Firmware Update May Break Your Old Xbox 360 [UPDATE]

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
When is the firmware update? I'm also on the "hoping for a bigger hard drive, quieter DVD drive and HDMI port" front.

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
Another sensationalist article title. Well done Escapist.

KeyMaster45 said:
And I was just about to plug my 360 back into the internet after god knows how long of playing offline (Dorm network doesn't allow for game consoles to connect to the net) so I could update it and pick up some long wanted DLC.

Think I'll just wait another year now so whatever is bricking them gets fixed.
Did you even read the article? A minuscule number of consoles will become unable to read certain games due to an upgrade in disk format.

Microsoft will replace affected consoles with a free Xbox 360 S 250gb.

proctorninja2

a single man with a sword
Jun 5, 2010
I swear to god if when i update this and my xbox dies im going to chuck it out the window, last time i got out for summer my old one died the day i got back and i almost broke down.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I guess I need to update offline, then hook to live, then see if I can score one that way. I already get the error.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Great, a double post, and I don't need to edit this one, because it's already done.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
So... I won't be able to tell the difference then, eh? Stupid X-box *grumble, grumble*

I wonder... What will happen to the people who do not have X-Box live and get the update off of a game disc? Will they be left in the cold or what?

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Hm. Haven't seen a firmware update in a while. When was this?

Also, I'll join the legion of people hoping their 360 bricks now. It would also stop me using it until exams end!

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Microsoft giving away new 360s, thats the best thing ive heard all day.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Hm. Just fired up my console, but there's no update prompt. So, I ask, what update are you talking about...? :\

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
damn, still works....but I don't remember downloading any firmware update? Yet I'm still on XBL? I'm confused. Also upset, because I would love to upgrade to a 250GB HDD.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Jonabob87 said:
Another sensationalist article title. Well done Escapist.

KeyMaster45 said:
And I was just about to plug my 360 back into the internet after god knows how long of playing offline (Dorm network doesn't allow for game consoles to connect to the net) so I could update it and pick up some long wanted DLC.

Think I'll just wait another year now so whatever is bricking them gets fixed.
Did you even read the article? A minuscule number of consoles will become unable to read certain games due to an upgrade in disk format.

Microsoft will replace affected consoles with a free Xbox 360 S 250gb.
Yes actually I did, and even if it's a small number of consoles I'd rather not take the risk of my system being bricked; even if they're going to replace it with a slim. I've got no desire to lose all my game data and what not because they couldn't be arsed to simply fix the issue and release an update that remedies it.

The assumption that I didn't read the article is a bit on the knee jerk side don't you think? Just because my view on the matter differs from the rest doesn't mean I didn't read it. I just don't like the prospect of my system getting bricked and prefer to ensure the safety of the console I originally bought. I have an older Xbox 360 and thus fall into the population of users at risk. If I choose to not suddenly get all excited I might win the "Brick Your System" lottery and instead opt to go the sane route of taking steps to make sure my system doesn't get bricked then that's my decision.

You want to call out The Escapist for sensationalist article headings yet you're just as quick to jump to conclusions the minute you see someone with a comment that's not to your liking.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
Kind of a clumsy way for Microsoft to faze out the old consoles though, don't you think? Good thing they couldn't remotely-destroy my original Xbox.
*facedesk*

They aren't trying to phase out anything. Do you really think they would be going about giving affected 360 owners new consoles and a year of Xbox Live Gold if they could make everyone's console work via firmware updates? Come on man, think before you speak. No company's plans include purposely releasing an update that doesn't work on some consoles so they can lose money replacing said consoles. They're doing this because they absolutely cannot make certain older 360s work properly after the update, not because they just don't feel like it. And plenty of older 360s ARE working after the update (I've been in the preview program for the new update, and all my old discs work fine in my old 360), so it's not even remotely close to being some kind of phase out either.

KeyMaster45 said:
Yes actually I did, and even if it's a small number of consoles I'd rather not take the risk of my system being bricked; even if they're going to replace it with a slim. I've got no desire to lose all my game data and what not because they couldn't be arsed to simply fix the issue and release an update that remedies it.

The assumption that I didn't read the article is a bit on the knee jerk side don't you think? Just because my view on the matter differs from the rest doesn't mean I didn't read it. I just don't like the prospect of my system getting bricked and prefer to ensure the safety of the console I originally bought.
Well, the fact that you think your system will get bricked supports the "you didn't read the article" theory. Bricked means that the console is completely broken and can't do anything. Affected consoles will not be bricked; they can still do everything except play retail games.

That everything you can still do includes allowing you to put your saves on a USB drive for transfer to that new 360 they'll be sending you. Or you could just use the Data Transfer Cable [http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Data-Transfer-Cable/dp/B003S9WJ9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305743079&sr=8-1] to get all your saves and other content onto the new system. So even if you are affected by the problem, you won't be losing anything.

You can still refuse the update if you want. But just know that everything you're basing that decision on is hogwash.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
The sad thing is when people flame how xboxs brick I mean sure they spaz out and die, but the support process is so fast its almost mind blowing.

Ive sent mine back 2 times one rrod and one E74 and I mean its was pretty much call on a sunday get a box on monday sent out on monday new xbox by Wednesday. Free month of gold and a free faceplate.

I mean it is painless.

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
Is this the version with WiFi? Too bad I have a 120GB Elite, so I'm pretty sure it won't be bricked.

This is quite entertaining, so now two major game console companies have screwed up big time. And two reward packages. Still happy as ever to be a primarily PC gamer.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Wait so what about people who don't have internet but have an older 360 will new games have the update on them or will they simply not run on said systems without warning on the cases of the games?

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Shit I wish mine would break so Microsoft could pay me back a little. I'm on my fifth xbox, and now when I want it to break, odds are it'll be fine because it's one of the newer old models.

Apr 28, 2008
I haven't gotten any messages of a firmware update. Just signed into live just fine, and didn't need to update anything. Is this firmware update automatic or something?