Florida Bill Passes House, Allows Genital Inspection for Schools

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
If you want to play sports, yes. It's basically just a checkup to ensure you're not going to drop dead on the field or court for unknown reasons. Medical confidentiality just means the school/organization can't force your doctor to give them protected health information; they can certainly say "if you don't give it to us, you can't participate in this optional activity" though.

The cynic is me says that a large part of requiring them is to lower insurance payments for the school/org.

America sounds really fucked up

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Does anyone debating in this thread actually have daughters, let alone children?
I want to make a Scott Morrison comment, but few forum members are Australian and so most won't know what I'm talking about.

Anyhoo, a number of people posting actually are someone's daughter, and so are the sort of person this is supposedly trying to protect.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Not exactly sure what kind of sports physicals you got as a child, but genital inspections were not a regular part of mine....
a) There are no genital inspections in this bill. Critics made that term up.
b) The doctor can make their determination by multiple independent criteria, not only genitals.
c) Have you never experienced a hernia check?
Does America force doctors physicals onto kids?

Does America not have medical confidentiality?
Yes, you can't do sports without a physical. We don't want kids with undiagnosed issues getting seriously hurt.

Yes, we have medical confidentiality, but schools need to know serious ailments, allergies, etc, or they can't do anything if the child has a medical emergency in their care.
America sounds really fucked up
Of the reasons someone might say bad things about America, I did not expect to find "monitors the health of children".

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Hrmmm....

CS/HB 1475: Sex-specific Student Athletic Teams or Sports said:
(c) A dispute regarding a student's sex shall be resolved by the student's school or institution by requesting that the student provide a health examination and consent form or other statement signed by the student's personal health care provider which must verify the student's biological sex. The health care provider may verify the student's biological sex as part of a routine sports physical examination by relying only on one or more of the following: 1. The student's reproductive anatomy;
So, the bill does potentially require the kids' healthcare providers to check their genitals and sign off a letter to verify their biological sex before they can take part in the sport. If there's a "dispute", that is indeed one of the criteria that can be verified.

b) The doctor can make their determination by multiple independent criteria, not only genitals.
Uh-huh, but genitals are one of the criteria.

c) Have you never experienced a hernia check?
As a child to get into sports day? No.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Hrmmm....
This is pretty low effort, even for you. You underlined only the "physical examination" part of "routine sports physical examination". They're literally doing nothing new other than potentially asking the doctor for information based on the already performed examination. The answer to the question "how do we know who has female biology" is "a doctor already did a physical, we don't need anything beyond that."

As a child to get into sports day? No.
Who said "sports day"? This bill is specifically about "Interscholastic, intercollegiate, intramural, or club athletic teams or sports". The bill only applies to organized, competitive sports.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
So how do you reckon they assess the "the student's reproductive anatomy" during a "physical examination"? X-ray? MRI? Tarot cards? Educated guess?

The cynic is me says that a large part of requiring them is to lower insurance payments for the school/org.
I absolutely bet you it's about liabilities and insurance, because in a particularly litigious culture people will sue over anything and everything. So if one's child has a congential heart defect and collapses dead after running around a bit, what should just be a tragedy becomes a tragedy and an expensive court case.

In a sense, I wouldn't mind so much (indeed, there are lots of positives checking whether children are healthy), except that if the state / school / organisation is going to mandate these checkups, I think they should be obliged to pay for them, too.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
So how do you reckon they assess the "the student's reproductive anatomy" during a "physical examination"? X-ray? MRI? Tarot cards? Educated guess?
You've never heard of a hernia check?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Of the reasons someone might say bad things about America, I did not expect to find "monitors the health of children".
I thought there was a big anti-vax movement that hated governments monitoring the health of children

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I presume you mean an inguinal hernia, as there are several types of hernia. More to the point, is not clear to me what you think you are answering here.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
This is pretty low effort, even for you.
Love you, too.

You underlined only the "physical examination" part of "routine sports physical examination". They're literally doing nothing new other than potentially asking the doctor for information based on the already performed examination. The answer to the question "how do we know who has female biology" is "a doctor already did a physical, we don't need anything beyond that."
Think about it. An "already performed examination"-- do you think most kids have already had physical examinations of their "reproductive anatomy" by their present doctor? They may have had one as a newborn, perhaps, so if they've had the same doctor for the last ten years, I guess. Otherwise?

Otherwise, no, it's not an already performed examination.

The bill includes a requirement for a doctor to sign off on a kid's biological sex if there's a dispute, with several possible metrics, one of which is checking their genitals. So, yes, "allows genital inspection" is an accurate description. Checking the genitals would never be required before this, and now it can be in some circumstances. Everything else is technical gymnastics in an attempt to convince us that the bill doesn't say what it says.

Reactions: Buyetyen

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
When the old doc did the hernia check when I was in school, he did 100 other kids too and did not, in fact, check my genitals and record them in any form. If my gender ever came into dispute, I'm 99% certain that's a thing he wouldn't remember off the top of his head.

Any way you slice it, this does involve recording new information about kids genitals with the sole intention of supplying that information to schools and "concerned" parents on demand, medical confidentiality be damned, and then having it redone by the sort of asshole Karen who'd rather believe that the school is lying instead of the fact that her precious Becky just got blown out, all to solve a problem that doesn't exist in the first place and is motivated entirely by bigoted politics.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I thought there was a big anti-vax movement that hated governments monitoring the health of children
The anti-vax movement is not a particularly small government movement. If you associate anti-vax specifically with American conservatives, you're pretty off the mark.
Love you, too.
Well, there's your first mistake.
Think about it. An "already performed examination"-- do you think most kids have already had physical examinations of their "reproductive anatomy" by their present doctor?
Yes. Especially since the center of the controversy is girls old enough to see a gynecologist.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Yes. Especially since the center of the controversy is girls old enough to see a gynecologist.
Is the situation drastically different in the US, then? Here in the UK, most people change their general practitioner numerous times, when they move etc. My doctor at school age wasn't the same one I had when I was a baby.

And the person who would deliver you as a child would be very unlikely to be your GP in life, even at a young age.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The anti-vax movement is not a particularly small government movement. If you associate anti-vax specifically with American conservatives, you're pretty off the mark.
I'm pretty sure I just was referring to government monitoring of children's health. Not really anything to do with small government. I'm very sure I didn't bring up conservatives at all

Yes you're right. Anti-vaxxers are proof that trying to pile people into conservative and progressive boxes is an utterly stupid concept that doesn't match reality

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Is the situation drastically different in the US, then? Here in the UK, most people change their general practitioner numerous times, when they move etc. My doctor at school age wasn't the same one I had when I was a baby.

And the person who would deliver you as a child would be very unlikely to be your GP in life, even at a young age.
The situation is drastically different, but not in a better way. Most sports checkups are done by a random doctor or nurse practitioner brought in by the school itself and they line up everybody who doesn't already have a doctor's note in the locker room or gym. The whole hernia check thing is just a holdover from the ancient times when fondling a child's balls and pressing in on their inner thigh was actually the best way to check for a hernia, while these days it turns out that, shocker, it's not a terribly reliable detection method *and* is checking for a condition that's not actually a big deal.

Hell, they don't even check girls for hernias or do any kind of vaginal genital checks for sports physicals in the first place anyway, so tstorm is just...very wrong in lots of ways.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The situation is drastically different, but not in a better way.

Hell, they don't even check girls for hernias or do any kind of vaginal genital checks for sports physicals in the first place, so tstorm is just...very wrong in lots of ways.
Just reading the PPE, it sounds like it all clothes on examination.

And, I would not even know who my first doctor is. I don't even have the same doctor I had 3 years ago. But I do think there is a state run collation of medical data that you can opt into. I have never had to mandatorily state my kids medical conditions. Its the parents responsibility to detail medical history to the appropriate organization