Final Fantasy VII Remake Trailer Offers First Glimpse of New Combat

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Meh, I'll remain cautiously optimistic. Still, it looks pretty good art-wise... though why they decided to give Barret shades baffles me. It's a minor thing, but still, why?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I'm on board. Not sure about the combat--I like being able to control all members in my party, instead of letting the AI handle it. Those fights against Ruby and Emerald required some serious prep and execution to get through them. Otherwise, it looks great. Looking forward to seeing what the others look like, and how they're going to handle the story. From what I saw, it looks like they're staying extremely true to it. I was recognizing lines and scenes all over the place.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Can we fuck off with this half turn based, half action game?

I loved the turn based stuff of FFX (the only FF I've played) 'cos it allowed you to think, turned a typical DMC style game into more a chess match. It was more of a puzzle game than a button masher and I think it's great that you can have an interesting puzzle game ... sure portal was good and other puzzle games do an ok job but a pretty chess, that doesn't look or feel like chess is great

This "active combat" started off with FFX-2 (as far as I know), which is universally thought of as an abortion of a game. Keeping that in mind, why are they still doing this half and half game play?

Am I in minority here? I was always of the opinion that if you want to play an action game you played an action game, God of War, DMC etc but if you want to play the thinking mans game, you throw in a JRPG.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Cloud here looks like a meth addict. I like the Smash model far more. It's more true to the classic.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Tanis said:
Looks like FF7 post Advent Children.

So, nay/yay?

Still not very excited about it.

Maybe when FF6 gets a proper HD remake I'll care.

Maybe it's like for Atlus to be given control of such things?
But... if they remake FF6 like that it won't be all pixel arty and charming and stuff... :(

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
They gave Barret sunglasses?! HERESY! Worst game of the year for sure.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
"Real-time combat"

And with that they have totally ruined the remake.

Seriously. What the hell is wrong with Square Enix? Can you people not actually make a proper Final Fantasy game anymore? You've not made a decent one since FFX and that was FOURTEEN YEARS AGO. Stop, just STOP with these absolute abominations of half-real time systems. They're utter tosh.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Two things about the combat:

1: Don't I hear a lot of people complaining these days about how turn-based combat is old fashioned and sucks? Or have I just imagined such grumblings in the past about games that featured turn-based combat?

2: I can't remember if FF15 actually had a demo or if it was just a gameplay video that I saw...but the combat seems to be like what I saw in that. Of course, FF15 could just be a rip-off of KH's combat...sooooo yeah. :p

OT: Too bad those soldiers set their phasers to miss. Hey-ooohhhh!

...wonder how many people will get that joke. :p

Anyways, I'll reserve my judgement until the reviews for it come out. A lot of people seem to be salivating over the Cloud In Drag sequence. Personally I'm wondering if they'll let Barret keep his foul mouth. I seem to recall in the original every other line he said had a "$#&%" in it.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
MonsterCrit said:
Complaints about it not being ATB
omega 616 said:
Even more complaints about it not being ATB
Lightspeaker said:
Still more
None of you are reading the other comments, are you?

I'm not saying it is going to be ATB, but it certainly could be. There is evidence of it in the trailer. Or perhaps some hybrid. We'll see if we get more gameplay trailers.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
This looks like Kindom Hearts and FFXV's combat. I like the combat in those games. I will probably like the combat in this game.

I honestly don't know why anybody's surprised, Nomura hates turn based battle. Nearly every game he's directed has been an action game focused on over the top animation, because in many ways he is an animator before he is a game designer. Who honestly expected this to be different?

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
The only thing that bugs me is Cloud's personality and how he carries himself because...

...as I recall, didn't Cloud have Zack's personality at that point in FF7? Zack is described in Crisis Core as being like a puppy, short attention span and unable to sit still. He would to showboat to the point of recklessness, endangered a mission to play with young Yuffie (and keep her from getting hurt) and desperately wanted to be a hero.

It seems like everything relating to Cloud these days wants to portray Cloud the emo. Which is fine when it's post-Lifestream-dip Cloud or pre-Nibelheim-Incident Cloud, but makes no sense outside of that. Especially when it's the contrast between Zack and Cloud's personalities that makes Cloud's personality shift so drastic.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
cojo965 said:
So much for "You guys showed us that traditional sells" huh guys?
You showed Nomura nothing. This is not a man who cares about Final Fantasy's traditional game design, and did not care about it back when other directors at Square were still big fans. This is a man who is less inclined to make this a typically paced turn based game than he is to make it a damn musical. Love him or hate him, he hardly speaks for the direction the company as a whole is taking in terms of turn based combat in games.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I'll finally be able to play through FFVII after so many years! I like the way it looks personally. I've tried to play the original, but it never clicked with me. Anything to modernize the original would have been nice, but they really went all out to make the game more like the new Final Fantasies. Pretty bold, considering lots of people would want the game to not be changed too much.

It's clear they are using FFXV's engine and combat style, which makes sense. I will be looking forward to this for sure.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Revnak said:
cojo965 said:
You showed Nomura nothing. This is not a man who cares about Final Fantasy's traditional game design, and did not care about it back when other directors at Square were still big fans. This is a man who is less inclined to make this a typically paced turn based game than he is to make it a damn musical. Love him or hate him, he hardly speaks for the direction the company as a whole is taking in terms of turn based combat in games.
Uh, are you sure? Because his style for Flare over Substance can be found all over the Final Fantasy franchise now. All the fuck over it. There are currently NO Triple-A turn-based RPGs coming from Square-Enix that aren't simply hand-held titles. Nomura fucking annoys me and his multi-belted, pretty-boy character designs all look the same to me at this point.

Frankly, the system looks a lot more like FFXV, which is hardly anything like Kingdom Hearts. I'm not ready to call foul on it just yet, because for years Nomura has specifically said that he does not WANT to do a remake, but if he did, he would be wanting the team to go with a completely new combat system, because he doesn't really know how to direct anything else. But I'm also not someone that even WANTED a remake of FFVII, so I don't have much of a dog in this fight to begin with.

Sure is pretty, though.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
God, the lip synching is terrible. Really hope that that's just because they haven't gotten the English animations ready yet.

Dialogue also feels stilted; I'm looking directly at the bit with Wedge asking Cloud if he's in it to save the planet. Sure, the original game was stilted too, but it's easier to gloss over when it's text.

Would have thought that Square had learned a thing or two regarding translation work in the nearly 2 decades since FF7's release, but apparently not; all that those great graphics are gonna do is call attention to how terrible and horribly paced the original dialogue was.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
So they've finished the what, first hour of the game?

I'm honestly not impressed, but I can't figure out if it's the english dub or the fact that the first part of that game bores me to tears after all of these years. Also, it looks an awful lot like the straight corridors of ffxiii. I'm really hoping the combat is stil ATB turned based; I don't recall an hd remake necessarily entailing an overhaul of the gameplay.

I hate to say it, but even if it sucks I'll probably still get it on a steam sale (assuming a pc release).

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Sheo_Dagana said:
Revnak said:
cojo965 said:
Uh, are you sure? Because his style for Flare over Substance can be found all over the Final Fantasy franchise now. All the fuck over it. There are currently NO Triple-A turn-based RPGs coming from Square-Enix that aren't simply hand-held titles. Nomura fucking annoys me and his multi-belted, pretty-boy character designs all look the same to me at this point.
True enough. Square has kinda let Nomura define the company's core output at this point. I don't know why, beyond him being the only successful veteran director they have at this point, because the man is obviously insane and the suits seem to be absolutely terrible at actually putting the screws to him and getting him to listen.

They do seem to want to go another direction in some cases, XIV's changes being a good sign, but they really do need to make some more visible attempts to change if they want to win back the people they lost with XIII.

On a side note, I like Nomura as a game director and for the focus he puts on animation. His character designs and writing are hit or miss with me though.

Frankly, the system looks a lot more like FFXV, which is hardly anything like Kingdom Hearts. I'm not ready to call foul on it just yet, because for years Nomura has specifically said that he does not WANT to do a remake, but if he did, he would be wanting the team to go with a completely new combat system, because he doesn't really know how to direct anything else. But I'm also not someone that even WANTED a remake of FFVII, so I don't have much of a dog in this fight to begin with.

Sure is pretty, though.
Has he really been saying that? That's amazing. Combine that with the fact that he didn't even know they wanted him to direct it until it was announced and this really looks like Square just has no clue what in the world they're doing with Nomura.

And do you really find the system in XV that different from KH? I thought they played pretty similarly.