Five Nights at Freddy's Movie Reportedly in The Works

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Five Nights at Freddy's Movie Reportedly in The Works

Warner Bros. has picked up the rights to Scott Cawthon's surprise smash hit: Five Nights at Freddy's.

several sequels [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/five%20nights%20at%20freddys?os=five+nights+at+freddys]. Now, it looks like it may be making its way onto the big screen.

The film rights for Five Nights at Freddy's have been picked up by Warner Bros. studios, according to a report from the Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/video-game-five-nights-at-787061]. The feature adaptation will be produced by Roy Lee of Vertigo Entertainment as well as Seth Grahame-Smith and David Katzenberg of KatzSmith Productions.

"We're looking forward to working with Scott to make an insane, terrifying and weirdly adorable movie," said Grahame-Smith.

"The story really lends itself to being a movie and it taps into a largely unexplored niche of horror that a lot of people will be able to relate to," said Cawthon.

Just for a refresher, the plot of Five Nights at Freddy's revolves around a hapless security guard on night shift at Freddy Fazbear's Pizza. However, the restaurant's creepy/cute animatronic animals aren't quite as friendly during the night as they are during the day, and our hero has to do his best to avoid being caught, and killed, by his mechanical stalkers.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/video-game-five-nights-at-787061]

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
This one is really going to be dependent upon the execution...we've got enough horror films based solely around jump-scares as it is. Of course, this could actually end up putting an end to all those "FNAF Lore Theory" videos. :p

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
Need more details about their approach before... not getting excited persay, but before I'd look forward to it. I mean, it seems like something that could work, and who's nature is such that I'd hope would lend itself to not getting screwed over the way normal videogame movies are. The base idea behind the game when turned into a movie sorta seems like it'd be a low budget affair, which really doesn't mesh with the way most videogame movies try and ramp things up.

But then, a lot of the games' charm comes from the way not everything is obvious, explained, and in general leaving you with guesses and uncertainty. And that? That I can easily see not being something present in a movie. It also isn't something that lends itself to a cast of characters, so by default a lot of what the movies going to center around is going to be flat-out new which means even more unpredictability regarding how that's going to impact things.

I think just writing this out and thinking things through I came to the conclusion that it'll be a long-shot that this will do more than cash in on brand recognition.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I honestly cannot stand the cheap use of jump scares in "horror" films. If that is horror, then so is my toaster when I forget it's there. However, there is no indication that the film will use the same tactics, soooooo i'm...hopefull they may want go their own direction with the idea.
It's just...you know, hard not to see it going the easy cash-in way.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
My captcha phrase is "vogon poetry." I feel like this adequately sums up my feeling about the quality of this idea.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Remember those jokes about this becoming the next Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween and Saw with a bajillion sequels?

I guess it's going to be true after all :/

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I remember around the Time 2 was coming, of a rumor that a FNAF movie was being made and that Kevin Michael Richardson, Tom Kennys, Tara Strong and John DiMaggio were to be the voices of the Animatronics (In order of Freddy, Bonnie, Chica and Foxy). If the official Movie can get these four specifically then I will go see the movie even if it is a Jumpscare fest.

Otherwise, it'll depend on reviews and what not. Still, it's pretty neat they're making a FNAF film... Too bad it won't be out for years, and the FNAF fire will have died out considerably by then.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
If they go comedy horror and don't take themselves to seriously, like in Cabin in the Woods, then this could be good. I could rent that movie.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Mr.Mattress said:
I remember around the Time 2 was coming, of a rumor that a FNAF movie was being made and that Kevin Michael Richardson, Tom Kennys, Tara Strong and John DiMaggio were to be the voices of the Animatronics (In order of Freddy, Bonnie, Chica and Foxy)
what...
even...
the...
hell...

in all seriousness if they went with this casting it could be brilliant if it's played right. The fnaf gang are supposed to be childhood icons so it would make sense to give them famous voice actor from our childhood,it could even add to the creepiness of it but sadly Hollywood doesn't like to use regular voice actors for big movie so I doubt it

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
I always felt the backstory of Five Nights would be better suited by a different medium, although film isn't what I had in mind. Will depend on the execution but it could be really good, mainly I just want to know the truth behind the events of the games.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Didn't Scott basically come out and say that the whole reason he wasn't making a FNAF 4 was because the story was "complete" this seems to go completely against that statement if its true...

If this is legitimate though... I don't know historically these things have NOT been good, and I am concerned WB will just throw out a cheap and quick movie to cash in on it's popularity.... I don't know I will have to see what happens, for now I am being very cautious

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
thewatergamer said:
Didn't Scott basically come out and say that the whole reason he wasn't making a FNAF 4 was because the story was "complete" this seems to go completely against that statement if its true...

If this is legitimate though... I don't know historically these things have NOT been good, and I am concerned WB will just throw out a cheap and quick movie to cash in on it's popularity.... I don't know I will have to see what happens, for now I am being very cautious
While I'm not particularly hopeful, it's possible that he said that with the movie in mind, or that the movie will retread what's covered in the games.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
infinity_turtles said:
thewatergamer said:

While I'm not particularly hopeful, it's possible that he said that with the movie in mind, or that the movie will retread what's covered in the games.
Huh must have missed the part about maybe making a movie... Oh well I really don't see why this exists, as lets face it the 3rd game wrapped it up pretty well, but I will reserve judgement until it's out

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
thewatergamer said:
It really doesn't though, even more so since the movie is probably going to be just a retelling of the story, and not a follow up.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
thewatergamer said:
The movie could be a summary of all three games. Or could fill in some of the blanks the games still left out (like who Purple Guy really is).

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Could work. I would be cool with it. The game can be really creepy sometimes, and I wonder if they can adapt that to the big screen.

Otherwise, I bet Scott Cawthon is swimming in money, now.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
A video game movie of a franchise that's going to be forgotten in two years AND a modern horror movie that's going to rely on jump scares? Christ, we got something special here.
OuendanCyrus said:
What else are they going to do? Movie adaptations of Minecraft and Angry Birds?

Oh, wait.
Yeah, or Tetris.

Fuck.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
The games are so damn bare bones that I don't see how a film could appease the fans. EDIT: Then again, nothing will appease the FNaF fanbase what with their theory crafting and all. I mean stay faithful to the games (or at least the spirit of the games).

Expect the animatronics to look like shit, by the way, because the first thing about the game that will be forgotten is that the animatronics are supposed to be cute but deadly (Springtrap aside, because damn).

[image width=200]http://i.imgur.com/I9cUuBF.png[/IMG]