First Day of ME2 - Expectations met?

Bad Cluster

Nov 22, 2009
My only real issue with ME2 is mandatory resource probing, makes me think back and rethink my hatred for MAKO. Why mandatory? Well, if you want a perfect ending, you will have to work for it, literally.

Combat system would be the other complaint. It is still too easy, more fun than ME combat, but still. Cover system is good and every combat area is designed to make sure you know it, as a result you will be spending 90% of your battles shooting from cover if you want to live.

Your squad mates are much smarter now, which is a good thing, but if you pick Garrus and Thane and equip them with Viper Sniper Rifles, the game will play itself for you, even on Veteran they will kill everything on their path with minimal assistance, I'm not sure if that was intended.

Finally, game feels too dark in some places and cutscenes, reminds me of Doom 3, except there is no flashlight. You can see that even from the official screenshots and trailers.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Xzi said:
OMG, I just heard a game salesman say, "have you tried Galaxy of Mythology yet? I hear it's got 11 million players now." ROFL @ epic win.

Plus I just bought a space hamster. A freaking SPACE HAMSTER!
That game salesman says some hilarious shit. My favorite is his line on how rpgs these days suck.

Anyway, any complaints I have besides that irritating planet scanning shit is trivial. It's a pretty phenomenal game. But this is bioware, I expected as much.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
LordCuthberton said:
It seems the backlash has struck ME2 fans the same way MewTwo and Halo went.

As a bystander who has played neither it seems the fanbase is starting to tear a slight bit...
No one seemed angry in this thread at all. There was only one person who specifically stated that their expectations were not met. And that was this guy:
EspirituExterminatus said:
All of the, "This is good but..." comments are made with the assumption that you, the reader, understand that they still like the game overall.

At least, that's the vibe I'm getting.

Bad Cluster

Nov 22, 2009
Hiphophippo said:
Xzi said:
OMG, I just heard a game salesman say, "have you tried Galaxy of Mythology yet? I hear it's got 11 million players now." ROFL @ epic win.

Plus I just bought a space hamster. A freaking SPACE HAMSTER!
That game salesman says some hilarious shit. My favorite is his line on how rpgs these days suck.
Conversations about humans between a quarian and some turian in the Eternity Bar on Illium are pretty good to, subtle and awesome stab at ME community and their unhealthy obsession with certain quarian named Tali.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Wolveria said:
Only thing that bugs me so far, teeny tiny miniscule text. I have a crap TV, so I can't read a thing, not even mission logs. I've wanted to upgrade for a while now, and I think this may push me over the edge to do it.
All next gen games have tiny text when played on a crap TV. I feel your pain don't have money to upgrade.

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
starfox444 said:
Spectrum_Prez said:
TheLastCylon said:
The only thing I don't like about the game is you can't put your gun away or take it out as you please.
In combat areas, you can. The default is "H" for holster, although I remapped that to "q" asap.
Kind of screwed up your squad management?
Moved those two to "1" and "2" since I always pause to use abilities anyways.

Anyone having trouble with stability issues? Over about 12 hours I've had two CTDs, something that never happened once in ME1. Also, there was one massive performance drop that I had to restart to fix. Its not a big deal, just wondering.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Spectrum_Prez said:
starfox444 said:
Spectrum_Prez said:
TheLastCylon said:
The only thing I don't like about the game is you can't put your gun away or take it out as you please.
In combat areas, you can. The default is "H" for holster, although I remapped that to "q" asap.
Kind of screwed up your squad management?
Moved those two to "1" and "2" since I always pause to use abilities anyways.

Anyone having trouble with stability issues? Over about 12 hours I've had two CTDs, something that never happened once in ME1. Also, there was one massive performance drop that I had to restart to fix. Its not a big deal, just wondering.
i don't have the game (cause im in England) but it could be your computer getting used to it, especially if its your first time playing the game, happens to me all the time no matter what game.

or it could be everything in the game trying to load at once, maybe turning the graphics down may help =)

or your computer just hiccuped =\ damn computers and their hiccups

Drift-Bus

Sep 17, 2008
Jandau said:
If you want something to ***** about, try this: If you start a new character the game defaults to the "arsehole" ending from ME1, which means the Council is dead, Humans take over the new Council, Shepard picks Udina as the new Council Leader. As it stands, as soon as I finish my first playthrough of ME2, I'll have to go back and play ME1 just to get a decent save out of it. I don't understand why new characters aren't allowed to specify these things, there's even a section of the game early on where it could have been done easily...
I don't know how to feel abou that. While I think that is a terrible move, I'm personally glad my save slot is the good play through, and my game I wanted to start from scracth was the evil options.

But that is totally balls

Uilleand

Mar 20, 2009
Jandau said:
If you want something to ***** about, try this: If you start a new character the game defaults to the "arsehole" ending from ME1, which means the Council is dead, Humans take over the new Council, Shepard picks Udina as the new Council Leader. As it stands, as soon as I finish my first playthrough of ME2, I'll have to go back and play ME1 just to get a decent save out of it. I don't understand why new characters aren't allowed to specify these things, there's even a section of the game early on where it could have been done easily...
To make it worse...default Shep means Wrex died on Virmire. *sobs*
And, while I totally understand letting council die (even as a Paragon, killing Sovereign should be the first priority!), WTF UDINA??? Not a chance in HELL! Dood's lucky not to have the Mako driven up his rectal cavity!

So, I blogged a full review here: http://singblueeyes.livejournal.com/3950.html
But, TL/DR:
I'm an RPG player, so it took me some time to love the combat. (I'm old. I don't have reflexes, people...LOL) But, by level 14 I started to feel comfortable...at about 20, I finally felt like I had my badass Shepard back. I love the new vanguard powers - the concussion strike and the blast forward. So. Much. Fun.

LOVE: SPACE HAMSTER!!
The Normandy's engineers - Haggis and poker FTMFW!!
Punching the reporter. Again.
The new paragon/renegade actions

HATE: Scanning for minerals
Some of the romance dialogue is cringeworthy coming from a female Shep
One of the things I loved about ME1 was Shepard's easy, athletic walk and run. Now, for some reason, when she's got her gun in her hand, she moves like my brother in law's German shepard pup. (Heee...Shepard...I totally didn't mean to do that.) Her feet seem to slap on the ground with much akwardness...

ShotgunSmoke

Apr 19, 2009
This is the best game I've ever played. I knew that right after the opening.

Completed it in 47 hours, completed all sidequests, explored all planets, made every member loyal, bought all the upgrades. Every teammate survived the suicide mission. Of course, there was a certain price to pay for being fully prepared for the mission.

Also, I love the touches by Bioware, like Blasto (ENKINDLE THIS!), the quarian girl complaining about relationships with humans (totally bitchslapped the Talimance community), the game salesman and some aliens freaking out and calling every human "racist!" (specially for Ashley haters).

The dialogues are pure cinema quality.

"When you want a problem shot, ask a turian. When you want a problem talked to death, ask an asari. When you want a new problem, ask a salarian. When you want a problem solved, ask a human."

Drakulla

May 19, 2009
I'm having a great time playing this game. I download the game to my HD so loading is somewhat faster. The graphics are great and no texture popping. I like all the new improvements including the hacking which takes some getting use to in the beginning. The new Normandy is awesome and well worth it. Great game and I can't wait to play more.