Final Fantasy XIII Ditches Leveling Up for "Crystalium"

grimsprice

Jun 28, 2009
The DSM said:
I never remember leveling up being broken, why try to replace a formula that has worked for well over 15 years?
Because a lot of people (me included) think that that "formula" is linear, boring, and allows absolutely no customization of your character. You can't be who you want to be, only who the character is. Which is boring. Having more control over which path you want to take is always a good thing. Examples being Fallout3 and Oblivion.

Jun 6, 2009
Why does this remind me of Fable?

Plus, it's a redundant and stupid change. I loved the system they had.

I think Lisence points, were the last straw for me.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
The Sphere was one of the easiest skilling up systems to exploit, so obviously I'm chuffed to bits that it's making a return.

As long as it's nothing like that aweful, aweful licensing system...

I honestly can't play 12 because of that system...
Like I play up the moment the guys who gives you the tutorial says "Hey! you don't have the license for that yet!"

Then I turn my console off...

So yeah, sphere-grid for the win!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
BrotherhoodOfSteel said:

"The System they had"?

Every FF has a different system, dude.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
SharPhoe said:
DrunkWithPower said:
My guess is that "OPTIMA CHANGE!" is french for "DIGIVOLVE TO!"
I would gladly play a Final Fantasy/Digimon crossover.

I also loved the Sphere grid, as it was also the first time that a character limits could be put WELL BEYOND anything I'd ever seen before. Nothing quite like watching the frail and timid summoner smack a beast in the head for 20k damage.
I have a save game where Yuna and Lulu's melee attacks do 99999 damage apiece.
Their MELEE attacks? No offense intended, but that sounds a wee bit fishy to me...

Which reminds me, I never spent money in that game... contrary to 12, where I never had enough :(

I liked both the licensing and Sphere Grid systems: hopefully this is a delightful combination of both.

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
Wakka accurate
Ha ah hah ha hah ha! Oh, you were serious. Wakka missed about 95% of the time, which is why I never used him.

However, the system does sound interesting, and it will make power-leveling a bit more fun. Didn't like 12 too much, but the Gambit system did make it easy to customize your characters for a particular type of battle. That and i could beat the Hellwyrm by setting the appropriate items and gambits and walking away for 2 hours.

Jun 6, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
BrotherhoodOfSteel said:

"The System they had"?

Every FF has a different system, dude.
Sigh.... Maybe so....

But simple XP to level up is best for me.

Sure, Oblivion was sort of the same breed of FF2, but for some reason I could only accept it in Oblivion, where you don't get XP, you just boost your skills.

It seemed cluttered in FF2, and I'm judging the updated versions on PSP and GBA.

That's why FF1, FF4 and FF6 are my favourites in the series.

Off Topic, but I like your avatar Funk.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
scotth266 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
SharPhoe said:
DrunkWithPower said:

I also loved the Sphere grid, as it was also the first time that a character limits could be put WELL BEYOND anything I'd ever seen before. Nothing quite like watching the frail and timid summoner smack a beast in the head for 20k damage.
Their MELEE attacks? No offense intended, but that sounds a wee bit fishy to me...

Which reminds me, I never spent money in that game... contrary to 12, where I never had enough :(

I liked both the licensing and Sphere Grid systems: hopefully this is a delightful combination of both.
Yep, their melee attacks. Yuna had the entire sphere grid colored in. It was a result of abusing the Master Tonberry fight with a weapon with 3x Overdrive, 3x Sphere Points, and Overdrive -> Sphere Points.

TheGreenManalishi

May 22, 2008
So instead of XP being a measure of how many things you've killed, you earn these new points and exchange them for upgrades?

This could end up being far more tactical and strategic than amassing techniques as you level up.

Jun 11, 2008
The DSM said:
I never remember leveling up being broken, why try to replace a formula that has worked for well over 15 years?
I see what you mean but this system is still leveling it is just leveling with a Zoro mask on it and said system worked fine in FFX and FFXII but they became even more insane grind quests than usual.

SamElliot said:
I loved the Sphere Grid from FFX, just because it meant no longer grinding for several hours before I could take on the next boss. I just hope that they make it more customizable, as in FFXII, because it was a bit strange that they had this system for choosing how you could advance your characters, and then have each grid be essentially one line, with some exceptions.
Those games were worse grindfests than any other Final Fantasy more so FFXII then FFX.
FFX wasn't too bad in comparision to FFXII but the sphere grid got kinda broken after Luca where no monsters dropped Ability Spheres and best skills were kept under so many locks it made my eyes bleed when I saw the work to get them when they aren't even that good when compared to Aeons.

The system sounds alright and flexible enough as long as it doens't have the problems of the forebearers of this similar system with grinding.

Bourne Endeavor

May 14, 2008
... I would just like to say SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I absolutely loved the sphere grid concept primarily because while it allowed open customization the characters were not cookie cutters until the end of the game and obviously by your own choosing. It has been disappointing to see this was never expanded upon in latter FFs or games in general and I can certainly state my excitement for the return of my favorite leveling system to date, albeit in a new variation.

Admittedly I almost feel for fans of Final Fantasy XII that expected a new direction for the FFs series even if they are within a minority. Square has essentially proven that FFX is the focal point in terms of how the game will be handled as with the inclusion of a similar leveling system, we have a primary story and cut-scene focus. I myself cannot wait.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
DrunkWithPower said:
I saw in some english trailers for the game it displayed "Paradigm Shift? on screen, I?m guessing these are probably the same thing just in different versions of the game. It?s probably used when shifting your friendly AI from offence to defense or something like that.

Although digimon would be sweet in the game (I realy miss the original show, it was so much better than Pokemon)

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
scotth266 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
SharPhoe said:
DrunkWithPower said:

Yep, their melee attacks. Yuna had the entire sphere grid colored in. It was a result of abusing the Master Tonberry fight with a weapon with 3x Overdrive, 3x Sphere Points, and Overdrive -> Sphere Points.
Sorry, but being the Square(as well as multiple other companies) fanboy that I am, I have to correct your statement. It's AP (Ability Points), not Sphere Points. As for me, I could only be bothered to max out their Magic damage. Either way, this new system definitely sounds decent. I can't wait to see it.

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
You exchange CP for abilities? Nope, that's definitely nothing like standard leveling up, where you earn points to invest in skills and often progress further down certain skill trees the more points you invest in them. I'm seeing no similarities. Totally revolutionary.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
SharPhoe said:
Disgaea would break your head then ;)
3029484892k!!!
Or something like that. I loved how the damage could go beyond their ability to display. XD