"For privacy, Origin is the same as Steam" WRONG!!! -Updated

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Jimmybobjr said:
Lets say EA takes your hardware specs. Then EA uses this information to better refine and update games. Better games right? Isnt that the point?

Worst case scenario is that EA sells this information. What, exactly, is -anyone- going to do with this information? Like seriously.

Someone, please, tell me what the WORST CASE SCENARIO could possibly be if EA found out my Hardware and Software data?
it,s a matter of principles Steam asks before they check your specs Origin does not.
OT
I just don,t like somebody rooting around in my PC without permission look I have nothing to hide it just makes me feel uncomfortable.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Razada said:
Miroku2235 said:
My Escapist profile is blank because I only made one out of necessity in order to post the very rare reply and whatnot.

United States
Miroku2235 for both Steam and Facebook, seeing a pattern?
Same as well for Aim, MSN, Yahoo, Trillian.

I got nothing to hide.
So.

You do not want to hide that you are a single agnostic man? You are all alone in this world. You write poetry. You are on at least 5 dating sites.

An example of this.

Would it be so easy to forget you
and the short time we shared.
The long talks till dawn
and of the loss of sleep we didn't care.
Though the distance was grand
cellphones helped bridge the gap.
Oh what obstacles I would face
if only I could win you back.
But I know I have lost you
and am willing to admit defeat.
And it's true parting is sorrow
but I've found it's none too sweet.

Your top three artists are "Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, TraptGet"

You are 24 years old.

One last point before I probably get banned.

"I've reached my limit. I simply cannot take any more of this shit. My ex, whom I still harbor feelings for, just has to rub it in my face that her current boyfriend "adores her" and is "perfect for her". Fuck you *****, I wanted to be your "special someone" but when I said I wasn't ready for a picket fence and kids at the age of 20, that wasn't ok with you. It's 4:30 AM and instead of sleeping I can't get my brain to shut the hell up for two seconds. Instead I keep thinking about some of the women I'm talking to, what to do about my unemployment situation, how to find time to freaking live my life. It truly is nights like these that make me wish I could wind back the clock and change things, or perhaps, stop the clock altogether."

You know what mate?

Privacy matters. Do not post what you think is innocuous information online. it is fucking dangerous and fucking stupid.

Have I made you realise that privacy matters? If so, Please respond by not banning me. Pretty sure what I just did toed the line.

Was all of that stuff you are totally ok being announced here on the escapist?

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/miroku2235/
http://www.okcupid.com/profile/Miroku2235/journal
http://www.datehookup.com/PostsBy-107783951-miroku2235.htm
http://allpoetry.com/poem/4620747-Lonely_Voyage-by-Miroku2235
https://twitter.com/#!/Miroku2235
https://twitter.com/#!/Miroku2235
http://www.furspace.com/Miroku2235 (Matching picture with OK cupid, this is still the same guy)
http://rude.com/Miroku2235/profile/
Oh, and you read erotica on liteerotica.com

My point?

Privacy matters a lot. Especially for someone who is or used to be a furry. That shit is embarassing and can prevent you from getting hired. Not officially, mind. But employers do not like to employ weird people. Oh, and you are unemployed right now. Having your entire personal history up on the internet doesn't help.

Maybe you should not post your username that you use for everything on the internet mate.

EDIT:
Tubez said:
Miroku2235 said:
My Escapist profile is blank because I only made one out of necessity in order to post the very rare reply and whatnot.

United States

I got nothing to hide.
Since you have nothing to hide...
*SNIP*
There are a few examples of things he probably should be hiding.

holly shit this is why you should always come up with a new name when you register at erotically tinted sites.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
ph0b0s123 said:
It would be snap if I had said the EULA's or policy's were different.
A shame they don't have to be.

I didn't I said the practicalities of the data collection were different.
*cough*

"For privacy, Origin is the same as Steam" WRONG!!!
Well, for privacy, it is the same as Steam. As per the privacy policy.

With Steam asking if they can take the details of your hardware and software, whereas Origin does not ask. Don't get why this is so tricky for people to understand.
Partially because it's untrue. Valve defines personally identifiable information in a different way from you, and it's only selectively optional.

Not only that, but you appear to be complaining about the older version of the Origin Eula which has been amended. Origin's EULA is actually more forthcoming than the carefully worded and ambiguous policy that allows you to cleave to the notion that Steam isn't doing the same (which they may or may not be, but they're totally covered).
You still aren't getting it. Both Steam and Origin have very similar 'boiler plate' Privacy policies and EULA's. What is different is how they implement these policy's in their respective software's. That's the point. They behave differently, one asks whether you want to share your hardware and software data, the other doesn't. Big difference and with Origin something new. Up until now every other piece of software asks before sharing any data it has rooted out from your system. With this new precedent set and no-one being bothered, I expect may more pieces of software that start rooting around your system to gather data, without your permission or knowledge, to will help with their product / datamine. Welcome to a brave new world....

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Weren't EA being investigated by some European court for violations of privacy law, whatever happened to that?

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
gmaverick019 said:
dogstile said:
Imagine I was looking through your window. I'm not gonna tell anyone else what you do, hell i'll just use it to get to know you better. Is it still ok with me looking through your window?
eh i see what your getting at but i still think it's different, i wouldn't give a fuck if someone wanted to see what kind of shit is in my car or room, but to physically COME to my house and look at it through the window? that's a bit creepy, but if it was just your average "show your rig/room!" stuff, which is comparable to the origin "peeking around", then i don't see what the problem is.

honestly i don't see what the information can be used badly for. hell maybe they find out that shit tons of people use "such and such companies video card!" so they make a deal next time with that company to sell upgraded versions of those cards (such as radeon 6770 to a 6790 or 6850) with a 5 dollar off coupon for EA's next big game. that's a score for me personally.
I don't understand - you wouldn't mind someone going through the stuff in your room, but you do mind if they look through the window? That's a little strange. Also, the "show your rig/desktop" thing? The point that OP was making is that even that is a voluntary thing - it's not as if you read a thread title and the forum steals your system info or screenshots your desktop and posts it online, you decide if you want to post such information, and you choose when and where. Choice is phenomenally important, and Origin holds your freedom to choose hostage with its restrictive games distribution.

On top of that, why the fuck does any corporation think it has the right to casually browse the contents of your computer? I'm not that happy with Steam doing it, but as far as I know they grab steam game useage info and the optional hardware survey. Origin's is wonderfully open - I believe they want to be able to help themselves to your browsing history, at least at one point. Fuck that.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Miroku2235 said:

United States

I got nothing to hide.
So what are your logins for those accounts? I mean, if you've got nothing to hide, you don't mind if random strangers browse through your emails or have a look at your messages on facebook, right? Don't worry, we won't sell the information to anyone [agreement liable to change at any time with 24 hours notice], and what could possibly go wrong with giving complete strangers with unknown and unknowable motives access to systems you use as part of your everyday life?

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
Elate said:
Miroku2235 said:
Personally I think that if someone goes through all the effort to run No-scripts, ad-blocks, javablocks, cookie untrackers, etc etc...then they do have something to hide, even if they claim the opposite. However that is just my opinion so take with a grain of salt.
What kind of stupid is this?

I run ad-blocks because... wait for it.. dramatic pause... I DON'T LIKE ADS! I've never bought anything from any internet ad, I've never found them in any way useful, and they often contain viruses. No scripts, same reason, a lot of dodgy pages contain scripts which try and jack your browser, cookies? Security, so websites can't keep me logged in etc, in case, y'know, my computer got stolen or something? Then anyone would have access to every single one of my accounts, e-mail, bank. Javablocking, same reason as adblock + anti-scripts.
You might want to drastically alter that sentence before The Moderators descend down with the ban-hammer. They don't like ad-blocks.

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
Elate said:
Iron Criterion said:
You might want to drastically alter that sentence before The Moderators descend down with the ban-hammer. They don't like ad-blocks.
To bad? My browser, if they want to ban my account because I don't want crappy ads with extra loading time, then I guess I'll just stop visiting The Escapist, I won't have what plugins I can and cannot have dictated to me.
Okay. I was just giving you some advice is all.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Elate said:
Iron Criterion said:
To bad? My browser, if they want to ban my account because I don't want crappy ads with extra loading time, then I guess I'll just stop visiting The Escapist, I won't have what plugins I can and cannot have dictated to me.
Since I got a warning for this, it's not about having the Adblockers that's a problem it's disclosing it and advocating it. Obviously anyone here who uses them has Escapist in their white-list to help pay for the site. I did not know until the warning, but it's in the forum rules....

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
I like how fast people will sell out their own rights for something they don't really need. I agree with the OP this is setting a dangerous precedent. Just like the Patriot act set a dangerous one. Sure I don't have anything to hide, but does that mean I want some listening in on my phone? Or do I want someone rooting around in my computer without my permission.

Shit, personally I do have some details on my computer that would fuck me socially if they got out. For instance, I am openly gay on this forum and among a few select online friends. But IRL if it was ever discovered that I was gay I would lose my family, my job, my friends...I don't want a program digging up that kind of dirt even if they agree to not sell it.

So just because you can benefit in the short term doesn't mean you should give everyone in the future the opportunity to do so. Or whats that quote everyone is using "Those that would give up freedom for security deserve neither?" something to the effect of "Those that give up there freedom for momentary temporary pleasure deserve none?"

Idk, but I'm a firm believer of voting with my wallet when it comes to corporate policies. For instance I don't buy Dominios pizza because they funnel money into anti-gay organizations, so I go to their competitors like papa johns or pizza hut. I don't like Ubisoft's DRM so I don't buy Ubisoft. I don't like EA's Origin so I don't buy from it.

TL;DR Don't give up your long term rights for short term gains. And voting with your wallet is the responsible consumer thing to do.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
You do know everyone is collecting the same data Origin does, don't you? The browser you are using? Collects and send all the hardware data you have to MS, Google or Apple. Google.com collects and sends all the hardware and navigation data it needs. Facebook? They collect all sorts of interesting data about you, your tastes, your relatives and your pet...

So, stop demonizing EA for collecting statistical and aggregation data about your GeForce or your version of Windows. If you are so concern about your privacy, I advice you to cut the Internet cable right now. Otherwise, I would advice you to live with the idea that you and your PC has little privacy and the best you can hope for is that companies will limit themselves to statistics and won't sell that info to telemarketing channels.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
hermes200 said:
You do know everyone is collecting the same data Origin does, don't you? The browser you are using? Collects and send all the hardware data you have to MS, Google or Apple. Google.com collects and sends all the hardware and navigation data it needs. Facebook? They collect all sorts of interesting data about you, your tastes, your relatives and your pet...

So, stop demonizing EA for collecting statistical and aggregation data about your GeForce or your version of Windows. If you are so concern about your privacy, I advice you to cut the Internet cable right now. Otherwise, I would advice you to live with the idea that you and your PC has little privacy and the best you can hope for is that companies will limit themselves to statistics and won't sell that info to telemarketing channels.
You want to back up your accusations about browsers being the same as Origin in sending your software details to MS without your permission? As I think you are factually wrong. Also I use Firefox where they give you the option of whether you want to share those details or not.

And again with the Facebook, etc, false equivalently. No, Facebook does not root around your system to find out what software you are using. Everything you make public or share with Facebook is optional, you control it.

What Origin does with collecting software data and transmitting it to EA is new.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ph0b0s123 said:
one asks whether you want to share your hardware and software data, the other doesn't.
False, false, FALSE. Both collect data anyway, regardless. Only certain elements are optional, which I JUST SAID.

One asks you and does it anyway, one doesn't ask you and does it anyway. I think the pretense of the former is worse. But hey, paraphrase Aldous Huxley and sound the alarms. Maybe you could violate Godwin's Law, while you're at it. That way we can hit all the major "false alarm" buttons at the same time.

Sandytimeman said:
I agree with the OP this is setting a dangerous precedent. Just like the Patriot act set a dangerous one.
I'm sorry, that precedent has already been set. Not just by Valve corporation, which has a similar policy, but by dozens and dozens of other commonly used EULAs. If that's what you're worried about, that ship has sailed. That genie is out of the bottle. That gun has been fired.

Hell, courts have upheld the "you can't sue us" style of EULA. That's already been forgotten.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Sandytimeman said:
I agree with the OP this is setting a dangerous precedent. Just like the Patriot act set a dangerous one.
I'm sorry, that precedent has already been set. Not just by Valve corporation, which has a similar policy, but by dozens and dozens of other commonly used EULAs. If that's what you're worried about, that ship has sailed. That genie is out of the bottle. That gun has been fired.

Hell, courts have upheld the "you can't sue us" style of EULA. That's already been forgotten.
Last I checked I opted to not share my info with steam and was still enjoying its service. Try that with Origin...oh wait...

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
kasperbbs said:
EA has my system specs? Who the fuck cares? Seriously?
No, they have what software you use, versions, modifications, no-CD patches, how often you use it, anything else they can potentially gather by rooting around. If it was just hardware details it may have not been such a big issue.

You will see people saying that the rooting around seems harmless at the moment, but now the precedent has been set there is nothing to stop them increasing how invasive the rooting around is. That no-CD patch, or game mod your are using on a EA game, EA don't like that, so ban, no more access to your paid for EA games anymore...

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
ph0b0s123 said:
one asks whether you want to share your hardware and software data, the other doesn't.
False, false, FALSE. Both collect data anyway, regardless. Only certain elements are optional, which I JUST SAID.

One asks you and does it anyway, one doesn't ask you and does it anyway. I think the pretense of the former is worse.
-snip-
Prove it, or it's not true.