Fire Emblem: Awakening Review

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
This game does have a quick restart that is not "Return to Home menu, close program". Instead you can hit L+R+Start, and the game will quickly restart.

...It is a very handy shortcut, especially when your favourite character gets flattened by an untimely enemy critical hit...

Also, the reviewer seemed to forget the last North American installment of Fire Emblem was Shadow Dragon on the DS, though frankly I would forget about that game too. We unfortunately missed out on the much-improved sequel remake, which was Nintendo's first trial of Casual mode and Avatar creation, but Awakening definitely polished everything up.

Also a feature that's starting to come into play is the SpotPass content. You can summon teams of legacy characters to buy items from, battle, or recruit the team leader. You can do the same thing with StreetPass teams, but you'll hire their Avatar instead. Technically this means you always have a source of new characters if any of your main team kicks the bucket, though these are personality-less bonus characters with no support conversations.

Other handy shortcuts:

-You can turn off the slide guides by pressing A on an empty tile and going into options. By turning the tutorials off, you have access to all the game's features such as Trade and Pair Up without having to read the tutorial guide for it in a later chapter. Tutorials are disabled by default on Hard mode or higher but it's handy to know if you start on Normal mode.
-Holding A allows you to fast forward movement animations and the battle scene.
-Pressing Start allows you to skip battle cutscenes.

My verdict on this game? One of the very best Fire Emblem games ever made with real stellar production value to boot, and one of the must-own titles on the 3DS.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
PowCoJG said:
Oh no! Nonononono... I don't need a Nintendo 3DS sized bill to pay right now! Thank you for the review, but oh my goodness! My insides are twisting with indecision!
There's actually a 3DS/Fire Emblem: Awakening bundle.
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/14/fire-emblem-awakening-3ds-bundle-retails-for-200/

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Slycne said:
NoPants2win said:
"My friend" has never played a Fire Emblem game and would like to get into the series. Which game should "my friend" start with?
Lots of great advice given already, but just in case, and to be clear, Fire Emblem isn't a contiguous series, baring a few recurring elements. So if you're interested in Awakening you don't need to have played a previous one, if that was your intent.
From what I saw in the Demo, there's some sort of time-travel shenanigans tying it into FE 1 though.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I'm enjoying the game so far but... why does everyone have hooves instead of feet? It's like they've all sunken into the ground ever so slightly...

I'mANinja

Aug 4, 2008
Never played a Fire Emblem game before, yet felt compelled to get the 3DS Fire Emblem bundle since I was still looking to get a 3DS. So happy I did, I can just sit in one place playing for hours, surrounded by a 360 and PC and not be compelled to use either. I love seeing the relationships develop between characters, it's a great little extra to the game. I like playing on an easier difficulty so I can put characters together in battle based on who I want to see have support conversations and not worry as much about terrible deaths. The lower difficulty seemed good for a time, but a few of my characters started seeming really overpowered. I decided to experiment in one battle, and only deployed two characters.... completely destroyed the enemy /endrant

I'mANinja

Aug 4, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
I'm enjoying the game so far but... why does everyone have hooves instead of feet? It's like they've all sunken into the ground ever so slightly...
I've noticed that, in interesting story moments I don't pay attention to it, but often I just stare at their feet for entire conversations in a state of confusion.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
I hadn't played a fire emblem game before I heard about this one. Now I've been playing Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword, just to see what they were like and I really enjoyed that one. I can't afford a 3DS, but there seems to be a lot of good games coming for it. T_T

bigredlyms

May 25, 2010
TheKasp said:
bigredlyms said:
TheKasp said:
Well... Only two months until it releases... here... *sigh* God this sucks.
cant you just download it? Thats what i did.
If by 'download' you mean the Nintendo eStore: No. If it releases there to buy it won't be before the actual release.

If you mean pirate it then I stand by my principle that I don't pirate. At all. And if you really mean that: Read up the forum rules.
No i definitely meant the e-store on the 3ds. why on earth would i ever sabotage the FE series' business!?! they are my all time favorite games.
That sucks that the e-store is regional too though. are you at least able to get the demo?