For the older gamers (10+ years of gaming), what is your GOTD (game of the decade)?

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Man, this thread makes me happy. So much love. Especially responses like this;

Fieldy409 said:
For me? It has to be Halo CE. Halo changed my life. It made me a hardcore gamer and through getting invited to lan partys simply because i had an xbox, it made me friends for life I wouldnt have had otherwise.

The memories from that game, from a sort of camraderie with my mates and a lot of laughs, are unforgettable!
That's something that makes the game special and meaningful and I love it, even if I'm not a fan of the game itself. ^_^

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
The fact I'm still playing Baldur's Gate 2 after a decade kind of makes it a strong contender.
I honestly cannot pick just one game though.

wurrble182

Jul 20, 2010
ive been gaming for much much longer than 10 years, and can honestly say i can't name my game of the decade or even all time, until ive played skyrim. it looks (note, LOOKS) completely perfect. we shall see.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
King of the Sandbox said:
Ruwrak said:
Why the 10 years if I may ask? Out of sheer curiosity by the way.
Well, it wouldn't be a Game of the Decade otherwise, would it? :) And I felt the 'favorite game of all time' thing has been done to death. I wanted to add something to make it a bit more thought provoking and limited.
Even after 18 years of gaming I still don't bother to read quests...
WELL I GUESS THAT GAVE AWAY WHAT GAME I PLAYED FOR 6 YEARS x3

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
There is only a handful of games that I still play long after I finished it the first time. I would have to say Star Trek: Bridge Commander. It had a decent story and the game is one of the most heavily modded games in history so the reply value is virtually infinite.

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
reonhato said:
Ruwrak said:
Why the 10 years if I may ask? Out of sheer curiosity by the way.
Well, it wouldn't be a Game of the Decade otherwise, would it? :) And I felt the 'favorite game of all time' thing has been done to death. I wanted to add something to make it a bit more thought provoking and limited.

reonhato said:
wait 10 years of gaming makes you old? 10 years of gaming doesnt even get you out of your teens.

anyway FFX hands down, nothing even compares
Well, I've been gaming for close to 30 years, but I wanted to give the younger set (with at least a bit of experience) a chance to chime in.
you should say 15 years, although most will ignore it anyway, this thread will be dominated by games released in the last few years, simple because most of this forum were only just getting over the whole bed wetting thing when the year 2000 hit us
Honestly, I started to make it 15 years, but again, doesn't really jive with the 'decade' deal. As for the forums being all kids, I dunno. I know of quite a few old timers like myself on here. And as for newer games, that's fine, it's kinda supposed to be somewhat recent games. (Being old, I consider anytime in the past 10 years recent. lol)

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Um, let's see, this is pretty hard, the only game that came to mind was released in '99. Checking my Steam gameplay stats real quick...

Civilizaton V has a crap ton of hours logged in, and it really is my favorite Civ game to date, I guess it gets the title.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Hmm... of the decade? I'm not sure. If you asked me which game actually left the longest-lasting impact on me, I'd say Phantom Brave. I got so engrossed in the game that I did not consiously breath for hours. Thank goodness for the brain stem doing it for me! But it's not the best game of the decade.

Puddleknock

Sep 14, 2011
Well Baldur's Gate 2 was released in 2000 so not in the last ten years, though Throne of Bhaal was 2001 so guess it counts (just). So I'll go with Baldur's Gate 2 Throne of Bhaal, still not had a gaming experience that can rival it.

Honourable mentions to Pokemon Silver, Halo and the Mass Effect games.

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
obscurumlux01 said:
Best Game of ALL TIME: Chrono Trigger
/thread

I knew there'd be at least one Kanye in here. lol
But I'll allow it as it has technically been re-released in the past decade, I do believe. Recently, in fact, iirc.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
For the decade I would have to say Mass effect 2. I flipping loved that game, playing it over and over on harder difficulties. I loved how it had good gameplay and big time consequences that could lead to character deaths, which is something that never happens in games these days.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
The best game since 2001, eh? hm... That leaves out a lot of great games.

Shadow of the Colossus (2005) was pretty damn good.
God of War 1 (2005) was fantastic, undone a bit by the rest of the series.
Kingdom Hearts (2002) was another great one, pretty much the same boat as God of War.

damselgaming

Feb 3, 2009
The last 10 years? Huh. Metal Gear 3 SNAAAAAKE EEEEATER! Some days - go through the rain. Some days - feed on a tree frog.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Man, this thread makes me happy. So much love. Especially responses like this;

Fieldy409 said:
For me? It has to be Halo CE. Halo changed my life. It made me a hardcore gamer and through getting invited to lan partys simply because i had an xbox, it made me friends for life I wouldnt have had otherwise.

The memories from that game, from a sort of camraderie with my mates and a lot of laughs, are unforgettable!
That's something that makes the game special and meaningful and I love it, even if I'm not a fan of the game itself. ^_^
The game is special to me indeed.

Zero47

Oct 27, 2009
Wow, you just made me realise I have 10+ years of gaming.

I'm gonna have to go with DA:O. It was pretty much exactly what I like in RPG games.