For the older gamers (10+ years of gaming), what is your GOTD (game of the decade)?

brenz

Oct 18, 2011
Judging by the time ive spent playing and the fun ive had, I have to say World of Warcraft.
But Oblivion has to get a mention....

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
Well I would say The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, but that's a year too old for this thread sadly. Since I can't use that I'm going to go with Dark Cloud 2(or Dark Chronicle as it's known in some countries). That is one of few games I can return to over and over again and seem to have more fun with each playthrough. Hell, last year I played through the entire game, then picked it up again for a new playthrough a week later.

Wushu Panda

Jul 4, 2011
Its Hard to only choose one, especially since this past decade is split between the end of 6th gen consoles and the 7th gen consoles.

my top favorites are probably God of War and Bioshock from the previous decade.

All time favorite game is Gauntlet: Dark Legacy

KelsieKatt

May 14, 2008
Hm... Tough question...

If 2000 counted, that would be easy as Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn is my favorite game of all time.

Otherwise...

I'd probably have to go with Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox). Yes, it's another BioWare and I'm certainly a fan of older BioWare games. However, I assure you it tapers off pretty quickly after that. They're still entertaining these days, but there's loads of other games I'd rather play by comparison.

The_Fezz said:
Metal Arms: Glitch In The System
Hell yes. I fucking love that game. So underrated...

I also agree that Psychonauts was excellent too.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Half Life 2, though Portal is damn close. I almost put Deus Ex, but then I realized that it came out 11 years ago(!).

It's always tough to pick one, but nothing has had the impact on me that firing up HL2 did. It just felt like I was playing something better than anything else out, and it's still a blast even today. Definitely a bar-raiser (har).

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
I'd have to go with Mass Effect or Left 4 Dead. I loved Mass Effect, but only played it once. I love Left 4 Dead and have clocked a few hundred hours combined between 1 and 2 (PC version) not counting the time spent on the XBOX version.

Briney-

Jul 13, 2011
Since 2001, eh? I was thinking either Baldur's Gate 2 or Diablo 2, but both of those came out in 2000.

I'll go with Morrowind.

Skoosh

Jun 19, 2009
A lot of people are saying Shadow of the Colossus, and I have to agree. There's a big difference between game of the year and game of the decade. Game of the year is short-sighted, what you had the most fun with lately.

Game of the decade is covering such a long period of time, it really has to have some depth, uniqueness, and timelessness about it. You can't just throw a game like Modern Warfare on there because it isn't as timeless. Sure, it's fun, but in a couple years they make another that tweaks the controls and make it a bit better. A decade from now, it will age, just as Golden Eye has. Shadow isn't a genre game though, it stands alone and does what it does best. They didn't come out with Shadow 2 and make it a bit better, it's still just as good as it was 6 years ago.

You want something that you'll remember and come back to and it will still be great, not that fun but forgettable time you had last year.

Shadow of the Colossus wins it for me, that's the one I choose, but honorable mentions include:
Silent Hill 2
Portal
Zelda: Windwaker
Bioshock
Final Fantasy X

Each of those I feel have aged very well and will continue to be considered great in another 10 years. I did list them in order of how close they came into consideration of GOTD for me. I think games with strong atmosphere, story-telling, and uniqueness age the best, and GOTD really depends on longevity. I also say it really needs an experience that can't be done through another medium, and really, if you didn't take down those beasts yourself, it wouldn't be the same. A book wouldn't work for Shadow. A movie of SH2 wouldn't be as scary as you playing through. That's part of why FFX was lowest, because although I love it, it doesn't rely on the medium of videogame as heavily as the others.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
Miles000 said:
Um... That is hard...

I would say Crash Team Racing... But it's just out of this decade...
I love that game, action girl! I used to play it a lot with my sisters and friends when I grew up.

OT: Oh god this is hard.

I'm mostly a roleplayer, but I'm going to go with Saints Row 2. I love that game, the characters and how crazy it is. Saints Row 3 will likely beat it, so my game of the decade is presumably going to be released soon.

Mass Effect and Dragon Age 2 are great too. Sheppard and Hawke are two great characters to play as.

I must mention Ratchet and Clank too.

zerobudgetgamer

Apr 5, 2011
Personally, I think Dragon Quest 8 gets my vote for GOTD. It is an amazingly long game that DOES NOT drag on, it offers a perfect amount of challenge throughout the game, respectable replay value, and the ending, IMO, is one of the greatest I've seen in a long time.

Sure, I have others I'd like to put a vote in for, but none of them give the same amount of gameplay for the price you pay, and for me, that's always a big, if not the biggest, factor.

Jul 11, 2008
Minecraft, I've been gaming for near enough 20 years and I can safely say I'm fast catching up to some of my longer play times with this. It just keeps offering more and more and when I tire of that.... Mods!!!!

Reallink

Feb 17, 2011
Kingdom Hearts 2. Exactly what I wanted from a game. If you asked me this a little earlier, it would of been Tony Hawk PS 2

Draitheryn

Jan 20, 2010
If I've been a gamer for almost 30 years can I choose 3? No? fine, tough call, lots of good choices out there such as shadow of the colossus, anno 1404, WoW(let the flaming begin), but I'm going to have to go with Mass Effect 2 on this one.