First Gen 9 Console Reviews!

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
The vast majority of consumers also only play CoD, Fifa, Minecraft, Fortnite or GTA5 so these numbers are pretty irrelevant. Games I don't like or which I completed but won't feel like playing again I delete from the system but even then space fills up in no time. For example FF7 Remake alone is over 90 GB. With the 500GB launch PS4(with about 30GB reserved for firmare updates) that is almost like a fifth. If you have 23 games installed probably 20 of those are indies. I agree it's not a problem at launch but external ssd support is definitely something they should update rather sooner than later.
What the vast majority of consumers do is pretty irrelevant? That doesn't make sense. Even if we aren't talking about the gamers that only play a couple super popular games, most other gamers aren't ever playing so many games at once that they can't delete game data of some game they haven't touched in a year (and don't plan on playing soon) when they get a new game.

I got the following installed (with 70GBs free):
-Bayo/Vanquish (like one PS4 game in size)
-Control
-Monster Hunter World / Iceborne
-Sekiro
-Dishonored Definitive Edition (size of a PS4 game)
-Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition
-Hitman (nearly 60GBs)
-Shadow of the Colossus
-Rest are indies probably 5GBs or less

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
That's a kind of reductionist approach. Many people who pre-ordered a PS5 for DeS for example aren't 'done' with PS4 yet and it's nice that there is this continuity with the new system. So many great titles have come out that you might want to revisit in the future so it's great that you can play them all on one console without having to rotate systems or having them plugged in or replace when they break. It also gives the PS5 a huge library from the start. When games aren't seen as just disposable toys it will also give a new generation of gamers the chance to play a classic like Bloodborne for example(instead of being relegated to an obsolete system like the original DeS).
See the thing is, when people have the urge to revisit a classic it is because they haven't played it in a long while. Which means it probably isn't installed on any system, so this isn't all that much of a realistic point.

The backwards compatability is nice and certainly makes it harder to justify putting off buying a PS5. However you still don't have to toss the old system away.

I don't see how it is reductionist to expect that you don't instantly stuff your old system in the closet the second you bring home the new system. Especially if there are games that you still have a vested interest in played on it. Maybe you move the Ps4 to a different TV, instead of your main gaming TV or your best TV. Maybe the Ps4 gets put into the bedroom, or office, or garage TV's for those times when you wanna play in a different situation.

Also they make HDMI spliters for like $15 bucks. that allows you to plug in to systems into the same port on your TV.

I just think the attitude of "I wanna be able to play all the new games AND all the old games at the same time" is just unrealistic thinking.

Even if you could immediately add the second SSD to the system, how does in improve your next gen gaming? Because being able to play the games you can already play on the system you already have, isn't next gen gaming.

I don't know, I've got a shitload of games, over 500 on steam and over 120 games for PS4, and I've never once had issue with storage. I play a game, i finish, I move on. It's rare that i save a game on a system after I've gotten my fill. And if i do want to revisit something old, I just redownload it, it's not a big deal.

What people are describing is like a hoarding problem, except worse because freeing up your harddrive doesn't mean you've trashed the game forever. So there really isn't an excuse that makes enough sense to justify the need for multiple storage drives worth of games.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I know some hate ACG... but I'm excited about what he tells us here. Even games not enhanced for the Series X are loading very fast from a USB SSD drive he connected to it.

Oooooo... portable. I wonder if it will work not having it's own power...

1604962017465.png

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Uuhhh...ACG ran in to a problem with his PS5. Sony is working with him on figuring things out, so hang in there man.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Uuhhh...ACG ran in to a problem with his PS5. Sony is working with him on figuring things out, so hang in there man.

First one I’ve heard of, but a good reminder that this is virgin hardware that still needs to be run through its paces. A good couple years from now and we’ll see plans for a revamped, more efficient Slim model, discounted with a bundle.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
First one I’ve heard of, but a good reminder that this is virgin hardware that still needs to be run through its paces. A good couple years from now and we’ll see plans for a revamped, more efficient Slim model, discounted with a bundle.
Never buy a console at launch.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Never buy a console at launch.
I think it's fine to be an early adopter, so long as you have the money to waste and buy the better version when it inevitably comes out a couple of years down the line.

Personally, I'll be getting a PS5 as soon as I can find one in stock. This is mostly because I know that if I wait 2 years I'm not going to go back and play a lot of the launch games that I wanted to play. I just won't have time.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think it's fine to be an early adopter, so long as you have the money to waste and buy the better version when it inevitably comes out a couple of years down the line.
That the thing, not everyone has that option. You get a console early, you're a glorified beta tested that cashed in $400-$600 without getting paid for it. Unless you're a game review or journalist that works for a website.

This is mostly because I know that if I wait 2 years I'm not going to go back and play a lot of the launch games that I wanted to play. I just won't have time.
The reason why I am waiting 2 years is because most of the games I wanna play on PS5 are delayed to 2021 and 2022 any way. The only launch title I care about are Spider-Man Miles (which is on PS4) and Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart (delayed to the Q2 of 2021).

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
That the thing, not everyone has that option. You get a console early, you're a glorified beta tested that cashed in $400-$600 without getting paid for it. Unless you're a game review or journalist that works for a website.
I'm not, but I do work in the game industry and like to be caught up on the current gaming tech since it's usually a point of discussion at the office.