Flash Game Makes Players Beat Up "Tropes vs. Women" Creator

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
She really couldn't have paid for any better publicity than she's gotten over this. I might think she overstates her case in some instances, but anything that encourages discussion, especially vigorous discussion, is worthwhile in my book.

I'll likewise defend anyone who completely disagrees with her, as long as they do so in a manner that doesn't involve mere name-calling or threats. This 'game' seems to be the worst of all worlds.

Angry that someone's raising money to support a viewpoint? Well, you're free to do the same. Get out there and say something that makes people throw money at you. It's a lot harder than it looks.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
Lumber Barber said:
I hope you stop using the word "misogyny" like that. It would be misogyny if they hated all women this way, but they don't.
They just hate her.
They hate her because she's a woman who had the gall to speak for herself and criticize their beloved pastime. You can turn your head sideways and squint and maybe come up with a reason to dislike Anita Sarkeesian, but none of those reasons could possibly justify the numerous threats and endorsements of rape and violence against her. Whatever mild annoyance or disagreement these people might have had with her were amplified a million-fold because she happened to be a woman who is not currently making them a sandwich.

Don Savik said:
But then again, this is NEWGROUNDS.

WHY ARE WE SURPRISED? ARE WE NEW TO THE INTERNET?

I keep seeing so many articles were people keep getting surprised over the same thing over and over and over and OVER again. You think we would get used to stupidity after 10 years. I'm not going to spew hate filled comments towards the people that make stupid things like these flash games like a lot of you here because idiots are a dime a dozen on the internet. If I spent my time hating all of them, I would lose my mind.
An alternate approach would be for us, as a society, to speak out and do something about the rampant hatred in the video game community and possibly contribute to making the world a better place. Dismissing shit like this as par for the course is just an excuse for laziness. Newgrounds is better than you think if they were willing to blam this game out of existence.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
TheKasp said:
Don Savik said:
I don't like Anita and her terrible 'feminist' reasoning either, but I disagree with stupid shit like this. Its immature and stupid.

Funny how it's alway "It is XYZ, are we new to the interwebz" anytime something like this happens which shows some big issues in the gaminc community at large.

Does it excuse sexism and racism if it happens on certain turf?
Low brow retardness is what Newgrounds is known for. I think a flash game were you beat up an internet feminist seems pretty in context with the site. That's why I'm rolling my eyes.

I'm not saying we shouldn't excuse sexism or racism, but the game already has been taken down. This situation is already resolved and there is nothing more we can do. Getting angry doesn't help anyone.

Its not a big issue in the gaming community at large. But then again I'm not going to call everyone who games unknowingly sexist just because shit like this pops up occasionally.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
This entire thread (including my post) feeding the trolls by drawing attention to this irrelevant game.

Trolls should NOT be given the attention they crave.

This beat-up game is made by a nobody, not representative of the industry at all. These trolls BY DEFINITION do whatever it takes to be most offensive and hurtful regardless of whether it reflects their actual prejudices, to focus on the trolls is a straw-man argument, they DO NOT represent the stance of the industry, they are THE MOST EXTREME INDIVIDUALS and hyped out of proportion. The "industry" (by the broadest definition) have repeatedly rejected, marginalised, banned and censored this loud MINORITY!

But nobody cares what the industry actually does, they only focus on how a few sociopaths within cannot shut up.

You want to look at the industry, look at these games:

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250080/top-10-in-sales-first-person-shooters/

And what these people say:
http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/march02/top30/61/index2.shtm

Don't deliberately look around for the most extreme psychopaths that everyone objects to what they do.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
blalien said:
Lumber Barber said:
I hope you stop using the word "misogyny" like that. It would be misogyny if they hated all women this way, but they don't.
They just hate her.
They hate her because she's a woman who had the gall to speak for herself and criticize their beloved pastime. You can turn your head sideways and squint and maybe come up with a reason to dislike Anita Sarkeesian, but none of those reasons could possibly justify the numerous threats and endorsements of rape and violence against her. Whatever mild annoyance or disagreement these people might have had with her were amplified a million-fold because she happened to be a woman who is not currently making them a sandwich.

Don Savik said:

I keep seeing so many articles were people keep getting surprised over the same thing over and over and over and OVER again. You think we would get used to stupidity after 10 years. I'm not going to spew hate filled comments towards the people that make stupid things like these flash games like a lot of you here because idiots are a dime a dozen on the internet. If I spent my time hating all of them, I would lose my mind.
An alternate approach would be for us, as a society, to speak out and do something about the rampant hatred in the video game community and possibly contribute to making the world a better place. Dismissing shit like this as par for the course is just an excuse for laziness. Newgrounds is better than you think if they were willing to blam this game out of existence.
I'm not saying we should sit back. I'm saying we shouldn't freak out and go "THIS IS WHY I HATE HUMANITY". We should focus on things like this to stop them, but we shouldn't lose control over our emotions and generalize everyone. This is one person posting one game, and everyone thinks this is what all gamers are like.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
This is just wrong. This is...a holocaust of wrong. Sarkeeslan's doing us a service and these mysognist shitbags make this crap because instead of respectfully disagree with her or turn things into a reasonable, fair and even-tempered debate, they pull crap like this? THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS. Mysognist game programmers, go kill yourselves and stop peeing in the gene pool.

Is there any more room on the blimp to Ponyville, because I gotta get the hell outta this place.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I will say this is not a scam yet. Who knows, she may make the best and most insightful documentary ever with this $160'000 into this.

But if she does not. If she endlessly delays, puts out something short no effort badly researched piece and it emerges that she has blown most of the money on flippant luxuries... THEN it will be a scam.

$160'000 is based on a promise that it is for a video series about sexism in video GAMES, not stating the obvious that "hurr, trolls exist". If she doesn't actually spend it on the video series about the subject in question, then it is a scam. BUT ONLY THEN!

Right now it is a HUGE promise that she still has some time to deliver on... or return the money.

I wonder if she is woman enough to follow through with her commitment.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
Once again the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory proves itself correct.
Can't say I'm surprised by this, either.

I don't suppose somebody can dig up all the personal information about who made that "game" and post it publicly online somewhere?
Also for all the ones who made those images.

/Edit:
Also, lets not forget, that if somebody has NOT invested any money in this kickstarter, they have lost absolutely zero, none, nada and zilch money. This means that no matter what she does with the moneys she's got, it's not going to affect you in the slightest.

unless, of course, you're offended... [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs]

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Irridium said:
John Funk said:
Of course, the great irony here is that the vicious response is not only giving Sarkeesian's cause way more publicity than it would have otherwise gotten, but does more to illustrate the problem of misogyny in nerd/gamer culture way more than a video series ever could.

Because seriously, making a videogame about beating a woman in the face for daring to express the point of view that a male-dominated industry doesn't always treat women and female characters like it should, is kind of just making her point for her.
Said it better than I could.

Seriously, why the hell are people so pissed about her making a video series showing that women aren't portrayed in the best light in games?
Let me put it like this, people already like games. Gamers don't really have a problem with anything like gender portrayal in their games. So when people come out and say there might be something wrong people feel they're being told they're wrong and that they are bad. Essentially it isn't so much hate as much as it is insecurity because to change would be to admit we're wrong. It is a hatred of disrupting the status quote and the misplaced pride that stops us from admitting any and all faults.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
Tenmar said:
Matt_LRR said:
Tenmar said:
Given that you keep reposting that same Bayonetta video, and the "Anita Sarkeesian, college graduate" video comments on it as well, I want to ask if you understand why advocating for the creation of voluntary-use safe-spaces for women is neither anti-feminist, nor tantamount to segregation as it was historically practised along racial (or sexual, for that matter) lines?

-m
Well one good reason I link the video is cause not everyone actually sees it. Just cause you or specific people see it doesn't mean others involved in this post have seen the video. Second, that's actually the first time I've link the other following videos on this forum. Other people I notice have linked said video by "instig8ive journalist" but it's a first for me.

Thirdly, nice loaded question.

I want to ask if you understand why advocating for the creation of voluntary-use safe-spaces for women is neither anti-feminist, nor tantamount to segregation as it was historically practised along racial (or sexual, for that matter) lines?
That is its own ticking time bomb that blows up on me no matter how I answer cause it makes the logical leap that admitting there is a problem in the first place. To which honestly ignores the core of the issue when it comes to the development and creation of video games. Honestly if it really is a problem and people want to promote segregation again then that's an issue with governments. Local, state and federal. Not the video game industry because if we go with her argument that playing Bayonetta encourages people to molest women then where is the actual research to support that link? We have already proven time and time again that as more realistic and violent video games have been published violent crime rates have either stayed the same or actually decreased. It's not as big of a problem as you think it is and I certainly don't see Anita making that change in San Francisco.

Honestly to me this whole bugbear issue comes down to this. I really don't think anyone who is involved in the video game industry is actually or actively sexist. Cause if they were then those people would most likely have gotten fired for treatment of their fellow employees and I really doubt the CEO is going to be directly involved in the games development(although one could argue that they are in part involved in green lighting projects but to counter that there is a reason there is a board of directors). I'm here to enjoy my hobby of playing video games and not deal with the mindless drama of a person who sees ghosts where they aren't there and takes it upon herself to promote this conspiracy that at it's logical extension means that there are malevolent forces employed by sites like The Escapist, Destructoid and video game developers like Nintendo, Riot Games that are actively pushing some sexist agenda.

Instead what is actually there are teams of developers, producers and hard working people trying to make the games they like and how they want it to be. And with that they should honestly be free to create the game they want to create and take the praise and criticism so they learn more about themselves and how to produce a better game. Cause when you have activists trying to control the production of the game that just causes major delays in the development and where these activists never give the benefit of the doubt. Okay the new Aliens game lacks women, didn't anyone give benefit of the doubt that they just didn't think about making a female playable character? When you go down that line it sucks out all the fun and entertainment that video games are meant to be.

I wanna play the game and get the experience that the developers want me to experience for better or worse. I want to make the decision with my dollars on which narratives I want to experience and which ones I don't. I want developers and writers to be free in what they write and accept the criticism they are going to get and have an actual filter from the pointless flash animations and pictures to the actual criticisms that will make them better at their job without having to think of political correct bullshit but instead think of how to get more polygons out of the Unreal 4 engine or the Wii U dev kit.

Matt_LRR said:
I'd argue it's both, actually. Male-only playable characters is nonsensical in the lore, but it is also potentially alienating (heh) the women who might otherwise want to play the game. There's no good reason for female characters not to have been included in the first place, even if you don't consider the lore. The lore just makes it twice as unreasonable.

-m
EDIT:This is why I love you man, you are hilarious. Yeah I feel in the mood for terrible puns. Damn you Chuggaconroy!

Also to note, I'm not an Alien guy. Like I said, I saw Aliens as a kid and knew that series was NOT for me. I'll stuck with the Star Wars and Star Trek cause at least the narrative prepared me for the bigotry and violence coming and not that level of savagery. So I don't know jack about the lore.

EDIT 2: Gotta run for a bit so I won't be able to directly respond to more people who quote me for some time. So if I don't respond please don't feel bad, just having to deal with time like any other person.
That's a lot of words spent answering a question I didn't ask.

You did come close to touching on something important to my question though, and acknowledging that you can't respond, I'm going to address it.

Tenmar said:
nice loaded question.

That is its own ticking time bomb that blows up on me no matter how I answer cause it makes the logical leap that admitting there is a problem in the first place.
The fact is, the question wasn't loaded, because I was asking you if you understood why the creation of women-only spaces is not anti-feminist. Feminist theory asserts that a problem exists. Answering the question does not require you to agree with feminism on this issue (though you should anyhow), it requires you to understand why advocacy of minority safe spaces (but not necessarily majority safe spaces) squares with that particular assertion of feminist theory.

Because it's true that, on the surface, it appears like the creation of women-only spaces is antithetical to the idea of "equal rights", but contextually the creation of such a space is actually seen as either an unfortunate necessity of circumstance or as an actual interim step towards creating shared spaces that do hold men and women in equal regard.

I bring this up, because among the most common complaints of Ms. Sarkeesian's work has been to attack her understanding of feminist perspectives, and virtually ever criticism of the sort I've seen so far (including both your personal attacks onher arguments in the Bayonetta video, that destructoid article, and that "College Graduate" video, have been launched from a lay perspective that fundamentally misunderstands what feminist theory actually says, and how feminist theory underpins the specific claims Anita makes in her work.

-m

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
ElPatron said:
>people infringing her right to express her viewpoints
>detractors are actually denied to express themselves

Don't mind if I do, but since I megaloathe both parties fighting this war so I hope more fuel is thrown to the fire so I can cook some popcorns.

Oh, come on, the "gaming community" we are "part of" was always like this. Don't tell me we will suddenly start to look bad.

itsthesheppy said:
To be fair, making videos about general tropes in pop culture is not exactly equal to an interactive game depicting and encouraging violence against a specific human being.
I have played games that allowed me to shoot Russians, Germans and "A-rabs", does Infinity Ward encourage people to commit hate crimes against those people?
Those russians, germans and "A-rabs" weren't specific individuals with names, social security numbers, and home addresses.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I wonder, has this Anita Sarkeesian ever been on the internet before... or does she know exactly what she is doing?

"I'll just have totally unmoderated comment section and see what happens"

No way. No. Freaking. Way... that she didn't know what she was doing. Anyone, who has ever run a website from the very earliest days of the internet has known that you have to moderate what people post. This has been around since BEFORE the internet this has been known. You will ALWAYS get trolls and it will ALWAYS fill up with them, their vile vitriol can only breed more and even if a minority opinion it WILL be heard the most. It's an utter fantasy that a absolutist open forum with ZERO personal consequences is the ideal representative of opinion.

It's like judging a society by what graffiti is scrawled on the the back of a toilet door and then holding that up as representative of society.

Bullshot.

You judge the video game by its PRODUCTS, by its TALENT, by the MAJORITY opinion of its users.

I think she feeds on the trolls as ready made straw-men. And it's an agreeable relationship for the trolls, as they love this pathetic fight.

Meanwhile, people who REALLY CARE about this medium are looking on with dismay as Ms Sarkeesian and the Trolls are conducting this ugly charade, this sick theatre of underhanded attacks at each other. And it is all a HUGE fucking distraction from the real issue. You don't publicly argue with trolls.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
Lumber Barber said:
blalien said:
Lumber Barber said:
They just hate her.
That's still not misogyny. They won't hate a woman who doesn't agree with her.
I think your definition of misogyny is way too rigid. You don't have to hate every woman ever to be misogynist. If you hate women for disagreeing with you or for not acting subservient to you, then you are a misogynist. If you act on your hate by sending rape and death threats, then you are a misogynist. More generally, if you have criteria that will cause you to hate a woman, and that same criteria will not cause you to hate a man as much, then you are a misogynist. We can identify who is or is not being a misogynist without finding out their opinion on all the three and a half billion women on the planet.

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
FogHornG36 said:
she has a right to say what ever she wants, and make videos about what ever she wants, Totally free speech, but, this goes both ways, people have a right to say what ever they want about her, even if it is not vary nice.

When you put your face, your name, your ideals on the internet you are stepping into harms way, you can't expect people to just play nice, and treat you nice no mater what you say or do. Then again people being an ass to her got her 160,000 dollars, but what she does with that money will show everyone her true colors.
Very true, a person could say the most vile, disgusting, horrible things about a person they don't like because they might say something that is strongly disagreed by the person. It is within their freedom of speech to say this--but it doesn't make them (and their stance) look good by disagreeing with them.

A common, and in my view, immature, method of disregarding a person's view is to attack their character. Politicians do this a lot in North America that I just get sick of seeing commercials talking about why X person is bad for Y reasons, so vote for Z person instead. It just makes you look like a person that doesn't listen to other points of view, and act like a bully to someone else. I never liked bullies when I was in school, and I don't like the idea that there are ignorant bullies in the culture I'm associated with.

People are free to disagree with one another, but please don't look like a bunch of dicks when you present your argument. Listen to what they say, think about it, and present some counter-arguments to the *opinion* on your own views--not the *person*. This is basically attacking a person to prove a point that she is right.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Conn1496 said:
Fappy said:
In before "I don't want to be on this planet anymore" meme.

Seriously though. What the fuck people?
People!? This is newgrouds. 90% of "people" on Newgrounds barely know how to wipe their own arses, nevermind think logically. I do browse Newgrounds, granted, but I still know it's a galactic sized shithole most of the time.
People on Newgrounds didn't even like the stupid game and I really have to say I think the people community on Newgrounds in more impressive than this one as someone who goes to both sites regularly. Not to mention Newgrounds offers some of the best artistic communities on the internet with a art, music, animation, and game portals. I have seen some incredible talent come from Newgrounds over the years.

OT: People often forget nobody twisted anybody's arm to donate to her they chose to of there own accord knowing she did not need the money.

Mar 9, 2012
Seriously, all this crap is Rule 19 of the Internet in full effect: "The more you hate it, the stronger it gets."

The dickbags who keeps attacking her and making vile stuff like this only serves to prove her point that there is a problem with a sexist culture in video games, which gathers her sympathy and support, while making themselves look like childish, violent, and totally irrational pricks in the process.

How can they not realize this?!