Florida Man Killed for His Magic Cards

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Jamiethejedi said:
So the twins knew him and played with him? How can you meet and play with a person and pretend to be their friend whist you secretly plot to murder them? They must have had some fucked up lives. Dicks
Outside of warfare, most killing is done between people who know each other.

You're many times more likely to be killed by a friend or family member than by a stranger.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Arcane Azmadi said:
Christ, I remember when a Black Lotus was worth less than $350! Has inflation set in or what?

Why is only one of them being charged with murder?
Inflation, more players with desire for an increasingly small pool of cards.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
(Face palm) Well now I've heard everything... man, crazy fans ruin it for everyone...

Shadowsetzer

Jul 15, 2010
Is it sad that the only thing in that article that surprised me was the card with Evangelion Unit 02 in the opening picture?

Seriously, it's a shame this happened, but murders happen all too often, and for all kinds of reasons. Regardless, here's hoping the family and friends get some closure.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
katsabas said:
I have no words. I just hope Avacyn comes down, takes her Silvermoon Spear and shoves it up the twins' a-holes.

They print money every day. This guy was a limited edition. My heart goes to the parents. Being dedicated enough to have a fucking Black Lotus, Sean must have been a blast to hang out with.
I don't know about his real circle of friends, but around the shop when he came to Tallahassee he was pretty fun. Though as I said before his decks were usually built to irritate you more than to win. The sad part is, he would loan cards to people he knew if the needed something for their deck and these douche bags took his life for his cards... I hope they get anally violated in prison

Jamiethejedi said:
So the twins knew him and played with him? How can you meet and play with a person and pretend to be their friend whist you secretly plot to murder them? They must have had some fucked up lives. Dicks
Yeah, well like I said I didn't know him very well, but they have to be pretty cold. From what I saw of him he was a fairly nice guy. I would like to get some more details on how it went down.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
As many others have said - the link to Magic is simply that the victim had something valuable and easily transported that some people of a particularly ruthless vein wanted. I don't think the author is suggesting the death was as a result of M:tG at all, however, because that would be like saying the man who was DUI crashed because the song on the radio distracted him with its evil evil bass line.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Ugh... This really is sad but I hope people don't blame this on Magic Cards because it's pretty obvious that they didn't kill him so that they could be the "best players evar". They killed for the money. At least I'm assuming this because if it's the former, that is just really pathetic.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
It's quite absurd to be killed over cardboard.
Perhaps what is equally absurd is why those cards have such extraordinary value in the first place.

And this is coming from a guy who played Alpha.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
What a senseless death. Why is it that the nice guys have such things happen to them, but the dirt people of the world run rampant?

Stu35 said:
Well, that lad is in heaven now. Sexually servicing a suicide bomber.
That is not funny, and isn't called for. What made you think that second part was appropriate?

Bad form I say, bad form.

Ryan Minns

Mar 29, 2011
I feel bad that my first thought when I read "Man killed for his magic cards" was "Ah, must be playing a blue deck!"

Seriously though it's sad whens shit like this happens.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Greg Tito said:
While this is certainly a tragedy, I really hope this news doesn't degrade into painting Magic as a deviant influence on our youth. In any pastime, there will be people who do bad things. That doesn't mean the activity itself is the cause.
I don't think you have to worry about it, we can point to the figure of "$100,000" as a pretty effective counterargument.

OT: This is sad. Why has human life gotten so cheap?

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
MonkeyPunch said:
Isn't money pretty much the same size and build as these cards? How is it any better or different to kill over a wad of 1000 $100 bills, right?

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
OK, that title is a little misleading. He wasn't just killed for some Magic cards, he was killed for 100,000 damn dollars worth of Magic cards.

Which isn't, you know, good, but it's better then what the title makes it sound like.

TyrunnAlberyn

Apr 1, 2010
katsabas said:
I have no words. I just hope Avacyn comes down, takes her Silvermoon Spear and shoves it up the twins' a-holes.

They print money every day. This guy was a limited edition. My heart goes to the parents. Being dedicated enough to have a fucking Black Lotus, Sean must have been a blast to hang out with.
I can't be the only one who'd rather see these guys dealt with by the likes of... say, Rakdos. He seems like the type who'd go for an eternal suffering in his hellish carnival deal.

Getting killed for your money or property is always a sad matter. In this case, it indeed does not matter that it was Magic cards given the high value of the total collection, but it's still a sad, sad thing to lose your life over.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
It's unfortunate that the M:tG community is going to be pulled into negative media attention, with people claiming that magic players are violent.

To me, this has nothing to do with the game, and community. More than likely this is just 2 guys who don't play trying to make a quick buck on valuable stolen cards.