Final Fantasy XVI -Awakening- !!!!

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
So I had to look it up cause its been forever, but the massage scene is 100% mandatory, you cannot finish the game without making Lablanc orgasm (For those who never played, Leblanc is someone who wear a dress that's so revealing if she forgot to shave her pub for a few day you'd be able to see it, that should tell you a lot about FFX-2 art direction). The hot scene one is actually optional, but to get it all you have to do is sneak up behind a group of enemy instead of attacking them heads on during a mandatory segment, it's actually really easy to get and anyone who has a habit of fully exploring dungeon before finishing them will get that scene. Fun fact, the area where it happen is a sacred mountain of the Ronso people, during FF10 when you pass trough the mountain Seymour (the bad guy) tries to stop you there, the Ronso tries to stop him so he massacre them all, see how much respect Yuna has for them.

The game is also pretty short by FF standard there's a lot of side quest but the main game is not very long, for example, a video of all the scene in FF10 is over 11 hours:

but the equivalent for 10-2 is a little below 4, including both video that I linked above (massage and hot spring).

But really the entire game is very much built on the idea that the main characters are young girl and that young girl showing skin sells. No, it's not outright a sex game, but one of it's core pillar is very much fan service.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
FF XV still sits on my pile of shame. I best get on it.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So I had to look it up cause its been forever, but the massage scene is 100% mandatory, you cannot finish the game without making Lablanc orgasm (For those who never played, Leblanc is someone who wear a dress that's so revealing if she forgot to shave her pub for a few day you'd be able to see it, that should tell you a lot about FFX-2 art direction). The hot scene one is actually optional, but to get it all you have to do is sneak up behind a group of enemy instead of attacking them heads on during a mandatory segment, it's actually really easy to get and anyone who has a habit of fully exploring dungeon before finishing them will get that scene. Fun fact, the area where it happen is a sacred mountain of the Ronso people, during FF10 when you pass trough the mountain Seymour (the bad guy) tries to stop you there, the Ronso tries to stop him so he massacre them all, see how much respect Yuna has for them.

The game is also pretty short by FF standard there's a lot of side quest but the main game is not very long, for example, a video of all the scene in FF10 is over 11 hours:

but the equivalent for 10-2 is a little below 4, including both video that I linked above (massage and hot spring).

But really the entire game is very much built on the idea that the main characters are young girl and that young girl showing skin sells. No, it's not outright a sex game, but one of it's core pillar is very much fan service.

yep, TOTALLY not fanservice or sexualizing a minor when they first introduce Rikku in FF 10. Nope, not one bit.

Reactions: BrawlMan

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
15 was a good game in my opinion. I'm not like a huge FF franchise fan, some of the games I enjoy, I think 7 is overrated though i did play it a shit load back in the day. I enjoy 10 a lot for a handful of the cutscenes, and my husbando Khimari. 12 was decent but i lost interest. Never did 13or 14. 15 was fun though. Enjoyable boy band road trip with crazy JRPG fighting mixed in.

Reactions: gorfias

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I personally didn't enjoy the last half of the game, the gameplay and the story, but I think the first part is very much worth playing. Going on a roadtrip with your friend (before everyone goes full emo) is really fun and the comping/cooking mechanic with a photo montage of everything that you did during the day is really cool. I don't understand how nintendo played this and didn't immediately scream "OPEN WORLD POKEMON SNAP 2!".

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You do realize Asura's Wrath has an onsen scene too? And you're a guy there not two girls, and you're about to drunkenly grope a girl you've been ogling until the other guy in the onsen withh you punches you into orbit? Now is it fair to call Asura's Wrath a "fanservice game" because of that? Because that onsen seen is a greater % of the game's runtime and you WILL run into it every playthrough, whereas the one in X-2 you have to unlock by doing esoteric things you wouldn't naturally know to do without a guide, and is a much smaller percentage of your playtime with the game.
First, thank you for proving my point. Second, the onsesn scene in AW is legit funny and hilarious. Fan-service or not.

A game having fanservice is not the same as a game being a fanservice game.
Wow...delirious and missing the fucking point. Only you can accomplish such an amazing feat. Because you have gone beyond delusional years ago.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
A game having fanservice is not the same as a game being a fanservice game.
Well for one, since I'm the one that proposed the idea that the M rating might be for more explicit fanservice, I would like to point out that I never said the game was "a fanservice game" But the FF franchise DOES have very blatant fan service in a LOT of the titles. From the implied dude rape/orgy of Cloud in FF 7, to the underage sexualization of Rikku, to the further sexualization of Rikku in 10-2 (which yeah, sure, she's not a minor now, that doesn't mean they don't fan service her.) Her default outfit is boyshorts and a string bikini top, and they introduce her with a slow body pan from her bare legs, up her breast, to a sensual close up on her lips as she reports them being in position. THAT is fan service, and all the plunging neckline outfits and dissolving clothing hinting at naked skin IS fan service.

And the fact that other games are more blatant with their fan service, again, doesn't magically make more tame stuff not be fan service.

Now, to be clear, I don't actually care about fan service. I like me some sexy nekked ladies as much as the next person who also likes nekked ladies. If the games got jiggly tits and vampirellas around every corner, fine. I don't really care, it's not like I expect much else from a japanese game these days. What I was curious about, was whether or not THAT was the reason that the M rating was applied for THIS game. If they were angling for the "This time, with BOOBIES!!" tactic, or if it's just blood/gore, or a mixture of both. Maybe they were like "Hey, Witcher 3 sold a lot, and we liked that game, and it had BOOBIES!! So let's have BOOBIES! in our FF game." I don't fucking know. It's not like gaming companies don't ape each other when a successful trend is established. And hell, it's not like it's even a new thing to realize that Tits Sell. That's about as earth shattering of a revelation as water is wet.

Reactions: BrawlMan

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
15 was a good game in my opinion. I'm not like a huge FF franchise fan, some of the games I enjoy, I think 7 is overrated though i did play it a shit load back in the day. I enjoy 10 a lot for a handful of the cutscenes, and my husbando Khimari. 12 was decent but i lost interest. Never did 13or 14. 15 was fun though. Enjoyable boy band road trip with crazy JRPG fighting mixed in.
I'm old. I played FF One on the NES. I didn't get to play again till FFX which is among my top 5 games of Gen 6. XII felt like I wasn't getting anywhere in it and quit pretty early. I put some hours into XIII and hear it gets great after 25 hours. Most games don't last 25 hours!!! But... see below

I personally didn't enjoy the last half of the game, the gameplay and the story, but I think the first part is very much worth playing. Going on a roadtrip with your friend (before everyone goes full emo) is really fun and the comping/cooking mechanic with a photo montage of everything that you did during the day is really cool. I don't understand how nintendo played this and didn't immediately scream "OPEN WORLD POKEMON SNAP 2!".
My ADHD: I didn't get to the point that I was bored with 15... just distracted.
And one of my all time favorite gaming experiences was helping my 7 year old boy beat Pokemon Snap on the N64. Maybe 2 will come out in time for me to have grand kids and help them through it!