First Habitable Planet Confirmed by French Scientists

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
problem is a planet with significantly higher gravity isn't really "habitable," at least not in the traditional sense. the other difficulty is that no matter how advanced telescope technology is, it's still hard to see an Earth-size planet from any significant distance. The method astronomers most commonly use to find extrasolar planets is looking at a star with a wonky orbit- that usually means that, in the absence of another star, a planet is probably causing the interference, giving scientists a place to look. The problem is that for this to be detectable, the star has to be small and the planet has to be big, especially if there's going to be a reasonable chance that the planet is in a habitable zone. this means that most discovered extrasolar planets are huge, and orbiting red dwarfs, meaning their surface gravity tends to be ridiculous.

edman270

Jan 25, 2010
ScoopMeister said:
Finally! I knew the French would do something useful that didn't involve any bread-based foodstuffs eventually!
thats explains why we kept them around so long finally!

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Deathfyre said:
This is cool, though I'm not a fan of life having pre-defined parameters. Aliens could be radically different from what we're used to, but we're so convinced that life can be defined by the way it's found here that we could end up passing right by a planet covered in life, just because we don't think anything can survive there
Well technically, intelligence requires something similar to a human body. We know any intelligent life form will have opposable fingers. We know alien organisms would require a liquid similar to our blood in order to transport whatever they use for breathing to their major organs. The skull would be as big as ours, if not bigger, in order to house a large brain. They'd have skin, obviously, to protect against UV radiation. They'd have all the organs we humans have for obvious reasons. By the way, this does not necesarelly mean those organs would look like ours. What I'm saying is that their organs would have to perform the functions of our heart, kidneys, liver etc.

Still, in the end, the only true similarities intelligent life forms would share would be opposable thumbs, bipedal movement and a large skull to house the brain. Whilst we'd have similar organs that would perform functions similar to ours that does not mean they'd look like ours do.

Galliam

Dec 26, 2008
I just fucking LOVE this. Too bad our governments have their thumbs up their asses as far as any space travel is concerned these days.

Economically it may make "sense" but theres prolly a few worlds out their with dead civilizations that made the economical choice of cutting space travel.

TheAmokz

Apr 10, 2011
Android2137 said:
Well we not be able to go there, but are we at least able to check if they've got civilization there already?
We better not. French would immideatly surrender to them.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Welp, least we know it's there when we've developed technology to finally reach it. It might suck for living conditions but if it could do stuff like...oh I dunno, grow food, then it has a use.

Abengoshis

Aug 12, 2009
They've found many possibly habitable worlds. Oddly I do remember another Gliese one from a different system. Well not that it matters since theres no way we're getting there soon. xD

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
TheAmokz said:
Android2137 said:
Well we not be able to go there, but are we at least able to check if they've got civilization there already?
We better not. French would immideatly surrender to them.
Or we Americans would promptly try claim the entire thing for ourselves...

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Greg Tito said:
If we used the same technology that was used to launch the shuttle Endeavor this week, the journey to Gliese would take almost 300,000 years.
On the other hand, the shuttles are designed to go to low orbit and nowhere else. Saturn rockets(the one we used to get to the moon) are significantly faster.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
You know, what really is the guarantee that this planet can even support life? What if it doesn't even have an oxygen atmosphere, or what if all the plant life is poisonous or something? What happens if we spend trillions on a colonizing mission and the ship gets there and the planet has been destroyed by a meteorite? Sheesh, call me when we actually get tangible proof.

Mar 30, 2010
Racecarlock said:
We discovered this planet YEARS ago! Did the news room just barely get this info?!
[link]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13423085[/link]

TL;DR: The planet was discovered years ago, but originally thought to be incapable of supporting life. New research has since show this initial assumption to be wrong, hence the news story.

OT: If this planet can support life, but is 20 light years away, how can they have heard the word of our Lord? To the Jehovah-mobile!

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
ReaperzXIII said:
5. Do what we always do when finding new things...
doing step 3 over and over again?

Also, 20 lightyears really is close. Let's invent some kind of hyperdrive and terraform this nice planet.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
"perpetual murky red twilight"

Red dwarfs do not produce red light, while they are not as bright as our sun they are still hot enough to appear white. Our sun is a yellow dwarf and we don't live under yellow light.

Brown dwarfs give off significant heat but not significant light and this probably would be a dim red glow from a human perspective. But red dwarfs are hotter than your average light-bulb and they don't look red.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Darth_Dude said:
You know, what really is the guarantee that this planet can even support life? What if it doesn't even have an oxygen atmosphere, or what if all the plant life is poisonous or something? What happens if we spend trillions on a colonizing mission and the ship gets there and the planet has been destroyed by a meteorite? Sheesh, call me when we actually get tangible proof.
Exactly. The planet seems to lie in an orbital region for liquid water on its surface. That does not equate to "habitable". Mars is in an orbit where liquid water is possible, and we don't call that habitable.

The conditions on Earth have changed quite alot over the years, including a few different ways of being what we would call "uninhabitable" (including once when the planet was frozen over, without its orbit being any different, mind).

Am I the only one getting tired of these things pretending to be massively exciting news?

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Valkyrie

^ Would cost us a decade of income of the entire planet, but it would get us there in, what, 22 years? And it would feel much shorter for the crew!

But no, it's not the most hospitable place I can imagine. Our cardiovascular systems wouldn't last a month. Imagine spending 22 years in a can, and then dying on a 2G planet of an aneurysm...

EDIT: Oh, sorry, the craft would have to accelerate and decelerate from 0.92c, so... it would take more than 22 years, probably a lot more. But still orders of magnitude less than a space shuttle would take!

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
Let's start colonizing! Remember, name it Eden Prime so that when the Reapers attack, we can act like we fucking called it.