First Person Platforming

Gevas

Mar 28, 2011
Akalabeth said:
I completely disagree with the Mirror's Edge critcizism.
You ever do long jump yahtzee? You're not looking at your feet when you jump. Why would first person platforming be any different?

Mind you I think the main thing that games have missed is that, when you're in first person and platforming you do things differently in different circumstances. If you're taking a leap off a building like mirror's edge, then it should be as it IS in the game where you don't focus on your feet, you judge your distance to the edge and jump when appropriate because in real life that's how it would happen.

But if you're talking about slow, smaller platform progression, then there may be a great emphasis on foot placement and that sort of precision is generally not emulated in first person games.
This nails it. Long story short: if you're having that much trouble placing where your feet are in something like Mirror's Edge then my best guess would be that you never learned how to platform with your real body let alone one in a game.

OctoH

Feb 14, 2011
The first-person platforming sections of Assassin's Creed: Revelations were not too bad. It played more like Portal than anything else, which was quite a change of pace for the game. And I liked finding out more about Desmond's life anyway.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
I actually liked how vertical movement was implemented in the Brink
It was partial auto-pilot, because of that same reason Yahtzee mentions- inability to feel your character
And in general I like 1st person platforming
Maybe I'm a masochist :)

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
I never had any problems playing Mirror's Edge.
But clearly a lot of people did, so I guess that experiment just plain didn't work out overall.
Exception doesn't prove the rule, and all that.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
I for one loved Mirror's Edge, and would absolutely pay for a sequel.

I thought that the perspective stuff was done pretty well in Mirror's Edge, and only stumbled at a couple of points because of some bad level design, but the engine I feel was workable and worked well when it did work.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Yahtzee's wrong this time. He can talk as much as he likes, but the fact is Quantum Conundrum worked. I didn't have any problems jumping onto the platforms, while I DO have many problems pointing a tiny crosshair with my mouse at a moving target in shooters. Should I therefore say that FPS's don't work? Nah, maybe it's just me. Maybe.

peruvianskys

Jun 8, 2011
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Yahtzee's wrong this time. He can talk as much as he likes, but the fact is Quantum Conundrum worked. I didn't have any problems jumping onto the platforms, while I DO have many problems pointing a tiny crosshair with my mouse at a moving target in shooters. Should I therefore say that FPS's don't work? Nah, maybe it's just me. Maybe.
Very true. I loved the platforming in QC and in Mirror's Edge. As others have said, once you think about how you jump in real life, it's surprisingly intuitive.

bandman232

Jun 27, 2010
Alakaizer said:
I've found that the Metroid Prime series are pretty good first-person platformers. I think of them as platformers, because more of the point of the game is maneuvering through the world, whereas the enemies are just stuff to clear out of each room before you do so. I think that's the reason I have no problem playing the Prime trilogy, even though I suck at FPSs.
I don't really count the Metroid Prime trilogy as an FPS because it's more that just shooting an endless wave of Russians in a linear and boring landscape.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
guitarsniper said:
I never had a problem with missing stuff when I played Mirror's Edge. Maybe it's a PC thing, I dunno. It does seem like it might be harder to do that kind of precision platforming using a thumbstick to look around.
Played it on my xbox had absolutely no problem with missing stuff using a thumbstick. God I want a sequel to that game already!

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
Yeah, I gave up on mirrors edge after a while. The shooting sections were awful and I wasn't over struck with the platforming felt clumsy when you got to the precision jumping sections.

I'm really looking forward to Dishonored at the end of the year, but the fact that it's in first person does worry me a little, especially after watching the dev in the gameplay video clumsily try to jump up onto an open window at one part (can't remember if it's the stealth or action gameplay vid).

Hopefully there won't be too much precision jumping in that, either way I'll be getting that game.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
It's interesting to see the split between people that have no trouble with first person platforming and the people that have all the trouble with it. Personally I think it's fine.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I never got Yahtzee's criticism of Mirror's edge.
The first person platforming worked excellently for me, and I've never met anyone who has had the kind of problems he describes with it.
In my mind, it works as a great example for the fact that first person platforming can work.
It might probably have been improved if they made it so that the character - when running up to jump off a ledge - spaces her steps in such a way as to always take the last step at the very edge, as a human would do naturally. Preferrably with some sort of indication that the last step has been reached, as you would know that intiutively in real life.

Figuring out that your feet leave a ledge slightly after it leaves your field of vision isn't exactly rocket science though, and I found jumping in Mirror's edge intuitive as can be.
The only issue were that the controls could occasionally feel clunky and heavy when trying to navigate precisely while running, or being precise with your footsteps, in regard to hitting staircases with a running start without accidentally sliding sort of sideways on the way there and hitting the railing.

In contrast, 3D third person platformers have always felt horrible to me. I've always been jumping around hitting walls and shit, because the character changes directions and speed according to the movement of my joystick which is not a millimetre precision tool. In such platformers I've also always felt as I've been sliding around on a soapy surface whenever landing on a platform.
It's like guiding this little r/c car and trying to hit a narrow ramp at high speeds, but controlling the little fucker accurately from an outside perspective is just so difficult when the steering is that sensitive, so you end up missing the ramp over and over.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Alakaizer said:
I've found that the Metroid Prime series are pretty good first-person platformers. I think of them as platformers, because more of the point of the game is maneuvering through the world, whereas the enemies are just stuff to clear out of each room before you do so. I think that's the reason I have no problem playing the Prime trilogy, even though I suck at FPSs.
I was going to say something about Metroid Prime as an example of doing it right lol.

I actually really like fps platformer mechanics

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
peruvianskys said:
Very true. I loved the platforming in QC and in Mirror's Edge. As others have said, once you think about how you jump in real life, it's surprisingly intuitive.
I think the issue might be that certain gamers who have been raised on third person platformers have trouble adjusting from thinking of themselves as controlling a little jumping bastard from outside to thinking of themselves as actually being the one doing the jump, being there in the situation and playing it from the inside.
They're used to getting all the information they need from the visuals. "My characters feet are exactly three inches from the ledge", but playing something like Mirror's edge requires you to use your intuition and "feel" when your feet are at the edge of the jump.
Some people, like Yahtzee, just can't do it, I reckon.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
There is nothing wrong with first person platforming. Just because someone is not competent enough to play a first person platforming game doesn't make it a bad idea. It's all about how good you are. And thankfully there are still games out there that provide a challenge besides the usual "shoot them dudes". There are people who are abysmal at RTS games or fighting games. But saying that they don't work because you suck at them is pretty stupid if you ask me.

Platforming in third person view is a lot harder for me actually. I often miscalculate the distance between the object and the character. When I look at the character from a third person perspective, my perception of the actual distance between the character and the object (a ledge for example) is not accurate. In first person view it is accurate.

Jun 23, 2008
Hopefully I got inside the Yahtzee window.

1nfinite_Cros5 ninjaed my idea [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.381402-First-Person-Platforming#15026405] which is to augment first-person games with jumping elements by extrapolating from ideas we've already seen.

I had the same problem with Mirror's Edge that Yahtzee did, that some jumps were just too easy to screw up, resulting in a many-story plummet, a slow reload and eventually my consultation of walkthrough videos just to make sure I'm really supposed to be going that way (because I was often unclear). But Mirror's Edge had runner vision [http://mirrorsedge.wikia.com/wiki/Runner_Vision] which would turn potential pathways red. I don't see why they could also color code reachable ledges based on a leap from your current trajectory.

A couple other devices were used in Portal that would be useful in a first-person platformer: The first device you could enable or disable, called the portal funnel, which adjusted your trajectory mid-flight to ensure if you were close to falling through a portal, you would. The other device was less demonstrated (and less obvious in the first game compared to the second) which made sure that if you placed a portal near a key location, it would position and align that portal just so that it would best serve the (developer's intended) solution to the puzzle.[footnote]Sometimes at the expense of unforeseen, more innovative solutions to the puzzle.[/footnote]

An elegent feature and nifty power was provided in the (now good ol') game Giants: Citizen Kabuto [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giants:_Citizen_Kabuto]. Delphi's turbo ability would cause her to leap (that is, fly in a parabolic arc) to a point designated by her reticle. This as a secondary jump feature, or how someone jumps when they're also pushing forward (indicating he or she wants to jump to somewhere rather than simply jump up.) would provide an elegant solution. Perhaps a visual effect can be used to indicate targeting-for-jump a surface that is not directly visible from the player's perspective.

This is related to the issue of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EdgeGravity][/I], though interestingly not the Tomb Raider series that borrowed the same engine.

But Sands of Time has a special place in my heart specifically because in it, it was very easy for the player to get the prince to do amazing things. It was during my play-through of Sands that I realized that the less I have to manipulate the controls to do what I want in a game, the more easily I get immersed in the game.

238U

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
While I've never personally had any issues with first person platforming, I acknowledge that the majority does, so it is something that should be worked out.

Maybe I've just got better spatial awareness than most or something. :p