Finnish Hearthstone Tournament Changes Policy on Women - Update

SlugLady28

Feb 24, 2011
Good thing they changed it, considering I literally just joined Hearthsone an hour a go & played the first battle of the tutorial.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
Now I sorta understand the concept in actual sports but we really don't need separation of sexes in gaming seeing how I'm pretty sure we can all hold a controller.

Gamer87

Nov 22, 2013
Necromancer1991 said:
Gamer87 said:
Yes, this makes sense. Just as women are physically inferior to men, the fact that so much of their brain power is taken up with planning dinner, thinking about fashion and worrying about the kids puts them at a disdvantage against men in these kinds of competitions.

But in all honesty I think doing both a free-access and a female specific tournament seems like the most reasonable way to handle things given that they already booked the space and what not.
Not serious.

I see no reason why people should be differently treated in any kind of situation based upon gender, or anything else for that matter, when that clearly has no impact on their ability to do something. Even "positive" discrimination is discrimination.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
I'm actually not sure which is worse, male-only and female-only or what they've now decided upon.

I mean at the very least with the segregation, even if incredibly sexist, the idea that the female victor is equal to the male victor still exists.

With this it's glaringly obvious that the female-only victor isn't at all the equal to the 'real' victor. After all, if she were equal she'd have joined the 'real' competition and achieved something there. This'll just solidify the female competition as the lesser competition.

Which, honestly, I don't think it's what we need.

I'd say that, in regards to promoting female participation, it's better to have a smaller number of women competing on equal ground than more of them competing in special competitions.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Uh... why don't they just make one fucking tournament open to everybody? No need to make any special inclusions, just make it fair and equal. Why is that so hard?

lSHaDoW-FoXl

Jul 17, 2008
Marginalizing women I'm sure will be a great step in garnering the reputation and respect for E-sports as a true sport, but unfortunately I'm concerned that we've still got a long, long way to go. Until we start having exciting riots and E-athletes being paid millions of dollars we'll simply never be a true sport.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
Smilomaniac said:
I usually scoff at feminist agendas, gender wars and what always turns out to be grand exaggerations of social injustice. This time though, I have to admit that it's nothing but absurd and that there's some old fart out there, stuck in the ancient past.

That being said, the insistance that there will still be female only tournaments is just as stupid (of course hardly anyone bats an eye at it). If female gamers want their own tournament, then they should go do it themselves, on their own time, with their own money, and it should certainly not be done out of pity or "because tits".

Either it's FFA, gendersplit or it has three leagues.
They booked space for two tournament (The male-only and female-only ones) and decided to remove the gender requirement on one and keep the other one gender-specific, that seems like a perfectly reasonable compromise given the circumstances. Would you rather they just cancel the other tournament and throw all the money they've already spent on the space and advertising and render the money spent on transportation and lodging by people who wanted to compete and/or spectate utterly pointless?

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
ultreos2 said:
A lot of people in this thread seem to underestimate the physical, mental, and emotional toll of most e-sport competitions, and then equate men and women as though they have the same capacity for all three categories of physical, mental, and emotional tolls.

Of course e-sports and professional gaming couldn't possibly be physically taxing right?

You've clearly never sat down 10 hours straight playing against opponents who don't physically waver as quickly as you do.

Whether this particular group did the right thing or not wanting to separate leagues I can't say for sure. But since I do know that men and women are physically different and I do know there is a physical toll on the body for gaming ten hours straight. I'm willing to bet men might have a bit more unfair an advantage overall then you might realize.

Not that I've seen to many female players in the various card game tournaments I've been to still look good to game their best at the 6 hour mark let alone 10.
You'd have to present some pretty substantial evidence to show that there is enough sexual dimorphism between men and women's brains that fundamentally puts them in different categories of capability in these games.

It's not about physical or mental endurance, it's about the maximum capability. In a lot of physical sports, women just cannot compete with men due to men having much more physically capable builds. Men just have more natural physical capability than women. Those sports are split and for good reason. There's nothing to suggest that the physical necessities of competitive gaming are harder/worse for men or women. There's just no good reason to disallow women to compete with men.

melkior

Jul 2, 2014
Its a good thing they managed to solve the issue, but this doesn't really change the fact that half of the world now thinks that Finland is a sexist place when it comes to gaming. the original story which was copy pasted around the net was poorly captioned in over half of the news outlets.

The Finnish e-Sports federation actually lobbied against the rule with the Assembly crew and other national eSF organizations
before the news went viral. Its kinda bitter sweet thing. Problem got fixed but the fixers are depicted as the sexists
all over the net.

Funny thing this internet journalism.
Prime case of how goddamn important the context actually is.

These qualifiers are played all over the damn globe not just here.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
This have just killed a little bit of the total human intelligence, and people were wondering why aliens don't make contact. If I was an alien, I wouldn't wanna mingle with humans either.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Hearthstone is a card game. They shouldn't look at the Olympics to base their rules on. They should look at professional poker or something. Card games just require strategy. Does it being on a comphter itself somehow make women suck at it? Doesn't make sense.

As a competitive player I find that women simply are generally less competitive. Especially in 1v1 situations where there's no support or help role to be filled. Sure, there's always exceptions but the general truth is why the esport scene in those 1v1 games such as street fighter or hearthstone is dominated by men. There's nothing wrong with equal opportunity and if a tourney banned women that would be terrible but what we have here is an expected equality of results that ignores reality and since the dogma is that genders are equal (which to them means "identical ") there must be something wrong with the group or the rules.

Nah, it's just tht more guys are likely to want to be competitive gamers, nothing to do with women. Guys just like it so much that they show up more. That's it.

Also, there's the obvious negative that a women only tourney makes anyone who enters it admit to being unable to cut it in the main one and in need of a handicap. I don't know anyone who respects themselves that would be fine with that.

melkior

Jul 2, 2014
jpz719 said:
Good job Finland.
THIS STILL does not have anything to do with Finland other than the qualifier is played here.
you can as well say good job Canada,France,Sweden and the list goes on.
this is why I'm pissed off. somebody screwed up the context early on.
And because the internet news sources don't bother to check their sources and get the context right,
one of the most gender neutral countries in the goddamn world is depicted as sexist,
when the truth is the exact opposite.

the IeSF is responsible for the rules and making the changes.

This still has nothing to do with Finland other than we were the first to actually do something about this.