First Habitable Planet Confirmed by French Scientists

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
zxBARRICADExz said:
anyone want to assist me in the creation of a gravity drive:)?
Nah thanks, last time someone used the term "gravity drive" to describe FTL travel, it opened a gateway to hell. Messy for all invlved.

NathLines

May 23, 2010
Greg Tito said:
a group from Australia announced the discovery of a sixth plant in the Gliese 581 system
Wait! We've only discovered 6 plants so far? We're pretty oblivious to our surroundings, no?

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
It can't support us...
Launch all nuclear weapons!
If we cant have it then no one can!
NathLines said:
Greg Tito said:
a group from Australia announced the discovery of a sixth plant in the Gliese 581 system
Wait! We've only discovered 6 plants so far? We're pretty oblivious to our surroundings, no?
you...
you have no idea how hard this is do you?

StellarViking

Apr 10, 2011
Twenty light-years is a mind-boggling distance. Let's say the distance from Earth to the Sun, 1 AU, is one centimeter. That's 155 million kilometers in one centimeter. The nearest star to the solar system is Proxima Centauri, which is ~4.22 light-years away. If the distance from Earth to the Sun is one centimeter, the distance from Earth to Proxima Centauri would be about two and one-third kilometers away. It takes us between two to five years to travel two inches in the same scale, but the distance to Gliese 581d is ten miles .

So yes, cosmically speaking, it's very close, especially considering the Milky Way itself is around 100,000 light years in diameter, but it's still a completely unreasonable distance at our current technology level. The other thing to think about is communication. Even if we can travel faster than light, radio waves can't. Assuming they travel at the speed of light, it'd still take twenty years for us to hear anything from Gliese 581d.

That being said, if we can colonize it, that would be awesome. I'd love to experience life on a planet that isn't Earth, something that would be completely new.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Awesome, a habitable planet, although I will never see it as its way too far away. Maybe we can send messages though, but they would also take a hellova long time.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
so whats up with 581g? its looks slightly smaller than earth but is right smack bang in the godilock zone unlike the other 2 planets that look to be on the edges.

Gerhardt

May 21, 2010
I remember reading an article in a popular science type magazine a little while back about an engineer who was working on a kind of plasma based engine. The goal of it was to be used to transport a crew to Mars. I don't know what the timeline would be like for a 20 light year trip, but I suppose it's not impossible...

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
20 light-years? This calls for warp bubble technology, get my space bender!

That interesting to hear. With all the planets out there I'm sure there was an earth like one somewhere but its interesting to know that we actually found the first one.

Deathfyre

Mar 6, 2010
This is cool, though I'm not a fan of life having pre-defined parameters. Aliens could be radically different from what we're used to, but we're so convinced that life can be defined by the way it's found here that we could end up passing right by a planet covered in life, just because we don't think anything can survive there

Gerhardt

May 21, 2010
Deathfyre said:
This is cool, though I'm not a fan of life having pre-defined parameters. Aliens could be radically different from what we're used to, but we're so convinced that life can be defined by the way it's found here that we could end up passing right by a planet covered in life, just because we don't think anything can survive there
True dat, but I think it makes sense to look for similarities first before looking for radically different life forms. Plus there's the added bonus of potential colonization with finding an Earth-like planet.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
NathLines said:
Greg Tito said:
Only 6 in the Gliese 581 system, we are actually better at this than you would think.

NASA; on the Kepler space telescope said:
The discoveries are part of several hundred new planet candidates identified in new Kepler mission science data, released on Tuesday, Feb. 1. The findings increase the number of planet candidates identified by Kepler to-date to 1,235. Of these, 68 are approximately Earth-size; 288 are super-Earth-size; 662 are Neptune-size; 165 are the size of Jupiter and 19 are larger than Jupiter. Of the 54 new planet candidates found in the habitable zone, five are near Earth-sized. The remaining 49 habitable zone candidates range from super-Earth size -- up to twice the size of Earth -- to larger than Jupiter.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2011-036

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
Well we not be able to go there, but are we at least able to check if they've got civilization there already?

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
VGC USpartan VS said:
I wonder if tall, blue people live there.
yup.
And they hate marines.
Or they all hate spartans, whichever underhanded and slightly obvious joke you perfer.

TheBoulder

Nov 11, 2009
Fucking Einstein is always ruining our fun.
We should burn everything he's ever written so we don't have to play by his rules.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
"Habitable planet"

"Double the gravity"

"Dense cloud cover"

Yeah... Sounds like a reasonable conclusion...

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
artanis_neravar said:
Several of these planets fall within the star's "Goldilocks" zone, neither too hot from proximity to the star nor too cold from being too far. If a planet is too hot, all water would be steam but if its too cold then it would be ice, neither of which can support life.
It should read human life, people should stop assuming that because life evolved on Earth, this exact set up is the only way life can thrive, instead the thought process should be life evolved in this particular way because of these particular set up
I think part of the issue with that is, we KNOW 100% certain that our planet can support life, because... well, look outside, or on TV, or in a mirror. If it can support life as WE know it, then there's a damn good chance of, well, either life being there or it being able to handle us if/when we get there. Realistically, set the parameters for life radically differently, such as not even needing to process oxygen, and almost any planet MIGHT have some vague form of life on it. THIS one has all the ingredients we take for granted aound here, and as such has a damn good chance of being, as the poets would say, Freaking Awesome.