guns this year. All we need now is Half Life 3. What is this, an arms race? Is the video game apocalypse coming? I- I don't know anymore. I think I died and woke up in Valhalla.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Holy dickfarts, it's finally happening. Never thought I'd see the day :O

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Well, it's official. Square Enix has just announced to the world that they are in desperate need of money.

I guess the higher-ups have finally realized that Motomu Toriyama's creepy Pygmalion Complex with his pink-haired waifu wasn't going to be as profitable as they hoped.

I'm really glad Final Fantasy IX did poorly, sale-wise. This means that they'll leave it the fuck alone

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Though put proper context into this announcement and suddenly the excitement melts away like sugar in the rain. 2015 SE is NOT 1997 Squaresoft who made FF7. Instead of guys at the height of their ability we have a team of guys who worked on FF7, but weren't the key players. Furthermore it's being done by Nomura, the guy behind Compilation of FFVII; I dread how he'll shoehorn in the middling Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, and Advent Children stuff that we never wanted and try to "fix" things about the game. This might as well be SE admitting they no longer have any idea of what to do with the franchise and that the last eight entries since VII have been a waste of time.

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
Well, lookee here. Final Fantasy VII is being milked again.

...'Cept it's not a spin-off no one asked for. It's the remake everyone asked for.

Good job, Square Enix. Good job.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
Scrythe said:
Well, it's official. Square Enix has just announced to the world that they are in desperate need of money.

I guess the higher-ups have finally realized that Motomu Toriyama's creepy Pygmalion Complex with his pink-haired waifu wasn't going to be as profitable as they hoped.

I'm really glad Final Fantasy IX did poorly, sale-wise. This means that they'll leave it the fuck alone
As much as I love the fact that VII is finally getting the HD treatment (and possibly more), this was more my line of thought. Square Enix did say that they wouldn't remake VII unless they had a game that surpassed it sales wise right? So this means one of two things:

1. They REALLY need the money, and goodwill that this will generate. After the recent XIII string of games, and other minor controversies surrounding XV this wouldn't surprise me.

2. They have A LOT of faith that XV will, in fact, beat VII sales wise. This ones iffy at best.

I also had one other unpleasant thought. Are they going to redo Cloud's personality to fit with the standard brooding loner that he's been portrayed as in just about every other game he's been featured in? Cause in VII he was a loner, but he was far from broody. He was a smartass mercenary and I liked that about him, I really hope they stick with that and save the broody stuff for when he's dealing with his little existential crisis later in the game.

Also, they better not fucking touch IX! I love that title even more than VII, if they ruin it god help them.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Dreadman75 said:
I also had one other unpleasant thought. Are they going to redo Cloud's personality to fit with the standard brooding loner that he's been portrayed as in just about every other game he's been featured in? Cause in VII he was a loner, but he was far from broody. He was a smartass mercenary and I liked that about him, I really hope they stick with that and save the broody stuff for when he's dealing with his little existential crisis later in the game.
I completely agree.

After Zack's death, the shot at the end with Cloud on the train hints that his cockiness is somewhat prevalent. I'm also really hoping that it stays like that for this remake. I know the scene was supposed to hearken back to the beginning of FFVII, but here's to hoping that they actually remember how that game went.

Despite Lightning being and admitted Rule 63 of Cloud, I would at least find it amusing if Cloud could get a pink wig during that Don Corneo sequence just to rub that in.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
[edit] I just wanted to add.. can we call this event the Milkening?

LOL I really can't believe they finally did it. I thought I'd be more cynical about the whole damn thing. Like I thought I'd be like hey F-you Square, you've got my money for the last time. But I'm actually really really excited. Really excited.

I mean I hope they have the guts to make it an old school RPG and keep the system roughly close to the original spirit.

That being said they've done worse to the series already.

Scrythe said:
lol I'm with you there...