Final Fantasy XIII Ditches Leveling Up for "Crystalium"

Yegargeburble

Nov 11, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
the less said about FF2's horribly broken advance via masochism, dual weild shields nonsense the better.
Advance via masochism, indeed. I liked to think that when monsters ran off as I was having my characters attack themselves it was because they were creeped out by the batshit crazy people beating themselves near to death.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
DrunkWithPower said:
My guess is that "OPTIMA CHANGE!" is french for "DIGIVOLVE TO!"
I would play that game ... actually I would play any decent digimon/rpg cross-over (as long as it isn't one of those cheap-arse ones that gets spewed out of some backwater company).

OT: I am so glad my birthday is in december, it means a) it is cheaper by the time I get it so I can get more prezzies AND b) My friend will play it first and I can get every bit of info about it I want.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
I thought the sphere grid was an interesting design, but less than perfectly implemented, so I'll be curious to see how it turns out. I'd like to see more rpgs trying to do the gradual experience system from world of darkness/cortex system.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Sir John The Net Knight said:
Oh good, FFXIII has a system similar to the sphere grid in FFX.

I hated the sphere grid! It was too damn confusing, it sent you in the most bizarre directions to get skills and abilities. Hopefully, this crystamawhatchawhosit thing will be much less convoluted. Judging by that name, I doubt it.
My thoughts exactly.
I've played FF X a lot and I'm still baffled by it. Hope this one is a little easier to understand.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
That sounds really cool. Good system. Reminds me of another game, I can't think what... Also, was the sphere change system the same in X and X-2? Because I've only played X-2, and I quite enjoyed the combat. Which is good, cause that's the only thing I enjoyed lol.

F8L Fool

Mar 24, 2010
John Funk said:
The latest issue of manga magazine Shonen Jump has some scans and information detailing the game's advancement system, called the "Crystalium" System.
In the US version of the game it's "Crystarium". Was this article just an odd translation error, or what it's actually called in the JP version?

After actually experiencing the system I can't stand it. The way that skills are distributed is wacky. In the end everyone has access to every paradigm class, yet not every ability. I can understand the need for "unique" skills within each Crystarium path, but there's no logical order to it whatsoever.

Some people get skills early, while others get abilities late in the tree or not at all. It's rather odd.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
F8L Fool said:
John Funk said:
The latest issue of manga magazine Shonen Jump has some scans and information detailing the game's advancement system, called the "Crystalium" System.
In the US version of the game it's "Crystarium". Was this article just an odd translation error, or what it's actually called in the JP version?

After actually experiencing the system I can't stand it. The way that skills are distributed is wacky. In the end everyone has access to every paradigm class, yet not every ability. I can understand the need for "unique" skills within each Crystarium path, but there's no logical order to it whatsoever.

Some people get skills early, while others get abilities late in the tree or not at all. It's rather odd.
The translation is a quirk of Japanese to English translation (r's and l's are hard to differentiate).

OT: That's what I love about the crystarium, it means you don't have an army of 6 clones, you have to actually use certain people in certain situations and learn to use everyone well. This was my biggest problem with FF VIII because who you used didn't matter at all since you just junctioned them to however you like.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
DrunkWithPower said:
My guess is that "OPTIMA CHANGE!" is french for "DIGIVOLVE TO!"
Optima change is Paradigm cange, where you can assign different roles on the battlefield ,according to what you've got setup as a team. So for example, jobs on the battlefield. Saboteur casts things like dispel, weaken defense and attack, etc, while a medic.. well that's seld explanatory. A commando does heavy hits against an enemy which causes the stagger gauge to deplete slower, giving you more time to chain attacks. A Ravager does many quick elemental hits and is the magic caster of the group. It takes some getting used to it, but it's a good system. I hope that was enlightening for people who have no idea, or are curious.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Sir John The Net Knight said:
Oh good, FFXIII has a system similar to the sphere grid in FFX.

I hated the sphere grid! It was too damn confusing, it sent you in the most bizarre directions to get skills and abilities. Hopefully, this crystamawhatchawhosit thing will be much less convoluted. Judging by that name, I doubt it.
Trust me... It's a lot less convoluted. For one thing, you can't grind, you can only level up your crystarium to a certain point, before you reach a cap. Said cap then raises itself after you defeat a story specific boss or any of the characters have a major breakthrough in the storyline.
It's execution is sort of similar to the sphere grid, but the difference is in XIII, you don't end up with unbalanced useless charaters that all do the same damn thing.

ElegantSwordsman

Jun 17, 2008
Hm... an action RPG where you earn points to spend on skills based on how you do... Reminds me more of Vagrant Story than anything else. They should really hurry up and remake that on the new gen systems, or failing that, a sequel to it.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Blizzaga19 said:
Oh for god sake.

The following is coming from a Final Fantasy fanboy:

For god sake Square stop killing my favourite game series. I am sick fed up of this piece of crap. I don't care how crappy the game is as long as it has random battles and a proper leveling system with exp points. This is why I still play FFVIII. It was the last FF that, to me, checked all the boxes.

This game has been teetering on the edge of being bought or not due to an xbox version which I told everyone on my friends list that if I caught them playing it on the 360 I would delete them and block them. Now I find out that they have brought a "revised" version of FFX leveling which was rubbish. I couldn't tell where about they were level wise because there was no numbers with the holy word "lvl" infront of them. This means:

[HEADING=2]I am now no longer buying FFXIII[/HEADING]

Good bye Square. Comeback when you remember what made the Final Fantasy games good.
Wait... you're saying that IX didn't have a level up system? Well, that's surprising... I was pretty sure I was on level 92 with Zidane when I beat Ozma, but whatever you say.
Also ,it's not a revised version of FFX's sphere grid. There's a level cap til you beat certain bosses. Characters aren't unbalanced, it's not as confusing or convoluted as FFX, with those annoying unlock spheres, and the track you had to choose. This one's fairly straight forward. You occasionally have a seperate path that takes you to a new powerful ability, but for the most part, it sticks to just one track.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I do love the sphere grid just not a fan of FFX or its shorter dumber cousin FF13....when verses coming out? As FF13 is such a unfinished side project its not even funny anymore....

Hell they should put FF12 on PSN/LIVE and charge 40$ for it only it uses the sphere grid and real polished classes not that BS license grid....would also be nice if they let you equip 3 accessories at once as well....

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Daedalus1942 said:
Blizzaga19 said:
Oh for god sake.

The following is coming from a Final Fantasy fanboy:

For god sake Square stop killing my favourite game series. I am sick fed up of this piece of crap. I don't care how crappy the game is as long as it has random battles and a proper leveling system with exp points. This is why I still play FFVIII. It was the last FF that, to me, checked all the boxes.

This game has been teetering on the edge of being bought or not due to an xbox version which I told everyone on my friends list that if I caught them playing it on the 360 I would delete them and block them. Now I find out that they have brought a "revised" version of FFX leveling which was rubbish. I couldn't tell where about they were level wise because there was no numbers with the holy word "lvl" infront of them. This means:

[HEADING=2]I am now no longer buying FFXIII[/HEADING]

Good bye Square. Comeback when you remember what made the Final Fantasy games good.
Wait... you're saying that IX didn't have a level up system? Well, that's surprising... I was pretty sure I was on level 92 with Zidane when I beat Ozma, but whatever you say.
Also ,it's not a revised version of FFX's sphere grid. There's a level cap til you beat certain bosses. Characters aren't unbalanced, it's not as confusing or convoluted as FFX, with those annoying unlock spheres, and the track you had to choose. This one's fairly straight forward. You occasionally have a seperate path that takes you to a new powerful ability, but for the most part, it sticks to just one track.
Ya the sphere grid was for the most part the best leveling setup they have made yet, you basically follow a spiral path with a few dead ends here and their for higher abilities and then after awhile you can connect to the closest classes paths near you. My only complaint was instead of making up new moves/magic for each class they kinda got the same spell.

If you compare it to FF9 its like you have all the skills on you, you just have to trade semi rare items to learn them and its by far much better than the broken, lose and annoying license grid in FF12....

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Forgive me if somebody has said this, but don't you mean Final Fantasy XIV? I thought they already came out with XIII.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Samurai Goomba said:
Forgive me if somebody has said this, but don't you mean Final Fantasy XIV? I thought they already came out with XIII.
Mmm I thought it was an update to FF13 but it seems like this is for FF13 verses?

They made 2 FF13 games this time around you know......