For the older gamers (10+ years of gaming), what is your GOTD (game of the decade)?

Simon Pettersson

Apr 4, 2010
I don´t know so many good games has come out this last decade ...
I would say either Baldursgate 2, Never Winternights 2 or Dragon Age Origins...

Estocavio

Aug 5, 2009
Im going to name 3, since I feel its perhaps more suitable given the Time Span.
There's still a Number 1 though, so don't fret.

#1; Dwarf Fortress.
#2; Napoleon: Total War.
#3; Dead Island.

I got more Enjoyment, Time, and Overall Satisfaction out of those, than any other Games.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Well I was always very much into video games since I was five... I'd have to say halo 1 or Jak and Daxter. Both heavily impacted my opinion on video games.

imperialreign

Mar 23, 2010
Holy hell . . . I can't exactly pin down one specific title from the last 10 years . . .

If we're going simply from 2000-2010, then I'm stuck between these:

Thief: The Metal Age
Team Fortress 2
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
Black & White / Black & White 2
FEAR
Homeworld 2 (seeing as how the first was released in '99)

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Xartyve2 said:
I've been gaming for over 10 years but I really wouldn't label myself a gamer. I probably played as many games in those 10 years as you did the past 1. Regardless...

Super Mario Galaxy 2. Too soon you say? Maybe, but if you find me something else whose gameplay is as tuned, as smooth and as downright perfect as that game and I'll find you a liar.
yeah, i have been playing for over 10 years, but since i am only 15(almost 16, but it doesn't matter much here), i wouldn't say i have gotten to play as many good games as most have in those 10 years.

as for game of the decade... warhammer 40k 5th edition!

joking aside, it truly is very very difficult to say, because there were influential games and great games across multiple genres which cannot be fairly compared.

for strategy, i gotta say Rome: Total war was one hell of a game. simple, yet complex, beautiful despite mediocre graphics, and just had that certain charm not enough games have.

i haven't played morrowind, only oblivion, though from what i have heard, i think morrowind should be up there as well (since i think oblivion should be, and apparently morrowind ironically fixed a few quips i had with the game, despite being the predecessor)

surg3n

May 16, 2011
I would say Minecraft, but there has been some trully epic games in the last decade...
Half Life 2, Portal, TF2 etc
Fallout3, Oblivion
Resident Evil 4
Halo series
Gears series
GTA4

Tricky to pick just one, but I would say Minecraft surprised and entertained me more than any other game I've played in 10 years.

Royta

Aug 7, 2009
Metroid Prime for me. Amazing game, perfect gameplay, admosphere, story, everything. A bench mark in gaming for me.
Closely followed by Vanquish.

deadguy

Aug 22, 2009
There are only three games that managed to hold my attention for longer than 100 hours.
Those games are:

Final Fantasy X
Persona 4
TES IV: Oblivion

So I guess that's my top three.

Elsarild

Oct 26, 2009
Since 2001?

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

For better or for worse, it shaped the morden FPS.

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
For the moment, my nominee is Fallout: New Vegas. However, Skyrim is coming out later this week, and Saints Row 3 the next, so for now I shall withhold judgement.

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
Okami. I only had it for a week (rental) and only got past one or two boss fights and it's still one of my favourite games of all time.

Also, Metal Gear Solid 4.

Aug 25, 2009
Good lord, that's a hard question.

Game that got me back into gaming when I was beginning to get bored? Halo: CE
Game that I have replayed the most? Probably Fallout 3, Mass Effect or Left 4 Dead
Game I had enormous fun with? GUN
Game that was absolutely brilliant in every way? Batman: Arkham Asylum
game that features my still reigning champion favourite character, and the reason I first posted on the Escapist? Tomb Raider Underworld

That is a hard bloody question. A decade is a long time. Probably my real favourite game is Final Fantasy IX, which I only starteed playing in about 2002, but it was made before 2000, so it doesn't count. But that's easily the one that had the most influence over me in my life.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Company of Heroes gets the price for me. It completely redefined the RTS genre by reducing the importance* the macro aspect of the game and focus the game on tactical combat instead, and is what got me really deep into the genre in the first place. It's also damn pretty, has big explosions and tanks with flamethrowers.

*if anyone says the macro got "dumbed down", then I simply reply that macro isn't fun.