Final Fantasy VII Remake Coming to PS4

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
They went and did it. They finally, actually did it. Someone at Square-Enix has gone and pushed the gigantic goddamned button labeled "In case of Emergency, make a Final Fantasy VII Remake".

I think that this has to be Square's final chance to prove that they're still a competent game developer. Final Fantasy XII was a mixed bag (if you can ignore how useless and unneeded the two dumb kid characters were it's considerably better), the original Final Fantasy XIII was pretty, but a flawed mess story and gameplay-wise. The sequels to Final Fantasy XIII were silly dress-up games that slowly assassinated any character Lightning may have had (which really wasn't *that* much to begin with), and Final Fantasy XIV looks like a Backstreet Boys reunion game. Kingdom Hearts III is still vaporware and let's not forget that All The Bravest is a thing that continues to exist.

Square-Enix *can't* screw this up. If they go and screw up a Final Fantasy VII remake, literally the biggest softball in all of gaming, that's it. That's freaking it. Stick a fork in them, they're done as a game developer. So hold onto your butts and cross your fingers, because now we finally get to see if Square-Enix still has any of the old magic left from when they actually made good RPG's.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
But why? Like seriously, why? What's the point of making the 100th remake of FF7? Is Square officially more creatively bankrupt than EA?
Remake =\= Remaster =\= Spinoff's

Get your facts straight. This is the first and only Remake of the game.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
BiH-Kira said:
CaptainMarvelous said:
BiH-Kira said:
But why? Like seriously, why? What's the point of making the 100th remake of FF7? Is Square officially more creatively bankrupt than EA?
But... this is the first remake?
They did some spin offs a couple of years ago but aside from a PC port FF7 hasn't been remade ever?
What are you talking about?
Well remake it might be, but weren't there a shitload of remastered versions for every console since the PS2?

I might be wrong and in that case I take it back. I might have confused with with something else.
They did a PS store release of FFVII but that was about it.

FFIVon the other hand has had about 5 from SNES to GBA to 3DS to PSP so it's not that you don't have a case, just not with VII.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
CaptainMarvelous said:
BiH-Kira said:
CaptainMarvelous said:
BiH-Kira said:
But... this is the first remake?
They did some spin offs a couple of years ago but aside from a PC port FF7 hasn't been remade ever?
What are you talking about?
Well remake it might be, but weren't there a shitload of remastered versions for every console since the PS2?

I might be wrong and in that case I take it back. I might have confused with with something else.

FFIVon the other hand has had about 5 from SNES to GBA to 3DS to PSP so it's not that you don't have a case, just not with VII.
I probably mixed them up somehow. My bad.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
BiH-Kira said:
CaptainMarvelous said:

I probably mixed them up somehow. My bad.
It happens dude, don't sweat it.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Draconalis said:
This is pretty much how I feel about it... I liked that ff7's cut scenes felt more like an anime than this hyper realistic shit we have to deal with these days.

And I've avoided every ff7 spin off in order to not corrupt the core story with their shitty Retcons. Will I have to do that with this game too? Or will they not shoe horn that shit in.
Knowing Nomura, he will because if he wasn't an idiot he never would have made Compilation of FFVII. That's the problem when people try to argue that he was a key player in FFVII, he never shows any signs of it. All his interpretations of the characters are completely counter to how they really were in the game. Cloud was not a brooding loner, he was a Han Solo-lite smartass cynic. Aerith was not some pure maiden, she was a perky, girly flirt (who at one point threatened to stomp a dude's nards off). He couldn't even understand them at FACE value his readings of them were so bad.

And then we also get into another problem: there's nothing about FF that needs fixing. It's not like the first three titles which have aged pretty badly and thus needed HUGE updates when SE remade them (such as the TONS of grinding in them) nor is it fundamentally broken like FFVIII (which would basically need entire mechanics scrapped). At worst the narrative might need an updated translation, but that's really it. The plot is still fine (there are no sections that drag and everything serves a purpose), the characters are memorable and interesting, and Materia is still one of the best mechanics in RPGs to date, having a lot of breadth and depth but being very easy to understand. People SAY they wanted this remake, but their not going to get the remake they envisioned. When it comes out (which could be forever considering how Nomura has zero sense of urgency) it's not going to have FFVII's spirit at all.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Alfador_VII said:
It looks amazing.

The most interesting thing is right at the end "first on Playstation 4"

Does this mean, it might come to PC soonish? :D
It is not an exclusive, so it planned for more platform(s).

Safe bet would be Xbox One it closest resembles the development specs of PS4.
However Just a PC version. Or all three (XBO, PC, and WiiU)
We will probably find out that the Square press event.

*Update After looking at some other new Square releases, it is probably PS4, Xbox One, and PC

At the Square Press Event, they are only announcing the PS4 version at this time, but expect more announcements on the game later dates.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Baldr said:
Alfador_VII said:
It looks amazing.

Well both PS4 and Xbox One are basically mid-range gaming PCs, so not exactly hard to port FFVII to PC :)

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Alfador_VII said:
Baldr said:
Alfador_VII said:
It looks amazing.

Well both PS4 and Xbox One are basically mid-range gaming PCs, so not exactly hard to port FFVII to PC :)
I could give an hour long lecture on how it not that easy to port console to PC. There are other things to consider if there are enough consumers target base have enough of these mid-ranged PCs to sell the game well. Remember a large portion of people out there have will have low-end computers, basically barely meeting requirements.

Nailzzz

Apr 6, 2015
Finally. I'll wait for it to come out on PC. Now to wait for an announcement of a updated version of FF:Tactics coming to PC and all will be right with the world and square will take even more of my money.

kyp275

Mar 27, 2012
Scrythe said:
Well, it's official. Square Enix has just announced to the world that they are in desperate need of money.
Except you know, SE actually release regular quarter financial reports, and have been doing quite well since FF14 ARR launched.

Dreadman75 said:
Huh. I keep forgetting FF XIV is a thing that still exists. Not in any sort of snarky, derisive way mind you. I just don't play it myself and I don't hear much about it anywhere so I just keep forgetting about it. But now that you mention it that could very well be the case. If so, good for XIV!
Actually, FF7 would still be leading in the sales number, as FF7 is nearing 11 million copies in sales after the various re-releases over the years, while FF14 has just broken the 4 million accounts mark. That being said, if you want to talk actual profit, there is little doubt that FF14 annihilates FF7 in actual profit generated.

vagabondwillsmile said:
Those are good points, especially the first one. It's true that since FFVII, there have been many powerful, emotional, stories. So there is that possibility that today's audiences, having already been primed for and exposed to stuff with more meat, may not be as profoundly affected as gamers for whom FFVII was their very first exposure to that kind of story telling. It does make sense; I totally see where you are coming from.
You can see where they're coming from, doesn't actually validate their statements though. I mean, what they're doing is basically jumping into a C4 Corvette, and then go "hmmm.... meh, nothing special, this is overrated!", because they just drove a spanking new C7 Corvette.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Better give us the PC version as well Square or I swear to all the Heavens we will riot.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
What a time to be alive. FF7, The Last Guardian, Shenmue 3... we're short of one Polybius machine from singularity.

kyp275

Mar 27, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
What a time to be alive. FF7, The Last Guardian, Shenmue 3... we're short of one Polybius machine from singularity.
Half Life 3?

I mean, why not? Hell has already frozen over, and pigs have been airborne since yesterday.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Ugh, I'm sad to see Square Enix wasting resources on something old. Again. I understand that the fans want it, so whatever, fine, remake it, but the game doesn't really hold up to today's standards if this is just going to be the same game on graphical steroids. FFVII was good, but I find it to just be mediocre compared to the rest of the franchise.

The upside is that this remake could be more than a face-lift; it's a chance for them to tell a better version of their original story. The downside is that it will probably take all of the spin-off shit (including Cloud's new mopey personality) into account and lump it in there.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
I think we can all have faith in this remake at least being very true to the original. After all, Square is on thin ice with the public as it is. Can you imagine the fresh hell that will rain down upon them if they fuck this up?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Ha! Looks like I made 30 bucks.
All the old guard Japanese publishers (save possibly Nintendo) are getting desperate or tired and it shows.
This was inevitable.

I was a fan of FF7 when it was new, making me one of those gamers it's apparently cool to "hate" for liking such an "overrated" game...and I've been against a remake because I HAVE ACTUALLY SEEN WHAT SQUEENIX IS WILLING TO SELL UNDER THE FF7 FRANCHISE, and it ranges from "decent" to "heroin-snorting-stupid".

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
kyp275 said:
Scrythe said:
Well, it's official. Square Enix has just announced to the world that they are in desperate need of money.
Except you know, SE actually release regular quarter financial reports, and have been doing quite well since FF14 ARR launched.

Dreadman75 said:
Huh. I keep forgetting FF XIV is a thing that still exists. Not in any sort of snarky, derisive way mind you. I just don't play it myself and I don't hear much about it anywhere so I just keep forgetting about it. But now that you mention it that could very well be the case. If so, good for XIV!
Actually, FF7 would still be leading in the sales number, as FF7 is nearing 11 million copies in sales after the various re-releases over the years, while FF14 has just broken the 4 million accounts mark. That being said, if you want to talk actual profit, there is little doubt that FF14 annihilates FF7 in actual profit generated.

vagabondwillsmile said:
Those are good points, especially the first one. It's true that since FFVII, there have been many powerful, emotional, stories. So there is that possibility that today's audiences, having already been primed for and exposed to stuff with more meat, may not be as profoundly affected as gamers for whom FFVII was their very first exposure to that kind of story telling. It does make sense; I totally see where you are coming from.

You can see where they're coming from, doesn't actually validate their statements though. I mean, what they're doing is basically jumping into a C4 Corvette, and then go "hmmm.... meh, nothing special, this is overrated!", because they just drove a spanking new C7 Corvette.
I'm under no obligation to validate someone else's thoughts or what one says about those thoughts. He and I disagree generally, but I made my points (all of which are valid), he made his (all of which are equally valid), I acknowledged how one point in particular, seemingly a foundation for his opinion is a good one, and that I understand it and respect it - even if I don't necessarily share it. This is not a problem. There is no need to "validate" subjective opinions or how they differ from person to person; simple acknowledgement will do just fine. And in context, your analogy is much more simple than the point was he was making. I mean you boiled it down to it's basic logical essence I suppose, but that's not really doing it justice. We were just having a friendly, respectful conversation.