Firmware Update May Break Your Old Xbox 360 [UPDATE]

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
When does the Firmware update come up? It hasn't come up for me, which is starting to scare me because LA Noire is on its way here...

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I have yet to see an update of any kind for my Xbox 360. So, is this just a forewarning?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ive never been so annoyed that my 360 is working fine

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Martster said:
Nicely done Microsoft

For most its just an update, for the few it affects its a new 360. Sweet
This is exactly what i'm thinking. I hope to god mine bricks. I barely use it anyway and its prime time to upgrade for FREE

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Anyone able to tell when this update is out?

I haven't been asked for any kind of update in a few months.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
My 360 has been pretty reliable since I got it about 3 years ago...

Still, 200GB of space is significantly better than the 3GB I currently have left...

Well guess I should get the update, see what happens.

Though, I won't hold my breath, like I said my 360 has been nothing but reliable...

Although, from how the article is worded, it sounds like the update has already gone live, taken down and revised... So maybe we're not going to be part of those lucky few...

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Dammit, this makes me nervous. There's so little damn info! When did/will the patch happen? How old do they mean? How long will it take to get a replacement, will saves be transferable, so many questions, so few answers!

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I just started my 360 and there was no update. What gives, I was hoping for it to break down!!

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Irridium said:
I haven't gotten any messages of a firmware update. Just signed into live just fine, and didn't need to update anything. Is this firmware update automatic or something?
This update is only available to people who have signed up to the beta programme to test the new disc format, it hasn't been released to the public yet.

Doclector said:
Dammit, this makes me nervous. There's so little damn info! When did/will the patch happen? How old do they mean? How long will it take to get a replacement, will saves be transferable, so many questions, so few answers!
If you have the type of console that would be affected by the update (when it's released to the public), then Microsoft will contact you to offer you a replacement.

They know exactly which models will be affected and can identify those consoles over X-Box Live, so there's no reason to be nervous.
By the time the update is released to the public all of the problematic consoles should have been replaced (with the exception of those people who don't connect their console to Live because they think plugging in a Ethernet cable costs $60 a year).

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Jamash said:
Irridium said:
I haven't gotten any messages of a firmware update. Just signed into live just fine, and didn't need to update anything. Is this firmware update automatic or something?
This update is only available to people who have signed up to the beta programme to test the new disc format, it hasn't been released to the public yet.

Doclector said:
If you have the type of console that would be affected by the update (when it's released to the public), then Microsoft will contact you to offer you a replacement.

They know exactly which models will be affected and can identify those consoles over X-Box Live, so there's no reason to be nervous.
By the time the update is released to the public all of the problematic consoles should have been replaced (with the exception of those people who don't connect their console to Live because they think plugging in a Ethernet cable costs $60 a year).
It's just i've got rough times ahead, and my xbox live friends are the only people i can depend on to help me through such times of crisis. If i'm left without that lifeline, my work will suffer and i can't afford that.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Hoping mine is one of the ones affected. Looking forward to find out with this update. Though I am sure I cant be that lucky.

Jamash said:
Irridium said:

Doclector said:

Any idea when the update goes public?

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
EcksTeaSea said:
Hoping mine is one of the ones affected. Looking forward to find out with this update. Though I am sure I cant be that lucky.

Jamash said:
Irridium said:

Doclector said:

Apparently it's being phased in between the 19th and 30th of May, from what I read on another site, but I don't know for sure.

Apr 28, 2008
Jamash said:
Irridium said:
Ah, alright then.

Jamash said:
Doclector said:

Wait, do you mean the update will replaced to be old-console friendly, or will they put out some sort of program for people to replace their consoles? Or something else?

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Jamash said:
EcksTeaSea said:

Jamash said:
Irridium said:

Doclector said:

Apparently it's being phased in between the 19th and 30th of May, from what I read on another site, but I don't know for sure.
All right thanks. Heres to hoping mine is one of those that are screwed. I have the Elite that came out in 07 so really hoping I am one of those.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Irridium said:
Jamash said:
Irridium said:
Ah, alright then.

Jamash said:
Doclector said:

Wait, do you mean the update will replaced to be old-console friendly, or will they put out some sort of program for people to replace their consoles? Or something else?
From what I can gather from reading this story on different sites (some of which have worded the same thing differently) and trying to find the original source story, the beta testers uncovered the problem with the new DVD firmware that presumably affects only a certain model of 360 with a specific model of DVD drive, so Microsoft are looking at their records and contacting everyone with that type of 360 to offer a replacement.

I'm not entirely sure though, since I think one of the sites seems to have made two stories out of one occurrence (presenting the "contact Microsoft to replace your console" aspect of the story out of context as a separate story), so it's all a bit confusing.

HitsWithStyxx

Nov 26, 2009
Jabberwock xeno said:
joystickjunki3 said:
I haven't been prompted to update my firmware yet...?
Nor have I.
They're doing it in 6 waves between the 19th and the 30th to "ensure a high quality deployment".

But yeah, I'ma jump on the wagon and hope my Xbox bricks :D

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Always happy to see legitimate consumers suffer for the silly war on piracy.

No wait...