Final Fantasy XIV Will Have Jobs, Won't Have Levels or Experience

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
I sense the japanese have been playing TES. If they are going to use that PlayOnline crap though, then I wont touch this game. I already lost half my Hard Drive's memory permenantly on 11 which I barely was able to play.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Oh, and fans of the series should be happy to hear that musical legend Nobuo Uematsu is doing all of the songs for the game. Yes, the entire soundtrack. So it'll have pretty music, at least.
Yeah, it'll be pretty until you've been grinding Kobolds for seven hours. Then you'll just turn off the music and listen to some Daft Punk.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
Preset character classes with preset character growth is getting old.

I don't know how the job system will work and I've never played Final Fantasy XI, but if it's possible to switch jobs, or combine them dynamically through some kind of character progression, I will be interested.

DRADIS C0ntact

Mar 26, 2009
So it will be kind of similar to Monster Hunter in that character growth is based on the weapons and armor you wear? That's awesome. I may try it out if I'm not already sucked in by The Old Republic by the time it's released.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
Honestly, the part about how your weapon affects your growth sounds more like FFIX's system, where you had to equip certain items and weapons to learn new abilities. I wouldn't mind that, as I liked IX a lot.

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
They could possibly do what Bandai did in Riviera: The Promised Land. In that game, when you use a weapon, you gain points for it, filling in a bar for that weapon. Once you've filled the bar (it can only be filled once), you unlock a new ability (basically a limit break) for that weapon. For every such ability, you gain a stat increase (exactly which stats improve is different for each item and character). It resulted in a LOT of "training battle" grind, which allowed you to reface enemies, with absolutely no risk, and level up your weapons in that way.

That's what first came to mind. I quite liked Riviera's progression system, although the implementation left something to be desired, and would like to see it done better in another game.

Ghost8585

Jul 21, 2009
Earthbound said:
I've always wanted to see an RPG like this without levels, and an MMO is even better, but how will they do it without experience? I've always thought that if a game was made that included an Oblivion-esque skill system, where skill is gained by training it, without any leveling would be awesome. But I guess we'll see in a few months...or years.
When the game was announced at Sony's E3 conference, they said it was to be around the same time as FF13. Since its a separate MMO I buy that. But I wouldn't be suprized of it was pushed back, considering it SE. I am intrigued by this news though. Maybe it will finally get me into MMOs

Disgustor

Jan 2, 2008
Oh noes! The video's down thanks to a copyright claim by 株式会社エンターブレイン! Damn you, 株式会社エンターブレイン! I should have known!

TotallyFake

Jun 14, 2009
Why not have a Junction system? You can cut down on grinding quite easily (as it'd be pretty fast to Draw a complete set of magic) and (by giving special monsters special magics) you can encourage people to travel vast distance to kill something, without relying on randomly dropped loot.

That and Raiding would be interesting. Rather than just throwing everything at a boss you need to juggle it and keep everyone alive and Drawing the precious magic.

Man I love FF8.

Mackinator

Apr 21, 2009
A sphere grid? Wow. That just gives me an idea of the kind of thing they will do. My idea is - For example, each item will have a sphere grid, which will be progressed through use. There will be a limit to the number of weapons and armour in-game and no little weapon drops from weak monsters. It looks exciting.

Monocle Man

Apr 14, 2009
If staves will allow you to learn mage-y abilities and swords make you physically stronger... How will I be able to be a Red Mage?
A Red Mage is someone wielding the basics from every spell-type along with a sword, I don't like staves... I do not want to end up switching from swords to staves every hundred battles to get a steady increase in both.

Though he did mention something about jobs as well.
Perhaps Black Mages will gain a big boost of MP and magic power with staves, but if he would equip a dagger the Black Mage would still gain MP and magic power, but less along with dexterity and melee bonuses.
Then the idea changes from not so good to pretty damn awesome.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
A Red Mage is someone wielding the basics from every spell-type along with a sword, I don't like staves... I do not want to end up switching from swords to staves every hundred battles to get a steady increase in both.
Do what FFT(A?) did with Red Mages and give them 'special' swords in the way of Rapiers with spells on those? That'd be my guess seeing as they've already followed such a path at least twice.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
Sounds interestng but also sound like it could have some flaws. I'm not a big fan of grinding or having strict limits placed on my gear by my class, but it is nice to see some alternative to leveling.
Something that just uses advancement points with out levels, just slowly gain points that can be spent directly for skills and upgrades. Kinda like WoD or DemonHunter rpgs (table top, not computer)

Fortesque

Jan 16, 2009
Admit it everyone.
We all say we hate the Grinding, but what is a good Final Fantasy without the Grind.

Grinding to Master Knights of the Round in FF7
Grinding to max out GFs in FF8
Grinding to get that last node you want on the Sphere Grid in FF10

Arrakiv

Dec 17, 2005
I'm all kinds of curious about how this will turn out.

To be perfectly honest, I really liked FFXI. I just didn't care for the whole waiting 2+ hours to get a group invite, although I enjoyed grouping up with other players plenty well. But I am interested in hearing how this system will end up working. When I hear things like "no levels" and "no experience" I get excited. I am curious to see what their take really will be.

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
Blah blah blah it's all just PR and pre-marketing. I don't care for these nebulous ideas that developers throw around in interviews. I'll wait for some beta user testimonies before I make up my mind on this game.

Lazzi

Apr 12, 2008
...I see something like what they had in FFX or FFXII.

You could essentially make all of your characters the same, with basic differences here and there. But the idea is very provacitive.

I would really enjoy a system like in FFXII, I would be able to train in any derection I want. And when I dont know what I want I could just save up LP and then spen it on what I decide apon.

GestaltEsper

Oct 11, 2009
Lazzi said:

You could essentially make all of your characters the same, with basic differences here and there. But the idea is very provacitive.

I would really enjoy a system like in FFXII, I would be able to train in any derection I want. And when I dont know what I want I could just save up LP and then spen it on what I decide apon.
Well they do like to call XII an "offline MMO." Who knows.

ImpostorZim

Jan 7, 2009
GestaltEsper said:
Lazzi said:

Well they do like to call XII an "offline MMO." Who knows.
But if there's no levels, that just leaves the items and weapons. Oh Wow, imagine the addiction of an MMORPG, blended with the sick sadistic item leveling from Disgaea...