For those been in a few fights or martial artists-

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
the_maestro_sartori said:
...- but honestly, if you've been learning martial arts for 4 years and don't know that, you're studying the wrong art.
Look up Muay Thai or Jiu Jitsu in your area.
There is no such thing as right or wrong martial arts, when will people learn that? Any kind of self defense is about bringing down the opponent before he or she brings you down, and how it's done is not a matter of right or wrong, it's a matter of live or die.[/quote]

I agree, there is no wrong martial art. Some martial arts tend to be better for some people than other, for example, most of my training was based in Full Contact / Kick Boxing, but I tried Taekwondo, I didn't like it, but on the hands of someone else it is a great martial art.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I can't offer much. I threw away most of my martial arts training when I learned the hard way that most of that doesn't exactly apply to real-world situations, so I learned to "street" fight.

It's common sense, really: If your opponent has a considerable advantage, you fight dirty. Yes, that even means drilling the guy in the balls if it means you get to wake up to another morning.

Luckily, I haven't been caught in a situation that I absolutely had to brawl my way out of in the past few years. But these days, I just keep a knife or a firearm handy. It's 2010, there's no such thing as being too careful. The best weapon at your disposal, however, will always be that squishy grey mass underneath your skull.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I'm taking Krav Maga, and the lesson is pretty simple: Hit 'em in the groin.
A snap kick right up into their 'short-n-curly's is a great way to start a series of combatics.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
First, distract target. Then block his blind jab. Counter with cross to left cheek. Discombobulate. Dazed, he'll attempt wild haymaker. Weaken right jaw. Then fracture. Break cracked ribs. Heel kick to diaphragm.

Summary: ears ringing, jaw fractured, three ribs cracked, four broken, diaphragm hemorrhaging. Physical recovery six weeks. Full psychological recovery six months. Ability to spit at back of head neutralized.

I just had to.

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
CincoDeMayo said:
...- but honestly, if you've been learning martial arts for 4 years and don't know that, you're studying the wrong art.
Look up Muay Thai or Jiu Jitsu in your area.
There is no such thing as right or wrong martial arts, when will people learn that? Any kind of self defense is about bringing down the opponent before he or she brings you down, and how it's done is not a matter of right or wrong, it's a matter of live or die.
Yeah but its a good point, if his current training can't handle someone just flailing themselves around its obviously not very good or being taught the wrong way.

Lets not forget also that a fair amount of martial arts are purely focused on the sports side of things rather than actual real life fighting.

the_maestro_sartori

Nov 8, 2009
CincoDeMayo said:
There is no such thing as right or wrong martial arts, when will people learn that? Any kind of self defense is about bringing down the opponent before he or she brings you down, and how it's done is not a matter of right or wrong, it's a matter of live or die.
I'll concede to that, but there's certainly the right or wrong teachers, and if this guy's studied under a teacher for 4 years and hasn't been shown how to avoid a barrage of haymakers either by ducking one and grabbing for a choke, ducking one and holding a clinch for a barrage of knees or even simply shooting in under one to trip the guy/push the guy to the ground, then that certainly is wrong, regardless of which art it is.

chainer1216

Dec 12, 2009
there are a few options, the best in my opinian would be to kick them in the side of the knee (outside going in) this'll eather take them down to a kneeling position or make them stop flailing like a moron in order to keep balance, this will open them up for whatever needs to be done to end the conflict.

that *ahem* "style" of fighting tends to leave the face, stomach and knees open to attack.

JohnTomorrow

Green Thumbed Gamer
Jan 11, 2010
If someone is flailing their arms at you, you're probably in close proximity. The best thing to do would be to step back and to the side swiftly, dodging around him to attack the neck, sides or knees.

Alternatively, my ninjukai sensei told me that if you can catch a person's arms below the elbows - i.e. grip the triceps near the elbow - and simply walk forward, his weight is distributed in a straight line towards you, so you can easily push him up and off balance, allowing you to quickly let go of his arms, hooks your hands under his legs, and flip him to the ground, before breaking the ankle/groin-punch/groin-stomp/dislocation of ankle.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
Eliam_Dar said:
thylasos said:
Accept a hit, pull them in close along the arm or leg, then get them in the nadgers.
Brazilian Ju Jitsu?
Just sense, really. I've only done Kung fu up to a... green belt? And I was thinking of it from a random fight scenario, rather than a rules-based sparring session. :p

Lonely Swordsman

Jun 29, 2009
Stay on defense, don't let them touch you until they're close enough that you can take them down safely. At least that's how you handle it in aikido.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
CincoDeMayo said:
I'll concede to that, but there's certainly the right or wrong teachers, and if this guy's studied under a teacher for 4 years and hasn't been shown how to avoid a barrage of haymakers either by ducking one and grabbing for a choke, ducking one and holding a clinch for a barrage of knees or even simply shooting in under one to trip the guy/push the guy to the ground, then that certainly is wrong, regardless of which art it is.

well he may be asking for another alternatives to engage that opponent.
Normally a person who throws punches blindly leaves all the weak points opened so in most cases a well placed punch or kick will end the figth.

I do have a question for the OP though, which martial art are you studying?

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
thylasos said:
Eliam_Dar said:
thylasos said:
Accept a hit, pull them in close along the arm or leg, then get them in the nadgers.
Brazilian Ju Jitsu?
Just sense, really. I've only done Kung fu up to a... green belt? And I was thinking of it from a random fight scenario, rather than a rules-based sparring session. :p
well you just described a BR ju jitsu scenario =)

metalmmaniac

Jun 30, 2009
i'd say if they won't stop swinging, take out their legs and bring them to the ground. that outta stop the punching long enough to give you the upper hand.

CRAVE CASE 55

Jan 2, 2009
Well I'm a walking tank. I'm big already but when I'm mad the pain sencors turn off. Most people at my school are scared of me so...

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
BlakBladz said:
Im a studying martial artist (4 years now) and ive been in more then my fair share of fights, but my question is, how do you defeat the helicopter fighters-the psychos, the ones that are angry nd dont have anything to lose. They swing nd swing more often then not with a weapon.
How do you overcome these people without waiting for them to tire out?
What's wrong with waiting for them to tire out? Works quite well. A lot of really beefy guys are actually quite physically unfit, and if you can last more than the first ten seconds of attacks, you'll start to notice them puff and pant.

When unarmed, people who are really pissed off tend to go for the same type of swing or attack over and over. If you can work out HOW your opponent is going to attack you (and really pissed off guys tend to telegraph that way in advance) then you can develop a counter easily.

If someone attacks you with a weapon, step INTO and THROUGH the zone of attack, not away. Get right up in their face. Not only will he not be expecting it, but this also reduces the effectiveness of their strike, as the velocity of the weapon is the greatest at the outer edge of the swing. Someone weilding a baseball bat or a sword can lop your head right off if you're standing six feet away, but if you're standing six inches away he's going to have to think of something else. While he's thinking that's the time to counter-attack. A smart weapon weilder will try to back off to get a good strike but they won't be able to do that easily because you were smart enough to tread on their feet when you stepped in...

Psychologically you need to also make the other person afraid of you. Don't show fear. If you can step forward with confidence half of the time they will see that look in your eyes and just run. If you look scared they will eat you alive. Good luck.

xerxes101

Jan 27, 2010
Thought I'd join up to show you this self-defence course.

It's called Target Focus Training, uses a lot of gross motor skills before
working up to more specific targeting.

I've been training a couple of styles of kung fu for about 5 years, first weapons then
empty hand. While it's fun to learn, good for co-ordination etc., the course pretty much blows away most of what I'd learned.

They teach pretty much exactly what you've just asked about here. What do you do if someone tries to stab you? Injure them. Choking up against a wall? Thumb in the eye. Well worth checking out.

http://www.targetfocustraining.com/media/videos
http://www.targetfocustraining.com/