Flash Game Makes Players Beat Up "Tropes vs. Women" Creator

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
BRex21 said:
If you were arguing with ME
Ah, there's your problem. I assumed we were discussing studies. You appear to want to have an argument. If we're discussing studies, there is no argument, only questions of fact. If, on the other hand, you want to have an argument on the internet with someone, I would advise you to focus on more subjective topics.

BRex21 said:
Also, At no point in time has anyone implied that female specific gender roles didn't include gathering but that they typically did not involve the more dangerous work like big game hunting, where a lack of physical prowess could very likely mean you would die, or fail to pass on your genes.
Well, yes and no. It would be more accurate to say that divisions of labor are optimized for efficient production/exploitation of resources in a specific economic/environmental context, which may or may not (generally not, but there are exceptions) involve women hunting large game. You should read the study you linked me, you would find it illuminating re: this topic.

BRex21 said:
The problem is that evolution is in and of itself widely conjecture. Conjecture based on a massive amount of evidence at hand but still conjecture. Since this study research into the human genome has helped us better trace our ancestors, and new information comes to light that can force us to re-evaluate our understanding.
The central point is that it's important to base conclusions on empirical information. That's what the study generally does, and it's certainly what you and I should do when drawing conclusions from it. There's a difference between a conjecture that is supported by empirical evidence and a conjecture that is unsupported by empirical evidence.

BRex21 said:
and the more we work this out, the equal but different, we see more and more men in the high danger jobs(big game hunting) and more women in less dangerous ones (gathering type).
No, that's still not quite accurate. The John Speth paper discusses the degrees of egalitarianism in distribution of food resources in hunter-gatherer societies. I think the paper you're thinking of is the Wood & Eagly [http://dornsife.usc.edu/wendywood/research/documents/Wood.Eagly.2002.pdf] paper you posted. You should read it - it goes into quite a deal of depth into how tasks were (and are) assigned in hunter-gatherer societies and why they were/are assigned that way. It's not quite as absolute as high danger/low danger.

BRex21 said:
Kahunaburger said:
BRex21 said:
Neither of which disproves that there WAS variance in the gender role but the existence of that variance in no way disproves that the most successful system was that of specific gender roles and in fact some of the conclusions support it.
You can make a better case that the recipe for our species historical success is our flexibility.
Yet it does not negate the fact that some systems work better than others and, from a long term evolutionary standpoint those that don't fare as well in competitive environments tend to end up dead.
Once again, you're not going to find a system that's strictly better than other systems in every case. Social structures are optimized for specific environments. This is discussed in the Wood & Eagly paper you linked, and is something you can read up on specific instances of if you're genuinely interested in this subject. (Seriously, the paper's very readable, gives you all the background information you need. You should have no problem getting through it, and it will help your understanding of this subject.)

BRex21 said:
so what you are saying is... i should be able to find a study because you know a science term? Because seriously, No person is going to be able to identify a study based on an INCORRECT NAME and brief discussion of its content. In fact knowing where it is i have no reason to believe that it is in fact the study you were referring to.
Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Which specific study would you like help with?

BRex21

Sep 24, 2010
Moonlight Butterfly said:
But the fact is its not impossible so why have the devs made the decision that old women can't fight but old men can in a medium where they have free reign. It's not like they are going for hyper-realism here is it with their magic swords and clothes that would never stay on in a battle.

It's just another form of sexism.
The problem is that everything is sexism if you want it to be, You look at these things from simply one perspective and you will always find ways in which that perspective does not measure up. I strongly bet that if there were an old lady character, particularly since every character in the soul calibur world is an impossible caricature, an none of them particularly "age naturally" or outside of anything that would make them less of a peak physical whatever-they-are. Womens aging does tend to make them look more frail, and i hear more than enough about how these games perpetuate a belief that real world violence is okay, and convince men that it is okay to hit a woman to think what would come up if there was a fighting game that had you beat up some frail looking old lady.

and while its not an impossibly its simply extremely disadvantageous and again, we are talking about this because someone said:
There's no reason to think that the women would be any worse off than the guys.
Since any broad look at the rates women's bodies deteriorate with age shows that in similar situations male bodies tend to perform better physically there is in fact reason to believe that the women would be worse off. Its called empirical evidence.

BRex21

Sep 24, 2010
Kahunaburger said:
BRex21 said:
If you were arguing with ME
Ah, there's your problem. I assumed we were discussing studies. You appear to want to have an argument. Sadly, if we're discussing studies, there is no argument, only questions of fact.
Just stop the stupid quotemines, you are arguing a point that you made up, you specifically took what i say out of context so you can construct a strawman to argue against. Particularly here where you OBVIOUSLY cut off the part where i say you are doing this to take it to mean that i am improperly applying the studies.

Kahunaburger said:
Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Which specific study would you like help with?
What im asking is that you behave like a rational human being, not a toddler. You think i should be able to find a study you are referencing with an incorrect title and accusing me of not being serious because i didn't take the time to research all the papers in paleontology the last 30 years to find the one that you are referring. What im asking is for you to at the very least be willing to hold yourself to just a tiny fraction of the standard that you expect other people to behave to.

Congratulations you are a world class troll who has wasted far more time than i should have let you.

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
Kahunaburger said:
Crazycat690 said:
This is why it pisses me off everytime a female feminist starts to whine about trivial shit that doesn't matter in the slightest, I actually had a female friend who complained that her boyfriend looked at other girls, SERIOUSLY? Couldn't believe anyone would want to be her boyfriend, she constantly talked about how men are pigs and whatnot.
Um... I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how, as a victim of infidelity, you're having a hard time understanding why someone might not be comfortable with their significant other checking other people out.
Well as I understood it he was only looking, I mean, like going out on the town you're bound to look at people, I might have misunderstood and that he did it in a special way but when I go out I look at other people, girls included, and that in itself is nothing bad. I wouldn't be mad if a future girlfriend would just look at other men, of course if she keeps talking about a particular one of course I'd be suspicious. I dunno, perhaps I'm not really thinking in a logical way right now anyway.
Crazycat690 said:
Sorry that you have been treated badly but I have pretty much been bashed around by every man I've been close to including my Dad. I still don't think every guy is violent. Get your snakebite seen too it sounds nasty.
Wow, that sounds rough, I assume that you mean physical violence when you say "bash"? Don't misunderstand me now, of course that also leaves mental scars as well but physical pain is alot easier to get over compared to the pain when you're betrayed by people you thought you could trust. I mean no disrespect in this because I do feel sympathy for anyone who's being mistreated but if you're constantly being abused, you kinda expect it, I got a personal another personal example of this if you don't mind...

I was really bullied in school at a younger age, not by normal bullies either it was that the entire town was more or less in a christian cult, and everyone not in that cult was declared enemies... So basically I was bullied by everyone in with that religion, other than turning me off to religious beliefs it didn't really affect me much, while the mental scars from betrayal may never heal.

Ach again with the wall of text, still, my point is not that I think every girl I meet is a backstabbing *****, my problem is that since I don't know who is, I can't trust anyone (well there are some I trust, one on this site in particular actually, but it took a long time). And about the snake bite, since I live in Finland we don't have that poisonous snakes, and it happened a few days ago which means that since I'm not dead by now I'll probably make it since I can't then be allergic ^^

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Why don't you watch Moviebobs video Gender Games he pretty much explains what is wrong with female characters in it.

The problem isn't that the characters don't wear any clothes. (Although why the hell would you try and fight in those...) It's the fact that the way a female character is presented is in a sexual way 99% of the time. Male characters can be anything. Vladof selling you guns in Borderlands for example but a female character is nearly always looks first, character second and that's a problem. I think someone asked a dev of a space marine type game if there was going to be female characters and his response was 'But how would we make them look sexy' That is pretty much the exact approach most devs take to the women in their games.

As for the princess rescuing it's annoying because the princess is presented as a reward for killing the badguy or defeating the threat unlike the Tomb Raider example where the dude simply has some info for you the woman is offered like the treasure at the end of the rainbow.

In a game like command and conquer why make any assumptions about the protagonist. They could be anything. But no they have to shove it in your face that your are male from the offset. You are right in that it is bad game design. So what can we do to improve that? I know we can make a series of videos pointing out what the stupid tropes are and call on video game writers to smarten up.
Couldn't you summarise your opinion that you have gleaned from Moviebob?

Women characters can be anything as well, here is a list of examples of female characters in video games which would even please adherents of Sharia Law:
-Alyx Vance (Half Life 2 games + episodes)
-Chell (Portal)
-Rochelle (left 4 dead 2)
-Zoey (left 4 Dead)
-Mona Sax (Max Payne + Max Payne 2)
-Jade (beyond Good and Evil)
-Lara Croft (tomb Raider (that is NOT including proportional material that is made by advertisers outside of the games and about admissible as fan-art))

And a list of male characters showing off their sexy bod:
-Batman (arkham asylum, Arkham city)
-Solid Snake (in MGS2, and even DAT ASS in MGS4)
-Raiden (again, MGS2 and MGS4)
-Dante (Devil May Cry)
-Tidus (Final Fantasy X)

mmmmm... oh Tidus... you can play Blitzball with me any time...

ahem, back to the topic at hand. Point is, this is no hard and fast rule, you are cherry picking evidence that suits your prejudice.

Look, video games are a visual medium, looks are ALWAYS going to come first. The problem is if you only think Lara Croft is a pair of breasts, that is your own prejudice and convenient incredulity, I suggest you play the games like I have and you'll see she is no bimbo, she's a col blooded killer and supremely confident, vaguely flirtatious but never slutty. She'll offer a hand for you to kill only to break your nose.

"As for the princess rescuing it's annoying because the princess is presented as a reward for killing the badguy"

Yeah, saving people is a reward... they don't get to KEEP them like they own them. How is the hell do you get "ownership" from "rescue". If you rescue the President from terrorists, that doesn't mean you know own the president, the reward is that the president gets to continue his political duties, same with a king or princess.

"In a game like command and conquer why make any assumptions about the protagonist. "

Because that is what the writer does. It IS his or her game, they can write the protagonist to be whoever they like, you have no more right to object to him being a man married to a woman than to object to it being a man married to a man or a woman married to a woman. Respect the auteur, that's the story they want to tell. Laugh at the hackneyed writing and bad acting all you want, but how can you object to him even DARING to go there of having a .

YOU are not "the male", the protagonist is, and you are role playing him. If you don't want to role play as a male then that is your own prejudice, you wouldn't think much of someone who refused to play Portal because they had to role play as the protagonist who is a woman. Would you?

This isn't a stupid trope. The protagonist is very reasonably a particular gender, why a problem with a man rather than a woman? Why not complain it isn't a genderless robot? How is it a "trope" that a protagonist has a defined gender? This is ridiculous.

What is the actual problem with the protagonist of any work of media being any particular gender?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Kahunaburger said:
Treblaine said:
Kahunaburger said:
Yeah, and Valve ciphers are good protagonists. There's no particular reason they're only allowed to be men.
I'm just saying there isn't a character there to critique on.
Well, that's not quite accurate either. Gordan Freeman and Chell are in fact characters - they're just characters that happen to be ciphers. It's okay for a character to be a cipher.

And if that's a practical solution (to segregate men and women on public transport), It's likely Japan will adopt it as well. I think their primary concern is to prevent sexual assault, not to validate the folks over in the Anglophonic world who are rustling their jimmies over an old Feminist Frequency video.

Nope. If you say setting aside subway cars to help defend women from sexual assault is "apartheid" you are appropriating. If you say it's "segregation" in the same breath, you are also very clearly appropriating "segregation" as well. I appreciate you dropping the use of "apartheid," but you should also drop the use of the term "segregation."
Really? Describe Gordon Freeman's character without stating what he does or who he is? Also, you can only go by what is depicted in the games, not what is in related media which Valve has stated is not canon. Both Chell and Freeman are Ciphers, this is a great storytelling technique BECAUSE OF their lack of character. The story of these games DO NOT stand on the characterisation of the protagonist.

How is it practical to order people what carriages they can an cannot use in overcrowding? Are you saying it isn't a problem that Black people be forced to sit at the back of the bus in segregationist Deep South?

I reaffirmed the use of the term "segregation" which IS accurate and not "appropriation". You are resorting to petty semantic arguments and refusing to address what is fundamentally wrong with segregating populations.

I will not drop the use of the term "segregation" as you have yet to give a reason to. I have given you a reason why I use it and are trying to dodge the issue that it raises.

BRex21

Sep 24, 2010
Denamic said:
As for the train thing I agree with her there. The problem with groping is of epidemic proportions and as a woman I would rather been in a relatively safer environment than just trust that these twisted guys are going to behave themselves.
This is though, that is the exact opposite of what feminism is about.
Sexual harassment is bad and should be rooted out, I agree, but having train cars specifically for women is the definition of sexism. Discrimination in favour of women is still discrimination. It also sends the message that men are sexual predators and cannot be trusted, which is often true but in most cases not, and that women has to be protected. Women may be safe in said cars, but I don't think the damage it would do on the whole is worth it. Imagine putting all black people in their own train cars so they wouldn't have to suffer racism from other people.

I can't give any good solution to this problem in place of this, but that does not make a female only train car a good idea.
While i agree with you to a degree I think its important to have female (and male) safe space. My issue with female only X is that it usually does not provide any male equivalent. Protection for females against sexual assault is good, protection of ONLY females against sexual assault is the problem. This is particularly evident in how we get bent out of shape about the attempted rape nonquote a developer made about Tomb Raider but find it comedy when a man is forced to apologize to his significant other for actually being raped. Sadly it is very indicative of our society as a whole.
I'm also a firm believer that a lack of male safe space in society is why so many young men are upset that women are entering their videogames as there are virtually no places they can go anymore to be with "just the guys".

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Trilligan said:
Treblaine said:
I am fed up to my back teeth of people who want to enforce the worst restrictions of Sharia Law on the likes of Lara Croft
This right here - this is the point where I concluded that there was no point in reasonable discourse. Because honestly, what in the hell are you even talking about?

I do my best to be understanding and to come at an issue with an open mind, taking both sides into account, but this is just so off the wall that I can't even imagine the headspace whence it came.
Your argument is argument from incredulity. You have not demonstrated why it is wrong, you jsut claim you don't understand. That's a fallacy. YOU have copped out of reasonable discourse. You are no different from "this Darwin guy claims we evolved from monkeys, this is why I know there is nothing more to discuss".

The objections to Lara Croft to not address her character, they make snap superficial judgements on her showing her body. She does not "act like a slut" or anything like that, she just refuses to cover up unless she has to. I have lived in countries under sharia law and had to button my mouth as people in power there rant and make the exact same denigrating assumptions of women who wear short shorts as people make about Lara Croft. They even attack those who ALLOW the women to wear such things.

Tell me a criticism of Lara Croft that doesn't immediately obsess over her breasts? Because that's all I hear and they seem to think that's enough.

I have plenty: like her almost psychopathic murderous nature, her lack of close friends or meaningful relationships, her tendency to make enemies over conciliation and her obsession with inanimate trinkets above human life.

But you don't hear that, you just hear about her breasts.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
BRex21 said:
you are arguing a point that you made up
Once again, if you are interested in an argument, I'd advise you to pick a more subjective topic. If, on the other hand, you want to discuss the articles you linked, by all means go ahead (after you've read them, or at least the Wood & Eagly one.)

BRex21 said:
Kahunaburger said:
What im asking is that you behave like a rational human being, not a toddler. You think i should be able to find a study you are referencing with an incorrect title and
I still have no clue what you're asking about. I can do my best to help, but you'll have to be more specific.

BRex21 said:
accusing me of not being serious because i didn't take the time to research all the papers in paleontology anthropology the last 30 years to find the one that you are referring.
Well, the one I'm currently most interested in discussing is the Wood & Eagly paper you linked. Is that the one you are wondering about?

BRex21 said:
What im asking is for you to at the very least be willing to hold yourself to just a tiny fraction of the standard that you expect other people to behave to.
Well, I read studies before I draw conclusions from them, and expect others to do the same. Other than that, I'm not quite sure what you're referring to here, either.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Treblaine said:
Really? Describe Gordon Freeman's character without stating what he does or who he is?
Gordon Freeman is a man of few words :D

(You're confusing a character with a character with a defined personality. Many of the most iconic characters in video games are ciphers, Gordon Freeman and Chell included.)

And if you want to convince me that your continued use of the term "segregation" is not appropriation, you're going to have to do a little better than this:

Treblaine said:
How is it practical to order people what carriages they can an cannot use in overcrowding? Are you saying it isn't a problem that Black people be forced to sit at the back of the bus in segregationist Deep South?
Japan is trying to create a safe space for women so they can ride the subway without getting sexually assaulted. It's analogous to a restroom or a locker room. It's not remotely analogous to America's Jim Crow South.

LHZA

Sep 22, 2010
PercyBoleyn said:
I do not understand why blogs like the Escapist and Kotaku paint Anita as some sort of angel sent to us by the mighty Gods of heaven to deliver us from our sexist existence whilst purposefully misrepresenting her critics. You people call yourselves journalists, please act like ones.
I don't see how they're doing so at all, they have just commented on how the response against her kickstarter program has been less than civil. I'm personally not a fan, I find she sometimes presents evidence for her argument out of context and she's a bit too reactionary for my taste but the people who have posted threats and this flash game have garnered nothing but my utmost sympathy for her. Disagree with her, fine, but there's a better way of doing so that will not have the opposite affect of what was intended (it's said the negative responses are one of the main reason her kickstarter donations outstripped her initial goal).

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Trilligan said:
Okay, first I think you need to understand that the following:

Jade from Beyond Good and Evil, April Ryan from the Longest Journey, Zoë Castillo from Dreamfall, Alyx Vance from Half-life 2, Terra from FF6, Marle and Lucca and Ayla from Chrono Trigger are strong female characters in a way that Bayonetta and Catwoman and the earlier versions of Lara Croft aren't. They are strong female characters that required no sexualization at all in order to be awesome (and they were all pretty awesome). Note, as well, that Ayla went around in a fur bikini all the time, yet somehow still avoided pandering.

Now, sexualization is not a bad thing. But pandering is. And the Bayonetta ad campaign was pandering. Lara Croft's impossible breasts were pandering. Catwoman's constant zipper malfunctions are pandering. And for a girl looking at all of this, the message is really clear - females exist to be oogled. Whatever strengths these characters have, they are all secondary to the fact that these characters are there to be stared at. But being able to stare at a character's breasts or ass adds nothing of real merit to the character. Putting a majority of the focus on a character's breasts or ass sells everything else about that character short. And that is the issue. Because this sexualization does not exist to benefit the character in any way. It exploits the character to benefit the observer.

Now, Bayonetta using her sexuality in combat (which is a bizarre concept when you think about it, even removed from the larger issue) may well be a form of empowerment, and as I said elsewhere there is a case for Bayonetta as a sex-positive role model. But an ad campaign about collectively undressing her doesn't play to her empowerment. She's not undressing herself, she is being undressed. She has no power, she is merely an object to be drooled over.

A brief aside: Sarkeesian's issue was that putting that kind of ad in an environment that has a reputation for cultivating deviancy could - shock! - cultivate deviancy. She never said that Bayonetta was directly responsible for sexual assault, in spite of what you inferred - she simply questioned the intelligence of putting that message in that environment.

There is never any danger in creating a strong female protagonist that is not overtly sexualized. There is very little danger in creating a strong and sexual female protagonist whose existence is not purely as a pre-teen masturbatory aid. There is, however, quite a bit of danger in creating a hypersexualized caricature of a woman - Moonlight's example of the "pole with two watermelons on" - and pretending that such is somehow a 'strong' female character. That kind of characterization is the kind you find in Joe Eszterhas movies; it is terrible and it is sexist, and we're better than that.
"They are strong female characters that required no sexualization at all in order to be awesome"

Why do you hold Sexualisation AGAINST a character being strong?

Bayonetta was never submissive sexually, she was never a "Bond Girl" who just put out and became useless. You are not making an argument you are making an assertion that entirely depends on a Sex-negative prejudice towards women, that women being sexual inherently weakens them.

Bayonetta ad campaign is made by an outside agency. Are we looking at games or are we looking at desperate things publishers do to get attention. We ARE looking at the games, go outside the medium to what fans thing, or fan fiction or hate mail and you have gone completley off topic. LOOK AT THE ACTUAL GAMES!!!

"Lara Croft's impossible breasts were pandering"

No more than Duke Nukem's impossible muscles. And they aren't "impossible" but quite within normal range. And what is this obsession with Lara's breast? You can't even see her cleavage.

http://tombraiders.net/stella/images/savegame/sg_skeleton.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k5/LouMooLaraPics/TR3/tr32.jpg

You see women dressed like this (minus the guns) EVERY DAY! Unless you live in a country that enforces Shari Law.

"females exist to be oogled"

If there is a problem with women in advertising then why do women buy magazines FULL literally from cover to cover of women to be looked at? Video games are a visual medium, you are going to look at characters, male or female. That is a complete leap in logic as you see these female character DOING FAR MORE than just look pretty, they are the protagonists who totally change and DRIVE the outcome of the story.

YOU are the one obsessing over their breast and ass, you just don't seem to care about anything else about the characters but how they look, ignoring all their contribution to the plot. What do you think of women... that if they show their body then everyone is incapable of thinking about anything else. No, the focus with Lara has always been about her guns, she was a woman who with absolutely no fear, trepidation or uncertainty wielded guns and weapons with such supreme confidence like never seen in ANY mainstream media before - that I can find. It was not case of "gee, I guess I'll hold this gun" it was like they were natural extensions of her body like she didn't even have to think about wielding them. THAT is power.

As to a Bayonetta ad in a Subway where sexual assault might occur, let me remind you that Japan has one of the lowest crime rates and one of the lowest rapes per capita in the world, so if it's not allowed there it is not allowed ANYWHERE. And how BLOODY HOW can there be any link between an image of a woman looking sultry and getting a cheeky peek at her bottom, with the disturbing unwanted groping of a random stranger?

There is no link. What would the pervert say to the judge:

"I thought is was acceptable to manhandle and grope that woman to spite her distressed protests... because I took a card off a sign and saw a bit of bum"

The judge would give him the maximum sentence at such a pathetic and irrelevant excuse and attribute ZERO BLAME on the advert.

IN NO WAY does the advert endorse unwanted sexual assault. There is NO RATIONAL LINK between removing a card to show an image of a bum and the disturbing unwanted molestation of a fellow traveller.

PS: I have never heard of Joe Eszterhas or any of his movies and BTW, both males and female of all ages use google to get masturbation material, they don't buy a $60 game and contort camera angles to get a side on view of a woman in a tank top and cargo pants. It's ridiculous to imply anyone would.

I am fed up. The people denigrating the likes of Lara Croft clearly haven't played any significant amount of her games (least not without a huge conformational bias) and jsut made a snap judgement based on her appearance. That is wrong. And you know it.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Trilligan said:
Treblaine said:
OK, that is a plausible explanation... but so it is also plausible that she approves of segregation IN GENERAL as a solution of a minority of criminal assault. Never the less, she still supported this as a solution. It is very hard to excuse.

Japan actually has one of the lowest rape per capita in the world, lower than Canada:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_rap_percap-crime-rapes-per-capita

Lower than strictly conservative countries like Morocco that ban all pornography and forbid women showing their body.
I don't think it is plausible that she endorses segregating the genders. Her support of Women Only subway cars doesn't extend to women only restaurants or whatever, and there's no indication anywhere that it does.

And whatever you think of Japan's policy, lawmakers in Japan decided it was enough of a problem to act upon it. Also note that the issue they meant to address is groping (i.e. molestation) but you're quoting statistics for rape, which is not the same. Yes, I mentioned subway rape - but as a fetish, not as a crime epidemic; it is something which you see in hentai, which probably adds to instances of groping but doesn't necessarily lead to actual rape.

In any case, her support of this specific solution to this specific problem is not an indication of anything other than her support of this specific solution to this specific problem. Slippery slopes are dangerous, because when conclusions start to cascade together it becomes very hard to distinguish reasonable reactions from unreasonable ones.
Well you say it isn't plausible she thinks that, I have demonstrated (and she has to) that she does think that.

The point is she thinks segregation is a solution to the specific crime of sexual assault rather than law enforcement, which is I have discovered today since my last post that this was precisely the justification the Klu Klux Klan used for segregation in Antebellum South:

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2702414?uid=3738032&uid=2&uid=4&sid=21100904154461

"And whatever you think of Japan's policy, lawmakers in Japan decided it was enough of a problem to act upon it."

Fallacy of Argument from Authority. Australian government thought any game not suitable for those under 15 wasn't suitable for ANYONE, that is not an argument.

I think it's safe to conclude rape and groping are closely related. Such statistics are not easy to classify as such a crime can be prosecuted under many different ways from assault to sexual harassment. Do you have an actual source on groping incidences in Japan? Please correct for whether the offender is male or female and if the victim is male or female.

She offers no caveat or limitations, she makes clear that if a women is sexually assaulted in a train carriage, then there must be a train carriage without men. She demonstrates amazingly breathless ignorance and myopia of civil rights issues, she just jumps to her self-serving her prejudice. She has not redacted nor clarified this, she has just hidden her embarrassing opinion an refused to address any criticism of it to spite her clearly sifting through feedback to look for troll comments that she can use as her straw man.

EDIT: Also, the Clearing the Eye directly below makes another good point about unreported statistics.

Clearing the Eye said:
Japan has a lower number of reported sexual assaults. Don't confuse number of actual attacks with the number of those reported.
There are no reported leprechauns either, we have to go by what is reported and even the reported rates are over TWENTY TIMES lower than the united states. Statistics from the United Nations:

http://www.unodc.org/documents/data-and-analysis/Crime-statistics/Sexual_violence_sv_against_children_and_rape.xls

And under-reporting applies everywhere, what if US equally has unreported rates. All evidence points to far lower rape per capita in Japan.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
Knight Templar said:
I don't really agree with specific arguments she makes, but this is fucking disgusting. Questions of her being right or wrong, pointless or not, are irrelevant.
This is simply not OK.
No matter if she's the most ignorant fool in the universe or a divine saviour here to solve gamings woes, this cannot be accepted.

80Maxwell08 said:
Instig8iveJournalism?

If you feel a video is necessary to make your point you need to find a better one, because anything coming from somebody so attached to 4chan (/v/ to be more precise) and trolling will only undermine your point.
What's wrong with opinions from 4chan? Are your opinions inherently better than theirs?

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
hey guys

bastion is sexist!!!!!!!!

i had no idea when i was first playing it that it was such a sexist, misogynistic piece of shit. i now realize what's right and wrong. and i understand that racist games such as bastion and gravity rush should be destroyed

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Buretsu said:
Kahunaburger said:
Treblaine said:
Japan is trying to create a safe space for women so they can ride the subway without getting sexually assaulted. It's analogous to a restroom or a locker room. It's not remotely analogous to America's Jim Crow South.
As long as the car for the men is separate, but equal, it's perfectly fine.
Ahahahahaha what.

ITT: people not from Japan T.Ting about how Japan's preliminary steps towards a safer commute are unfair to the poor mens.