Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I know there's a ps5 stuff topic but this was so hype it needs its own thread!

Wow FFXVI looks incredible. Also it seems to FINALLY be back to a completely medieval setting. And summons seem to have great emphasis in the story this time around. The little boy somehow due to the influence of the crystal became Phoenix and the story is about severing the crystal's protection to free him based on what the trailer shows.

The gameplay looks to be way closer to VIIR than XV which I am eternally grateful for, as well, XV played itself too much for my liking, also I appreciate all the classic enemies they showed, Malboros and Coeurls and a bunch of cool stuff. Also the summons were looking somehow more beastly and barbaric, especially Titan and Ifrit. The story seems to somehow emphasize the fire summons for some reason.

The game is giving me a feel like a mix of FFX and FFVI which is funny because if you add those numbers you get 16 lol.

(welp, will have to get a ps5 when this hits asap it seems, was planning on waiting longer...then again this may take like 3-5 years to make so who knows)

Reactions: gorfias

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
There's a lot of fanservice in there but not much about what it's actually about.

It does look really pretty though and the song near the end sounds cool. Hopefully there's a good game attached to it.

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
Yoshida is working on this, so I'm on board. He's already proven himself by taking the flaming heap of garbage that was the original FFXIV and turned it into the best MMO on the market. If the writing team of FFXIV is also there then I could even say I'm hyped. As for the game itself, I'm getting FFT vibes out of it, if a bit more high fantasy.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
The characters look so plastic. These anime art styles would look better cel-shaded or stylized, because they're almost the opposite of realistic. Photorealism makes them look shittier.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Yoshida is working on this, so I'm on board. He's already proven himself by taking the flaming heap of garbage that was the original FFXIV and turned it into the best MMO on the market. If the writing team of FFXIV is also there then I could even say I'm hyped. As for the game itself, I'm getting FFT vibes out of it, if a bit more high fantasy.
Yeah if someone can make early XIV into a fun game they can do anything at this point.

And yeah it has that FFT feel with the nobles, for sure.

The characters look so plastic. These anime art styles would look better cel-shaded or stylized, because they're almost the opposite of realistic. Photorealism makes them look shittier.
I would blame it looking a bit iffy on it just being super early on and on a new machine to boot. The game won't be out for like 2~ years minimum so I'm sure they'll get a ton better. Though I adore the designs on the creatures and summons, also the animations during the surprisingly numerous in this day and age gameplay scenes *remembers the recent assassin's creed "gameplay" trailer* were really smooth and flashy, especially versus that silver lance knight, that entire bit was gold.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
There's a lot of fanservice in there but not much about what it's actually about.

It does look really pretty though and the song near the end sounds cool. Hopefully there's a good game attached to it.
The trailer starts with the band of knights being on some assassination mission that they are forced to be on or they die. It sounds like there's something called "the crystal's protection" that is responsible for nations having the summon's powers, and there's a war, and that little boy apparently can turn into the phoenix (he may be a nephew or younger brother to the main character, didn't catch that bit) and he's used as a weapon so the hero is trying to break the crystal's protection to save the phoenix boy from his fate as a living weapon.

Also Ifrit legit massacred some fools. Not seen this much blood in a FF game since Agito. Apparently there's some special significance to the fire-element summons in the story, which is why they're in the logo.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Looks like Final Fantasy XV with a less interesting setting. Can't say I'm excited for it. Rather looking forward to the next part of the 7 Remake. Nomura's artistic sensibilities just speak to me more.

Reactions: CaitSeith

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The trailer starts with the band of knights being on some assassination mission that they are forced to be on or they die. It sounds like there's something called "the crystal's protection" that is responsible for nations having the summon's powers, and there's a war, and that little boy apparently can turn into the phoenix (he may be a nephew or younger brother to the main character, didn't catch that bit) and he's used as a weapon so the hero is trying to break the crystal's protection to save the phoenix boy from his fate as a living weapon.

Also Ifrit legit massacred some fools. Not seen this much blood in a FF game since Agito. Apparently there's some special significance to the fire-element summons in the story, which is why they're in the logo.
Maybe, Maybe not. I've learned that Trailers are so easily manipulated by mixing dialogue and visuals that it can be almost impossible to tell what's actually happening as opposed to what they want to make you think is happening. There's so many cuts in that trailer it's extremely difficult to tell if they're doing that or not. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/NeverTrustATrailer/VideoGames

Not to mention scenes/dialogue that show up int he trailers and then never show up in the game. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MissingTrailerScene

Let's not forget what happened in FFXV, where they cut out an entire chunk of the plot to force you to watch the film if you wanted any context on it and the whole "Want to know about this part of the story? Money for the DLC please!".

As you said above, the game won't be out for years, so I wouldn't expect the trailer to have that much in common with the actual game.

Crystals.

...what, did you expect a real answer?
SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Well I mean it's Final Fantasy, even the GAMES don't have much about what it's actually about half the time. The stories in the FF series are convoluted and spotty at best half the time.

OT: Looks interesting, the combat makes me cringe a bit, as for some reason I feel like it's trying to go the Souls route, which fuck that, and fuck Souls. Could be wrong, but the fact that you don't see a squad, and it's just one dude worries me a tad.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Well I mean it's Final Fantasy, even the GAMES don't have much about what it's actually about half the time. The stories in the FF series are convoluted and spotty at best half the time.

OT: Looks interesting, the combat makes me cringe a bit, as for some reason I feel like it's trying to go the Souls route, which fuck that, and fuck Souls. Could be wrong, but the fact that you don't see a squad, and it's just one dude worries me a tad.
I don't see the souls thing at all, it looks like FFVIIR to me, which had some solo bits with just Cloud early on.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I don't see the souls thing at all, it looks like FFVIIR to me, which had some solo bits with just Cloud early on.
Yeah but I mean, they show us what, 4-5 different combat scenarios, and not a single one has a team? I get that this is an early footage, so maybe they haven't worked out the group mechanics, though I think that would be fundamental for FF by this point. It just seems weird it's all just the one dude running solo.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Yeah but I mean, they show us what, 4-5 different combat scenarios, and not a single one has a team? I get that this is an early footage, so maybe they haven't worked out the group mechanics, though I think that would be fundamental for FF by this point. It just seems weird it's all just the one dude running solo.
I think that's prolly too early on in the development so they may not have created the other chars yet, that they showed any gameplay at all is notable when compared to other games that just show cinematics or just a dude standing still for 10 seconds.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
I like the High Fantasy Aesthetic, though I'm hoping they throw some more sci-fish magitek places in as well somewhere along the line.

I'm glad to see they are continuing to use the Action RPG gameplay at least as far as this trailer shows. It's a vast improvement over any of the combat systems Final Fantasy had before 15.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they'll do with party members. 15's party members were brilliantly done in large part because they only had the 3 plus Noctis so they could all be developed very deeply and were all useful in combat. Most RPGs tend to have 8 or more party members and thus there's always at least 1 or 2 that get left behind and hardly developed much. That, and because there's so many there's always a few that never get used in combat because they're very niche in their usefulness while the others are useful in nearly any situation.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I like the High Fantasy Aesthetic, though I'm hoping they throw some more sci-fish magitek places in as well somewhere along the line.

I'm glad to see they are continuing to use the Action RPG gameplay at least as far as this trailer shows. It's a vast improvement over any of the combat systems Final Fantasy had before 15.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they'll do with party members. 15's party members were brilliantly done in large part because they only had the 3 plus Noctis so they could all be developed very deeply and were all useful in combat. Most RPGs tend to have 8 or more party members and thus there's always at least 1 or 2 that get left behind and hardly developed much. That, and because there's so many there's always a few that never get used in combat because they're very niche in their usefulness while the others are useful in nearly any situation.
We must have played a different game because all the char development that happened in XV was mainly contained in the anime ovas they released before the game. In the game itself you're more told of the dude's friendship rather than shown it actually develop.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
We must have played a different game because all the char development that happened in XV was mainly contained in the anime ovas they released before the game. In the game itself you're more told of the dude's friendship rather than shown it actually develop.
Ehhh there's like one scene where Noctis talk about his friendship with Prompto. Oh and everyone get mad at everybody late game, that's kind of a development, right?

imo FF15 had terrible character development (I still can't believe the main love interest is in the game maybe a grand total of 2 min and
we're supposed to feel sad when she die
), but I liked the group dynamic in the first 1/3 of the game. The whole camping/road trip really work. Shame about the story and gameplay...

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Ehhh there's like one scene where Noctis talk about his friendship with Prompto. Oh and everyone get mad at everybody late game, that's kind of a development, right?

imo FF15 had terrible character development (I still can't believe the main love interest is in the game maybe a grand total of 2 min and
we're supposed to feel sad when she die
), but I liked the group dynamic in the first 1/3 of the game. The whole camping/road trip really work. Shame about the story and gameplay...
That bit at the latter half of the game was interesting but they didn't really develop up to anything, things just kinda happen and you are supposed to imagine that these people somewhere off-screen ended up being really close so now these scenes matter.

Basically, I just wanted to see more char development like in the ovas, and the game kinda skips it and you're supposed to just imagine it taking place as you do your journey.

And yeah the love interest is so forgettable she's less important than Sera was in 13 and she was frozen solid for the entire game but at least they developed her in the prequel novels. Even the anime ovas for XV didn't develop her half as much lol. In the Prompto ova you see him having some sort of crush on her and I definitely expected at least that to go somewhere but you're just supposed to accept that it didn't and that he just gave up to Noctis cause they're pals and that's that. You coulda had that be a point of friction or something but nope, it's just skipped over.

Also, Noctis has WAY more chemistry with Iris (Gladius' little sister) than Luna, I purposefully picked a picture with just her during that end bit where you can select a memorable picture and Gladius was like "I won't ask what this is about..." lol. It's...almost real? I mean, if we have to imagine stuff, I'll imagine things that make sense, screw you Luna!

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
You're kidding right? In everything from the random running around to the sidequests to the main story establishes and develops the friendship between the 4 main party members. It's made clear from the word jump that they are all very very close to each other, not out of obligation as Noctis' subordinates but because they genuinely care about each other. In fact, the relationship between all of them is developed more organically and realistically than nearly any relationship I've ever seen in fiction. Cracking jokes back and forth, showing off quirks, complaining about the annoying little behaviors each of them have here and there, concerns about their well being when they're heavily wounded or knocked out... and that's just the random running around. The game is really about their relationship with each other as much as it is saving the world, if not more.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
You're kidding right? In everything from the random running around to the sidequests to the main story establishes and develops the friendship between the 4 main party members. It's made clear from the word jump that they are all very very close to each other, not out of obligation as Noctis' subordinates but because they genuinely care about each other. In fact, the relationship between all of them is developed more organically and realistically than nearly any relationship I've ever seen in fiction. Cracking jokes back and forth, showing off quirks, complaining about the annoying little behaviors each of them have here and there, concerns about their well being when they're heavily wounded or knocked out... and that's just the random running around. The game is really about their relationship with each other as much as it is saving the world, if not more.
It establishes that they already are friends, sure, it doesn't develop the characters or show their friendship be formed and advance.

It's like you start p5 and you're already at bond 10 with all the confidants from day 1, they're friendly towards you but you don't get to see why exactly and that part is what's actually interesting. Otherwise it's just a riajuu simulator lol.

And notice, I genuinely liked what they had going, I just see it as a massive pile of untapped potential.