Firefly and Serenity

KungFuMaster

Aug 14, 2008
nekolux said:
KungFuMaster said:
nekolux said:
Show them episode 13, imo that has the cutest summer glau scene.... =D
Mmm...Summer Glau...sexiest Terminator ever...

More of a fan of <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewel_Staite>Jewel Staite, though...I think it was the whole "Wholesome homemaker" vibe she had going on...the fact that she could work on an engine was also infinitely sexy to me.

I almost cried when I saw her in that episode of Dead Like Me, I was grief stricken at what had happened to my Kaylee.

I suppose if she had fucked someone other than Mason it would have been easier to handle, but still...
Damn right =P But yeah kaylee. She also did someone else in out of air didnt she. It was how mal hired her.
OHOH newsflash. Summer glau is going on the big bang theory as a cameo, acting as herself.
( The guys all realized she was around and they start having a mass debate when they realized someone has to talk to her )
David/Trouty + River = The Funny. When is that episode airing?

nekolux

Apr 7, 2008
KungFuMaster said:
March 9th. It's going to be so awesome i can already see it. Awkward geeks trying to ask summer glau out XD

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I loved Firefly, that series and the movie Serenity were just amazing, easily one of the best scifi shows I've seen with great writing and characters. I've probably watched the show 4 times through, I think I might take another watch at it this month. I despise Fox for canceling it.

KungFuMaster

Aug 14, 2008
nekolux said:
KungFuMaster said:
March 9th. It's going to be so awesome i can already see it. Awkward geeks trying to ask summer glau out XD
Fan-fucking-tastic. I am setting my DVR now.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
BasicMojo said:
Right, like the "hole" you pointed out when you cited Sir Christopher Lee (who incidentally got killed off after about six seconds of screen time) despite the point that I said "You can lather/rinse/repeat with any actors from either movie." And the fact that I was praising the dialogue in Serenity rather than complaining how it stagnated the film, like Episode III. And hey, I can quote literary journals and film critics right back at you about Serenity. And all of this is overlooking the fact that these are opinions, not theories, like this is some sort of science experiment.
actually the fact that Lucas' films have been praised by many a film school and literary person is NOT an opinion, it's a fact. nice you can claim that about Serenity but it's just not true, please if you have some journals you wish to quote provide them

as for Sir Christopher Lee's role, still in his 6 seconds, as you phrase it, he has more presence than most ppl do in a whole 90 mins

pigmonkey

Dec 24, 2008
FalloutJack said:
I love it for the lines and the nuances and the breaking of some of the sci-fi molds. But mostly the lines.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Wash: "This landing is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define 'interesting'."
Wash: [deadpan] "Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?"

Mal: "This is the Captain. We may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."
Jayne: "We're gonna explode? I don't wanna explode!"

Mal: "Doctor, I'm takin' your sister under my protection here. If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up. Honestly, there could be tears."

Mal: "What in the hell happened back there?"
Wash: "Start with the part where Jayne gets knocked out by a 90-pound girl 'cause... I don't think that's ever getting old."
the best part is that those were just from the first 15 minutes of the film.

also slightly of topic but can anyone explain to me what the deal was with Book and the alliance? was it ever explained? i just finished the series 2 days ago and its been bugging me ever since.

Starnerf

The X makes it sound cool
Jun 26, 2008
According to Rotten Tomatoes, the top critics gave Revenge of the Sith a 68% overall, and Serenity an 88%.

Serenity [http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/serenity/?critic=creamcrop]
Episode III [http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_3/?critic=creamcrop]

The "Tomatometer" doesn't always work right so you may need to refresh the page a few times for the score to show up.

pigmonkey said:

also slightly of topic but can anyone explain to me what the deal was with Book and the alliance? was it ever explained? i just finished the series 2 days ago and its been bugging me ever since.
It isn't ever explained, but Joss was planning on fleshing out that story in comic book form sometime in the future.

nekolux

Apr 7, 2008
Starnerf said:
According to Rotten Tomatoes, the top critics gave Revenge of the Sith a 68% overall, and Serenity an 88%.

Serenity [http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/serenity/?critic=creamcrop]
Episode III [http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_3/?critic=creamcrop]

The "Tomatometer" doesn't always woprk right so you may need to refresh the page a few times for the score to show up.

pigmonkey said:

It isn't ever explained, but Joss was planning on fleshing out that story in comic book form sometime in the future.
Yes there's a comic planned to be released at the end of 2008 afaik there isn't much news right now. Joss whedon usually keeps in touch with his fans so if it's canceled he would have said so, he's probably busy with dollhouse right now so it's probably just slightly delayed

Lebeau's Bounty

Dec 30, 2008
Firefly and Serenity are great. For anyone thinking about getting into it - pick up the DVD box set of Firefly, watch 'em all, fall in love with the characters AND THEN pick up Serenity.

The movie stands up great on its own, but when you go for that ride after having known the characters... its awesome.

And if you like Joss, and are a comic or X-Men fan, his run on Astonishing X-Men was some of the best X-Men I've ever read. There are two volumes in hardcover of his entire run. The characters are have so many great moments, and I'm not joking that when I read it month to month, which each issue, in almost every one at some point I was astonished.

Chaz D

Feb 1, 2009
Lebeau said:
Firefly and Serenity are great. For anyone thinking about getting into it - pick up the DVD box set of Firefly, watch 'em all, fall in love with the characters AND THEN pick up Serenity.

The movie stands up great on its own, but when you go for that ride after having known the characters... its awesome.

And if you like Joss, and are a comic or X-Men fan, his run on Astonishing X-Men was some of the best X-Men I've ever read. There are two volumes in hardcover of his entire run. The characters are have so many great moments, and I'm not joking that when I read it month to month, which each issue, in almost every one at some point I was astonished.
Ditto on all points.

Cannot reommend any of those things enough.

Also, I suggest watching Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-Long Blog, Whedon's attempt at making cheap, high-quality entertainment during the writer's strike. It's funny, daft and even quite genuinely moving.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
TomNook said:
Watch Outlaw Star, its the same thing more well executed.
Speaking as an Outlaw Star fan, I can't really say the two go hand-in-hand or bear THAT MUCH as a resemblence to each other. Outlaw Star is anime, with at least three characters on the good side who have weird special abilities...and most of the main bad guys have those too. Firefly and Serenity? No magic, no ancient legends, no mechs or robots or grappler ships (unless you count that Reaver vessel). You have ship, it obeys physics, and it is written in Whedon's style. Definitely not like Outlaw Star. Plus, the anime doesn't have ALAN TUDYK. It's not the same!

KungFuMaster

Aug 14, 2008
Sarcastic Chimp said:
During my (short) time on Escapist, I've noticed that alot of people really like Firefly and Serenity. From what people say, it sounds vey good. But (if you do) what do you like about it? And do you think that I should buy the series for £12.00 ($17.20)?
It took me two days, but I finally found <a href=http://www.leasticoulddo.com/comic/20050915> it.

SquirrelPants

Dec 22, 2008
I've just watched the first episode of Firefly...It's just...wow. According to internet friends, the episodes get BETTER than the pilot. I mean, holy damn, why would anyone ever consider canceling this show? I mean, this may just be post-episode aftermath(I did that when I first watched FLCL, and I realized later that it wasn't as great as I originally thought) but dear god this show is awesome...

SquirrelPants

Dec 22, 2008
oktalist said:
Crazzee said:
why would anyone ever consider canceling this show?
Well, it's Fox ;)
Oh yeah, I forgot...XD
It's their philosophy to get rid of all the good shows and replace it with Family Guy!...Except the Simpsons. Simpsons still remains...>.>

Trace2010

Aug 10, 2008
My brother showed me that series when he came back from college: it's a great investment.

TheBXRabbit

Feb 15, 2009
I'm probably going to be attacked for this, so I'll just say it and get away asap.

I've never seen an entire episode of Firefly, only occasional bits. I have seen Serenity, and I thought it was pretty sweet.

And now I run for the fallout shelter.

EDIT: it appears a lot of the firefly episodes are up on Hulu. Why buy when you can watch for free online? Also, now that I don't have an excuse, I'm going to start watching them.