Forbes thinks Retaking Mass Effect 3 is a good thing.

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
The way I see it the Retake Movement is not about throwing a tantrum and forcing Bioware to cater to the fans every whim. It's about Bioware making good on their pre release promises, and meeting their own standards. The same standards upon which they've forged their reputation.

The idea that a video game somehow hits the market as unchanging as a marble sculpture is antiquated and wrong-headed. No matter what the medium, art is alive until people stop consuming it, and nowhere is that more true than with video games.

The various pundits on either side of the debate can agree on one thing ? something is different here. Bioware is facing a monumental wave of fan pressure, and it?s faced with no choice but to respond and adapt. Other game developers have already taken notice. Yes, a precedent is being set. Yes, other developers will have to look at Bioware?s example when making their games. The real message is twofold. First, that a developer has to live up to fan expectations, or else its reputation will be tarnished. The second is much more hopeful ? the idea that in an age of social media, it might just have a chance to repair the damage."

Anyways, here's the link to the article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/03/30/the-real-precedent-being-set-by-mass-effect-protests/

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
On one hand, it is absolutely insane, and utterly embarrassing for the gaming community with Forbes magazine is the best source for intelligent analysis of the Mass Effect 3 situation. The gaming community should be able to handle this one, and it's dropped the ball. Heck, it tied its hands behind its back and jumped back behind cover when the ball got dropped.

On the other hand, Forbes magazine is taking the time and effort to look at this issue seriously, and offer intelligent and reasonable advice! It's not just saying "You idiot kids. Shut up.", they're treating the fans as if the fans are the equivalent of any other consumer out there. This is awesome.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Tono Makt said:
On the other hand, Forbes magazine is taking the time and effort to look at this issue seriously, and offer intelligent and reasonable advice! It's not just saying "You idiot kids. Shut up.", they're treating the fans as if the fans are the equivalent of any other consumer out there. This is awesome.
Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
The real message is twofold. First, that a developer has to live up to fan expectations, or else its reputation will be tarnished. The second is much more hopeful - the idea that in an age of social media, it might just have a chance to repair the damage."
This. This. Oh so much this! A million times this! This is the best summation of what I've been trying to get across to people, but could never adequately say.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Tono Makt said:
On one hand, it is absolutely insane, and utterly embarrassing for the gaming community with Forbes magazine is the best source for intelligent analysis of the Mass Effect 3 situation. The gaming community should be able to handle this one, and it's dropped the ball. Heck, it tied its hands behind its back and jumped back behind cover when the ball got dropped.

I am just glad we have some REAL JOURNALISTS taking interest in the Game Industry.

I like Internet celebrities, Entertainers, Reviewers and Critics, but the Gaming Industry has gone far too long without REAL JOURNALISTS.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
Wow, how amazing and disappointing at the same time. It's sad when we can't count on our own community to sit down and look at something instead of takin' shots at the ME3 situation after 5 minutes of thought.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
boag said:
Tono Makt said:

I am just glad we have some REAL JOURNALISTS taking interest in the Game Industry.

I like Internet celebrities, Entertainers, Reviewers and Critics, but the Gaming Industry has gone far too long without REAL JOURNALISTS.
To play Devil's Advocate...so far, game journalism has survived on revenue almost exclusively received by game and computer companies, through a combination of ads and promotions(though the promotions themselves are basically just ads with a prize). And as the old saying goes, "don't bite the hand that feeds you".

However, the response from "game journalists" has been nothing if not deplorable. They decided to go with the "shut up, you whiny cockheads" route. There are many ways to go about disagreeing with a group, but how you come to the best choice being to debase your audience is beyond me.

I have no real problem with "game journalists" siding against the fans. It's what they do most of the time, so it didn't surprise me. But the level they sunk to? It's disgusting.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
It's a shock to see anyone supporting consumers at this point. The "stop being so entitled" logic is pretty pervasive these days.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
I still think the whole "Retake" movement is a load of hooey unless BioWare themselves openly admit that they jacked up. In which case, then they'd be looking at the situation not as simply trying to contain a fire, but instead looking at what created the fire in the first place then containing it.

wintercoat said:
However, the response from "game journalists" has been nothing if not deplorable. They decided to go with the "shut up, you whiny cockheads" route. There are many ways to go about disagreeing with a group, but how you come to the best choice being to debase your audience is beyond me.

I have no real problem with "game journalists" siding against the fans. It's what they do most of the time, so it didn't surprise me. But the level they sunk to? It's disgusting.
My guess is that it's a bit of a knee-jerk reaction given how... "fickle," shall we say, the gaming public at large can get. Just like way back when CoD4 first dropped (and I bet even before then with the Halo series), you couldn't go 10 seconds without someone tripping (yes, not complaining, tripping) about the game. Thus, those with better anger management skills see the situation and go "Goddamn, not this shit again..." Doesn't make it excusable, but it's a theory if nothing else.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
First, that a developer has to live up to fan expectations, or else its reputation will be tarnished.
Whelp, there goes every developers reputation. Sorry every modern developer. Bethesda, you have to stop making Fallout games like Fallout 3. I know you really want to, but the fans say you should not, so I guess your reputation is irrecoverably tarnished.

PS: The "Retake" thing is still asinine.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
If there was an actual advertised promise made there might be a case for it, but all anyone is able to cite is what they have interpreted to be incontrovertable promises amounting to a response that boils down to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfwOqlnCKQs&t=2m29s

People invested too much time and concern over a mediocre sci fi story, spent entirely too much time on bioware forums and holding bioware to what they interpret to be a promise when no such promise was actually made. Ive still yet to see an actual advertisement or official press release before the game was released that said the game would have 17 different endings, and those endings would be reflective of your choices in the game and that they would all conclude the storyline in one cohesive vein. Its a paradox.

There is no logical ground to stand on. If you dont like a product, you stop buying products from that company in direct protest. Much like the notion of an (mostly)"always on" and Origin required Sim City 5 stops me from buying it. I didnt trust Sim City after as poor as I felt Sim City 4 was, so I used that skepticism and let it guide my purchase. So I wont be buying it. So ME zealots need to take this as a learning experience (why exactly didnt they prepare for this after the release of DA2 is beyond me) and make your wallet act as your voice. Like it or not this trying to force bioware to cave to the will of the irrational populous is not only illogical but counterproductive and damaging for the industry, as well as the customers.

All this has been said before by me or someone else, so instead of responding to quotes should they come, Im going to better utilize my time by.... demanding George Lucas rewrite and remake the prequel trilogy, all because I dont like it. At least then it would be fixing the error of what was an actually decent sci fi saga.

Carlos Storm

Mar 13, 2012
It's no secret that retake mass effect has raised $80,000 to child's play
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/03/15/paragons-of-protest-retake-mass-effect-raises-money-for-kids/
And raised $1,000 for over 400 cupcakes delivered to bioware
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/27/someone-sent-bioware-400-cupcakes.aspx

Do these sound like the actions of children throwing a tantrum? No, any idiot can see that they aren't. Yet everyone I've seen speak out against RTME conveniently forgets little facts like this.

So, why does Forbes still think RTME is a good thing? because Clearly it is.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Tono Makt said:
I'd imagine it has something to do with the fact that the people at Forbes don't rely on EA advertising for their pay cheques. It's rather amazing how quickly anything resembling journalistic integrity can find it's way out the door if you think your job may be at stake if you actually say what you're thinking and make a reasoned argument.

Faerillis

Oct 29, 2009
viranimus said:
If there was an actual advertised promise made there might be a case for it, but all anyone is able to cite is what they have interpreted to be incontrovertable promises amounting to a response that boils down to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfwOqlnCKQs&t=2m29s

People invested too much time and concern over a mediocre sci fi story, spent entirely too much time on bioware forums and holding bioware to what they interpret to be a promise when no such promise was actually made. Ive still yet to see an actual advertisement or official press release before the game was released that said the game would have 17 different endings, and those endings would be reflective of your choices in the game and that they would all conclude the storyline in one cohesive vein. Its a paradox.

There is no logical ground to stand on. If you dont like a product, you stop buying products from that company in direct protest. Much like the notion of an (mostly)"always on" and Origin required Sim City 5 stops me from buying it. I didnt trust Sim City after as poor as I felt Sim City 4 was, so I used that skepticism and let it guide my purchase. So I wont be buying it. So ME zealots need to take this as a learning experience (why exactly didnt they prepare for this after the release of DA2 is beyond me) and make your wallet act as your voice. Like it or not this trying to force bioware to cave to the will of the irrational populous is not only illogical but counterproductive and damaging for the industry, as well as the customers.

All this has been said before by me or someone else, so instead of responding to quotes should they come, Im going to better utilize my time by.... demanding George Lucas rewrite and remake the prequel trilogy, all because I dont like it. At least then it would be fixing the error of what was an actually decent sci fi saga.
There are so many faults with this that I'll just address the three biggest ones.

First, You are talking past the actual points of Retake Mass Effect movement, which is all those against the movement have been able to do.
Second, you call Mass Effect a "mediocre" SciFi and Star Wars a good one... I don't know how you judge quality but here is a list of comparisons. More thoroughly developed universe; point Mass Effect. More real characters; Mass Effect. More moral reflection; Mass Effect. Cooler alien races; Mass Effect. Cool laser swords; Star Wars.
Third, there was promise after promise from the Devs regarding the ending ? all of which fell flat.

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
Smeggs said:
Tono Makt said:
Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide, No escape from reality.

Funny, it fits with Bioware's predicament at the moment...

On topic, I think this is rather awesome. I'm glad they see things the way they do, because at the moment most of the gaming media is essentially saying that devs can do what they want, and fans should just bend over and take it.

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
Carlos Storm said:
Carlos Storm:

Maybe I should have been clearer on my phrasing. I DO think the Retake Movement is a good thing. I support it every way I can.

"The way I see it the Retake Movement is not about throwing a tantrum..."

To the rest of the posters:

You know, at its core this is a group of fans passionate about Bioware's work. Fans who decided that instead of the usual reaction to a disappointment like this: "walking away and ceasing to buy their products" they chose to speak up and try to establish a channel of communication between them and the creator, to let everyone know how much they care as a community, while hoping to make the difference in the long run.

Is it far fetched? Perhaps. But we won't know if we don't try.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Tono Makt said:
They're also not calling the industry any names either. While they've been siding with the fans, they've also been incredibly respectful towards the industry in the process.

To me that's the biggest difference between them and the "gaming press." If the industry had just disagreed with the fan outrage it would have been one thing. However, they're acting like children about it; name calling and insulting the very people who are their primary reader base. This is the sort of actions I expect here on the forums, not from "news sources."

That's the big kicker to me, and why I read Forbes almost exclusively for news about this. They're the only ones who seem able to act like adults.

notsosavagemessiah

Jul 23, 2009
This is all irrelevant. If you don't like bioware's story, too bad. It's theirs, they wrote in such a way to leave it open for DLC while trying to wrap things up in a satisfying way. The truth is, this reaction would've happened no matter how good the ending was because it wasn't "their" ending. It wasn't how they saw it in their head. You that support this, need to get over the idea that somehow mass effect belongs to you. It does not. You are not the writers, you didn't put in the time to program the code. The only thing you did do, was buy and play. You didn't put any real work in, therefore, you are NOT entitled to the ability to change it.

CAMDAWG

Jul 27, 2011
Tono Makt said:

While I completely agree with most of what you said, I do take issue at labeling forbes the "only intelligent analysis". I don't think it's fair to dismiss every other media outlet as unintelligent because it doesn't ascribe to your views. Which isn't to say that you only think they're good because they agree with you, but simply that labeling thusly is not fair.

That being said, I do think forbes have been fantastic, and respectful of both sides, and most other journalists have indeed been far below the standard that should be upheld. The first that comes to mind is moviebob (although not a game critic, he is a critic on a website primarily occupied with games) and his tweets, and I guess colin moriarty as well.