FLAMETHROWERS!!!

Blindswordmaster

Dec 28, 2009
Why did we stop using flamethrowers? They were developed to fight against opponents what were rooted in caves, it would seem to me that they would be perfectly suited for operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. Fellow Escapists, do you have any explanations?

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
I think the last thing you need is to make it hotter than it already is in Iraq.

But seriously, its not like we know what cave these people are in. Going around and spraying fire into every cave would be almost a big a waste of time as writing that completely unfunny joke I just made.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
We scrapped it do to health hazards (flammable gas strapped to your back) and short duration. The flamethrower had about 15 seconds of flame on a good day. Besides, we have thermobaric bombs now.

Blindswordmaster

Dec 28, 2009
SlowShootinPete said:
I still can't figure out why we stopped using nerve gas.
It was the Swiss. The Geneva Convention, limiting awesome weapons and tactics for over 50 years. That, and it made people's eyes melt.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
'Cuse they weigh a lot, and they're dangerous.

Pimppeter2 said:
I think the last thing you need is to make it hotter than it already is in Iraq.

But seriously, its not like we know what cave these people are in. Going around and spraying fire into every cave would be almost a big a waste of time as writing that completely unfunny joke I just made.
...and miss out on fighting freaking flamboyant flaming bears? I don't think so.

SniperWolf427

Jun 27, 2008
crimson5pheonix said:
We scrapped it do to health hazards (flammable gas strapped to your back) and short duration. The flamethrower had about 15 seconds of flame on a good day. Besides, we have thermobearic bombs now.
Burning alive from your own weapon is considered a health hazard? Who knew?

Flamethrowers are inefficient and unnecessary. We have much better weapons available to us these days.

Angelcraft

Apr 15, 2010
Simple, they were large targets jutting from the backs of soldiers. If they had refined the flamethrower into a better weapon, then it could have been cool, but really, it is overkill. We have automatic shotguns that can be mounted onto vehicles like turrets. HOW AWESOME IS THAT? And we have machine guns that can shoot around corners! Those beat Flamethrowers by about two or three points.

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
Pimppeter2 said:

And continuing on with this here quote would add the that waste of time.

Scolar Visari

Jan 8, 2008
Flamethrowers did not ignite when shot. There are two tanks to keep the mixture separated before dispersion.

Also we never did stop. Flamethrowers are still in use today to clear out thick brush that may be used for concealment.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Pretty much what as already been said.

they became obsolete.
They were heavy, didn't last very long, made the user a target, and the fuel used in this death machine also made the user a walking napalm bomb.

We have more efficient ways of killing now a days.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Gigaguy64 said:

they became obsolete.
They were heavy, didn't last very long, made the user a target, and the fuel used in this death machine also made the user a walking napalm bomb.

We have more efferent ways of killing now a days.
I'm... I'm sorry, but "efferent"?

SlowShootinPete

Apr 21, 2010
SniperWolf427 said:
Flamethrowers are inefficient and unnecessary. We have much better weapons available to us these days.
Like this! [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXDSwRCWwP4&feature=related]

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
crimson5pheonix said:
Gigaguy64 said:

they became obsolete.

WTF!?

Thanks for pointing that out, i could of sworn i checked over every word.....
Spelling isn't my Forte so im trying to fix that.
:p

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Gigaguy64 said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Gigaguy64 said:

they became obsolete.

WTF!?

It's okay, I saw that it wasn't being corrected, and I had to look up what it meant.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
well there is a few reasons,

they are inefficien, they do not last long and are very heavy.
they have a very short range.
if one fuel tank takes a bullet it explodes and kills everyone within 5 meters.
and we developed a thing called a thermoberic bomb. which is flamethrower heat x500.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
crimson5pheonix said:
Gigaguy64 said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Gigaguy64 said:

they became obsolete.

WTF!?

It's okay, I saw that it wasn't being corrected, and I had to look up what it meant.
hahaha.
I just looked it up too and yes, its not a word used to describe something like this.

Scolar Visari

Jan 8, 2008
Wow, guess I have to fucking say it again since nobody listens.

Flamethrowers did not ignite when shot. There are two tanks to keep the mixture separated before dispersion.

Also we never did stop. Flamethrowers are still in use today to clear out thick brush that may be used for concealment.