Final Fantasy XIII-2 Review

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Final Fantasy XIII-2 Review

You won't love it, but hey, you probably won't hate it. That's something, right?

Read Full Article

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Nice Dr Who parody you added at the credit.
I know for one thing is that my bro will be picking up this for sure despite the changes and flaws you had mention.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Doctor Who ending music FTW!!

I dunno. Final Fantasy has always been on the slow boil for me. Don't see this changing that

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Everything I've heard and seen about the game suggests that the gameplay is better...

But everything I've read about the plot makes it sound at least three times as crappy and convoluted as XIII's.

Dec 14, 2009
PSN had the FF series going cheap, so yesterday I bought FF7 and FF8.

That's all the JRPG goodness I'll need for a while.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I'm the complete opposite of most people. I absolutely hate all Final Fantasy games, except 13. I love FF13. I think 13-2 is a step backwards for me.

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
The battle system was one of the few things I liked about FFXIII. If that's basically the same but the plot and level design are better, could this game be worth a purchase?

Susan, you've given me a lot to think about. I'm going to sit here and ponder this very deeply.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Mahorfeus said:
Everything I've heard and seen about the game suggests that the gameplay is better...

But everything I've read about the plot makes it sound at least three times as crappy and convoluted as XIII's.
Actually, it's not that bad. The times when it gets the most dense are the times it ties into XIII. It also tends to repeat ideas enough to let them to sink in.

That said, it's not the most compelling plot you're ever going to encounter. Serah and Noel are likeable enough that you want them to succeed, but you likely won't care about just about anyone else.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
I was on the fence about 13-2 from the very beginning even after playing the demo. That is until I heard there's a lovely 'to be continued' at the end, which just doesn't sit right for me at all in this case. I'd be happy to hear if that's not as bad as I'm imagining, but I really don't think a JRPG should ever end on a cliffhanger.

I still think I might go buy the old FFs on PSN today instead...
Daystar Clarion said:

Oh someone beat me to that. Cool beans

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Marshall Honorof said:
The battle system was one of the few things I liked about FFXIII-2. If that's basically the same but the plot and level design are better, could this game be worth a purchase?

Susan, you've given me a lot to think about. I'm going to sit here and ponder this very deeply.
Without having played either game, I can only speculate, but FFXIII-2's combat is probably pretty close to FFXIII-2's combat. I suspect the level design and story to be about the same as well.

Dec 14, 2009
burningdragoon said:
I was on the fence about 13-2 from the very beginning even after playing the demo. That is until I heard there's a lovely 'to be continued' at the end, which just doesn't sit right for me at all in this case. I'd be happy to hear if that's not as bad as I'm imagining, but I really don't think a JRPG should ever end on a cliffhanger.

Daystar Clarion said:

Go for it.

I'm letting the nostalgia times roll :D

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Scars Unseen said:
Without having played either game, I can only speculate, but FFXIII-2's combat is probably pretty close to FFXIII-2's combat. I suspect the level design and story to be about the same as well.
That sounds about right. Let's hear it for posting in the morning.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
FF games have always been about the story and characters for me and as I hated everything about the story and characters in XIII I will not bother. The only thing that can save the series now is Verses or 15 (depends which is relesed first). if they fuck up whichever comes first then the series is dead to me.

I was excited about 10-2 and was disapointed (except for the bonus ending. I liked that). I was excited about 12 and was disapointed to find a bad Return of the Jedi rip off. I was excited about 13 and hated everything about it. I have no more excitment left for Final Fantasy and it makes me sad as FF 7,8,9 and 10 are four of my favorite games.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
burningdragoon said:

Daystar Clarion said:

JRPGs are too long and require too much investment to end on "to be continued". I'm so glad I gave up on this series in the 90's :/

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
A couple of questions:

1) Do the quick time events ever get God of War annoying?

2) If you didn't want to use monsters, could you play without them or are they required to advance?

3) How difficult do the puzzles get?

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
I don't get what everyone is so pissed about. FFXIII was the single most revolutionary game in the entire YEAR! It dared to do what no other game did. Attempt to make the player as redundant as possible. In JRPG's the action and narrative was already driven by the characters without any input from the player, you know, like the famous yes or no question that can only be answered with Yes,

But FFXIII took it a step further. It completely automated combat. The only reason you would play a JRPG, cause hey your not here to listen to all the teenage angst, and Square Enix just told the player go stand in the corner whilst the AI fights for him.

Soon Square won't need "players" any more, you just load the disk into the console and enjoy a 80 hour movie.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
1337mokro said:
I don't get what everyone is so pissed about. FFXIII was the single most revolutionary game in the entire YEAR! It dared to do what no other game did. Attempt to make the player as redundant as possible. In JRPG's the action and narrative was already driven by the characters without any input from the player, you know, like the famous yes or no question that can only be answered with Yes,

But FFXIII took it a step further. It completely automated combat. The only reason you would play a JRPG, cause hey your not here to listen to all the teenage angst, and Square Enix just told the player go stand in the corner whilst the AI fights for him.

Soon Square won't need "players" any more, you just load the disk into the console and enjoy a 80 hour movie.
This attitude is funny. Final Fantasy XIII requires the player to be really paying attention or you will get your ass kicked. It does not play itself.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
I lol'd at the credits.

FFXII-2 does look better then XIII so I might pick it up
Having Said that XIII really pissed me off so maybe not.