Final Fantasy VII Remake Trailer Offers First Glimpse of New Combat

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
ZeroAxis said:
http://kotaku.com/sounds-like-the-final-fantasy-vii-remake-will-be-episod-1746564216?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

If this is true, then it kills it for me.
Translation - We can't be assed doing the overworld or non-linear parts of the game. Most likely. And probably with that, that optional areas get cut (How would you jam Wutai into an episodic narrative of the story?). Or if we take the ore jaded view, Wutai, Weapon Battles, and such end up as DLC/Preorder bonus missions.

I mean, I don't like FF7 now, and even in its heyday, was never engaged enough to bother finishing it, but this whole thing will probably be a disaster. A financially succesful one, since fanboys have probably already quintuple-funded its budget with pre-orders by now, but a disaster eventually nonetheless.

ZeroAxis

Apr 11, 2010
http://go.ign.com/1EXFsTn

Yeah it's true, and the hype is dead for me. Can't wait for the Materia microtransactions. Within hours of this announcement was this:

https://www.change.org/p/square-enix-petition-to-release-final-fantasy-7-remake-under-one-release-and-not-episodic?recruiter=442762094&utm_source=share_for_starters&utm_medium=copyLink

This is like waking up to breakfast in bed of steak and eggs, eating it ( most delicious on earth ), just to try and get outta bed and find out they amputated your leg in your sleep, cooked it, and fed it to you as steak. That's how Square-Enix makes me feel right now.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I don't mind real gameplay over turnbased in theory. I'm indifferent on the effect this change will have for me. I never even played FF7 so there's little nostalgia to make me not accept changes.

Its more of the principal aspect that bothers me. FF7 turned away from turned based combat sends a message and its not one I like. FF is the posterchild of a series that in itself is the posterchild of the turn based battle system, even if that reputation stems more from the past then the present. FF7 is the game that made the turn based rpg mainstream. If that very game deliberate turns away from turn based combat it implies there truly is no place for mainstrain turn based rpg's anymore in this modern generation.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
ZeroAxis said:
http://go.ign.com/1EXFsTn

Yeah it's true, and the hype is dead for me. Can't wait for the Materia microtransactions. Within hours of this announcement was this:

https://www.change.org/p/square-enix-petition-to-release-final-fantasy-7-remake-under-one-release-and-not-episodic?recruiter=442762094&utm_source=share_for_starters&utm_medium=copyLink

This is like waking up to breakfast in bed of steak and eggs, eating it ( most delicious on earth ), just to try and get outta bed and find out they amputated your leg in your sleep, cooked it, and fed it to you as steak. That's how Square-Enix makes me feel right now.
If you read why they're doing it this way then it makes sense

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1152062

But hey, let's all just jump to hyperbole and worst possible conclusions instead.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
I have been saying since the announcement that they would mess it up. This is just more evidence that proves me right.

I would rather they just keep the game exactly the same wth HD assets Think FF4 remake but with higher quality assets.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
High hopes, low expectations. IMO at least the action-oriented combat seems better than the boring autocombat from FF XIII. But it would be kinda disappointing if you end up able to fight only as Cloud.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Lightknight said:
The voice acting and writing has me more worried than the fighting system.
Can't be worse than FF X, can be?

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
CaitSeith said:
High hopes, low expectations. IMO at least the action-oriented combat seems better than the boring autocombat from FF XIII. But it would be kinda disappointing if you end up able to fight only as Cloud.
No need to worry there. They said in an interview that you'll be able to switch between each of the three party members during combat.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Revnak said:
They do seem to want to go another direction in some cases, XIV's changes being a good sign, but they really do need to make some more visible attempts to change if they want to win back the people they lost with XIII.
If they took 10% of what Nomura gets given to waste on his generic bishy characters and gave it to Yoshida we could have legitimate mid-core content and actually difficult 4 man content O:

Or just let Yoshida have a bit more say in some stuff, he is an Executive Producer now and has some pull, turning one of their biggest flops a full 180. Though the FFXIV fanbase is far too complacent and hates any who dare critique things with the game.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
First impressions:
-I really really REALLY dislike Barret's redesign. Besides the shades he looks thinner and sleeker when in the originals he was this wide brickhouse that you could easily fit 2 or 3 of the other characters within.
-I'm not fond of the voice acting...
-Combat looks like Crisis Core/Parasite Eve/Kingdom Hearts, I can work with that.
-I really hope they ain't going with the widely accepted "emo Cloud" persona that was unanimously decided to be Cloud's personality when he wasn't like that in the original games at all..
For gods sake people, Cloud had an actual sense of humor and everything!
-Graphics look pretty at least.

Draconalis said:
aegix drakan said:
Draconalis said:
aegix drakan said:
(Seriously, NO ONE used Nanaki
I was unaware my name had changed to No One.
:eek: Oh wow, you're a rarity.

I thought I was the only one who tried using him on a regular basis. Everyone else I know who played the game could not stand his limit breaks and just didn't use him at all outside of Cosmo Canyon and stuck with Cloud, Cid, and Barret most of the time.
My team consists of Cloud, Nanaki, and Tifa/Cid (depending on how I feel at that moment. I like them both as characters)

And that was it. I could use the characters I LIKED versus the characters that were Meta, because besides their limits, they were all effectively the same.
*brofists Draconalis*

We used the exact same team bro' Cloud/Red/Tifa or Cid 4 life.

Seriously though I always thought Red was actually one of the most popular characters around xD

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
The White Hunter said:
Revnak said:
They do seem to want to go another direction in some cases, XIV's changes being a good sign, but they really do need to make some more visible attempts to change if they want to win back the people they lost with XIII.
If they took 10% of what Nomura gets given to waste on his generic bishy characters and gave it to Yoshida we could have legitimate mid-core content and actually difficult 4 man content O:

Or just let Yoshida have a bit more say in some stuff, he is an Executive Producer now and has some pull, turning one of their biggest flops a full 180. Though the FFXIV fanbase is far too complacent and hates any who dare critique things with the game.
Well, they definitely should be putting him in charge of their major projects, that's for certain, though I doubt Nomura's pay for character design is enough to cover that. Seriously, I do not get why the entirety of Square's failings are pinned on a guy who's generally directed good games.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Frankster said:
*brofists Draconalis*

We used the exact same team bro' Cloud/Red/Tifa or Cid 4 life.

Seriously though I always thought Red was actually one of the most popular characters around xD
*bump* Fa lalalalalalala

I always loved Nanaki's character, but My buddy who games the system pointed out to me, years ago, why he "sucks".

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
At first I saw this and was like, "Wow they are a lot further along in development than anyone thought. Look at all these scenes they have done!" Then I was like, "Oh....this is literally only the first reactor mission stuff. There is 99.99% of the game to finish. Fuck me."

I want to see more. I hope that they allow all the weapons in the game to still have unique models, and show those models on the out of combat characters. I wanna steal Hardedge, and Mythril weapons. I want ultimate weapons and all that shit.

I also loved how they kept the first scene of the game original. Having Biggs and Jesse knock out the guards by the train gave me the feels.

The trailer seems pretty good though.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Real time combat? Good, even the worst of Action RPGs are vastly superior to turn based ones by any reasonable standard and only nostalgia goggles could make anyone say otherwise, and this is coming from someone that grew up on turn based RPGs. Turn based combat has no reason to exist anymore, at least in the big budget games so I'm glad to see that sensible heads prevailed and realized how utterly ridiculous it would be to just use the old combat system with a shiny new coat of paint as some less than sensible people seem to want. I don't care if there's some "wait to fill up a gauge before you can attack a few times" mechanic as the ATB bar in the vid seems to suggest, as long and I can zip around the battlefield performing dodging moves and blocking attacks that's good enough for me.

The lip syncing was terrible, but they have time to fix that. The voice acting was pretty good for what little they showed of it, and it seems to be trying to be faithful to the original story so props for that.

There hasn't been anything thus far that has made me think this is going to be a half assed remake. Far from it, everything I've seen shows that it has WAAAAAY better graphics, combat system, and story presentation, like a remake should.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Saltyk said:
With all due respect, by that logic, the video proves nothing. For all we know, the combat is an updated version of the same system from Chrono Trigger. And I've had mixed feelings on the last several games. I don't even disagree with you. But I always judge each game on it's own merits. And there is very little to go on with this so far. So, I'm not throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
There's very little to go on other than roughly fourteen years of utterly garbage battle systems in Final Fantasy games coming out of that company.

Lightspeaker said:
FF13 was a hybrid and had fairly awful gameplay because of its action game influence.
Honestly, I played FFXIII again recently. And if they had slowed combat down a bit (down to the game's slow speed) and allowed you to control all three characters by switching between them after inputting commands I think the combat would have been pretty good. Those would have been some relatively minor changes.
Perhaps, but they didn't. That's the whole point. With the goal of making it 'faster paced with more action' they produced a system where couldn't control two thirds of your party, and where the one party member you could control had bugger all options to choose from.

I'm one of the few people who defends FF13 as not being as bad as some said it was. But even I can't deny the battle system is pretty much godawful.

Lightspeaker said:
FF12 was similarly a hybrid and was easily the worst entry in the entire franchise. An absolute sickening abomination of a title that seemed designed to be an MMO but in single player form.
FFXII is probably the worst game in the franchise in my opinion. Mostly because I hate Vaan. However, I wouldn't have minded the Gambit system if we were given access to the various Gambits right off the bat. But making the player buy them and not even having access to the full collection at any store seemed arbitrary. And it really limited what you could do with the system for no reason.
Running around battling in the open world with an automated combat system was probably the single worst idea they've ever had for a Final Fantasy game. Its literally the only FF game I've been 'forced' to stop playing out of simply how godawful it was. And I've tried to play it on at least half a dozen occasions by now, because I kinda like the scope of the story.

Lightspeaker said:
They need to just stop with this insanity honestly. Its utter nonsense. If this turns out to be just a remodelled FFXV system then its going to be terrible; because the XV system is pretty damn awful.
I watched some videos of people playing FFXV. It didn't look terrible. It looked kinda fun, actually. Had a Kingdom Hearts feel to it.
I've played it. The demo I mean. And you say that like its a GOOD thing.

No, having a Kingdom Hearts feel to it is a very, very bad thing. Very bad. If this was a Kingdom Hearts game then I'd say it was a good thing. Its not Kingdom Hearts. I've got Kingdom Hearts. I quite like Kingdom Hearts. This isn't Kingdom Hearts, its Final Fantasy. Specifically its a Final Fantasy VII remake. It should have a traditional Final Fantasy feel to it.

Lightspeaker said:
You'd think, having published Bravely Default recently, they'd know what a proper, traditional Final Fantasy should look like. I blame the MMOs personally. FFXI seemed to melt their collective brains. They've not made a good Final Fantasy since that launched.
Having played the MMOs, I actually liked both of them.
The battle systems in MMOs fundamentally do not work well for single player games. See also: FFXII

There's very little in this trailer. But what is here, looks good to me. And I'm a cynic.
I'm a realist. They've not produced a good Final Fantasy in fourteen years. What's to say they can suddenly do so now? Are they going to pull FFX or even X-2's combat system on board for this? Because frankly I'd be okay with that.

But if they're going to go the FFXIII route or the Kingdom Hearts route then I'll say it now: they have NO IDEA what they're doing. At all.

Baresark said:
I think the comments are a bit off base, it could still be ATB. ATB simply relies on a time bar to fill and then wants you to input the commands. If characters are moving around and being more active as this bar fills, it's still the ATB. Think of FFXII. It was still ATB but people were moving around and things were going on.
And it was also the absolute worst game in the entire franchise. That battle system absolutely did not work. At all.

Action combat should not be in Final Fantasy games. Period. It flat out doesn't work and it never has. Turn based is far, far superior in every single respect and frankly I outright cannot believe anyone would prefer the action RPG style.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Lightspeaker said:
Baresark said:
I think the comments are a bit off base, it could still be ATB. ATB simply relies on a time bar to fill and then wants you to input the commands. If characters are moving around and being more active as this bar fills, it's still the ATB. Think of FFXII. It was still ATB but people were moving around and things were going on.
And it was also the absolute worst game in the entire franchise. That battle system absolutely did not work. At all.

Action combat should not be in Final Fantasy games. Period. It flat out doesn't work and it never has. Turn based is far, far superior in every single respect and frankly I outright cannot believe anyone would prefer the action RPG style.
Obviously we are going to disagree, but it had one of the best battle systems in the series in my book. Between the battle system and Gambits, it was done extremely well. It is actually my second favorite game in the series between the battle system (which had a great bonus system for attacking and killing the same types of enemies in a row) and the License Board. The world was one of the biggest and most interesting, even if some of the characters were lackluster (Vaan, that little *****, ugh).

It's Ok if we disagree though.