Former Postal Worker Stole 2200 GameFly Games

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
SilentHunter7 said:
Isn't tampering with people's mail a felony? If so 12-18 months for 2200 counts of that, on top of all the reckless driving charges they can pin on him for running seems...light.
It'd be kinda hard to make a legitimate case for putting him away for life for what essentially is theft. Sure there is the mail tampering charge to consider but I think that's more applicable to people who don't have easy access to said mail. Either way if we locked this guy away for life just about everybody would think its excessive...unless you're from Texas, I guess.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
steakheart said:
Interesting. Looks like he-

*Puts on sunglasses*

Went postal.
YYYYYEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

I always wondered about stealing netflix movies or gamefly games. Finally, my suspicions have been validated :)

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
AceDiamond said:
SilentHunter7 said:
Isn't tampering with people's mail a felony? If so 12-18 months for 2200 counts of that, on top of all the reckless driving charges they can pin on him for running seems...light.
It'd be kinda hard to make a legitimate case for putting him away for life for what essentially is theft. Sure there is the mail tampering charge to consider but I think that's more applicable to people who don't have easy access to said mail. Either way if we locked this guy away for life just about everybody would think its excessive...unless you're from Texas, I guess.
True enough I suppose. Plus, they probably dropped a majority of the charges for a plea deal. No sense spending thousands of taxpayer dollars and increase the court's backlog even more for an ass like this.

KazNecro

Jun 1, 2009
mattttherman3 said:
12 to 18 months for 2200 games? Blasphamy! Throw the book at this fucker!
Here, Here!! The possible sentence is WAY too short for this guy. Yeah, he'll never be able to work in a government based job ever again, but it seems like more should be done... like removal of his thumbs!! Then we can all point and laugh as he tries to operated a PS3 or XBOX controller.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
It's easy to point out the guy as a klepto, but the really bad part is that it took 6 months for the postal service to take action. A lesson to always put in your complaints right away.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Kellerb said:
jack thompson will be all over this.
I can see it now "gamers steal no mroe video games!!!" something liek that but remember nobody takes him seriously anymore

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
2200 in 6 months.

2200/6 = 366.67 per month.

31 days maximum in a month.

That's 11.8 games HE STOLE PER DAY FOR SIX MONTHS STRAIGHT.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Kuliani said:
cleverlymadeup said:
Virgil said:
I wonder if there will be any fallout on GameStop (either the company or just that branch) for this. Pawn shops are liable for accepting stolen property, and anyone else that is buying 'pre-owned' goods likely falls under the same rules.

Selling back that many games should have raised a flag with somebody over there.
well if he was smart he would have sold the same game to different stores, however i don't think GameFly sends you case, they send you the game in a mailer, like Netflix does and i don't think GameStop accepts caseless games.

i'm guessing he sold it to pawnshops and ebay or friends
Doesn't say that he sold or received any cash for them, he could just have been stealing them to have them. Perhaps he was trying to run GameFly out of business or screw over the gamers in the area. Maybe he's a gigantic Halo fan, and was tired of being pwned, so he was stealing all the games so they couldn't play. :)
true he could have just kept them but i'm thinking with 2200 games, he sold some of them or gave them to his friends and "friends of friends". the thing i'm wondering tho is how they caught him cause thief paint wouldn't work, i'm guessing there was a tracker chip in there and it was luck of the draw they got him

Feb 13, 2008
steakheart said:
Interesting. Looks like he-

*Puts on sunglasses*

Went postal.
Looks like for him it's...

*removes sunglasses*

...game over.

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Seriously, it took them 2200 to suss out something was wrong? Gamestop themselves should be fired for being criminally incompetent.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well it's an assumption that he was selling at Gamestop, though I suppose a reasonable one. They won't change their policy though due to the fact that to do so would hurt too many legitimate gamers, not to mention the fact that I'd imagine they rely fairly heavily on "bulk" game sales. In my case for example on the rare occasions when I've sold games it's usually been a bunch of old ones at the same time for purposes of making room as much as anything (and I HATE to sell games as if fancy myself a collector as odd as that sounds).

As far as the guy managing to dodge the feds at work, well that doesn't surprise me. Even if your not well loved, in places where your known people will oftentimes try and help you if they can do so without getting caught. So when the feds started dropping names, it should be accepted that at someplace like a mail sorting center, the company grapevine is going to beat them to the quarry. I had to compete with it to some extent as security years ago (though never for anything that would get someone arrested) and of course with that there is a counter-grapevine. Internally it can come down to your buddies against theirs when it comes to finding someone in a big place before they go home (or just avoid you for hours until you get called to do something else), with an outsider... heh. Trust me if the police show up they can have a problem in most cases outsiders are always at a disadvantage. I just can't blame them to be honest.

I'll also be entirely frank in saying that I doubt this guy acted entirely alone. Scams with storerooms, sorting areas, etc... might start out small, but if they are going anywhere for that long they inevitably wind up getting "adopted". Not all organized crime is as flashy as say "The Sopranos". In the end the guy diappearing crates of stationary, the guy disappearing crates of maitnence materials, the guy disappearing food, the guy disappearing booze, etc... all generally "work" for the same guy. They go down it's of course 'alone' but that's just the way it is.

I can virtually guarantee that if this was going on for two years, no matter what safeguards they put into place, someone else is just going to step right in behind him as long as they use the mail.

A bunch of rambling thoughts for sure. Interesting article... oddly I hadn't thought of that kind of thing in connection to Gamefly before.

Oh and for the record, if *I* was the one nailing stuff from Gamefly through the mail, I wouldn't dump it at Gamestop or a Pawn Shop. I'd use Ebay. A bit more anonymous, and people are less likely to notice bulk sales. If I use a handle like "Usedgamediscounts" nobody is going to bat an eye if I sell like 10 copies of the same game for half the going rate. They will just ASSUME I represent a reseller or wholesaler or whatever.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
A true villain, a despicable blackguard - depriving the honest folk of their gaming goodness! I'm glad he's been brought to justice.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
Izerous said:
He probably got greedy in the end but started with only a couple here and there. If he only kept to yoinking one or two here and there no one would have noticed, but you take 90 in a day...
Thieves are always pushing the limits of what they get away and that is why they get caught. I wouldn't be surprised if there was someone with more self control out there doing the exact same thing calling this guy a dumbass for being greedy. I wonder what Gamefly will do about this considering they might have charged some of these for people for losing their games. I doubt their will be any refunds to customers victimized by this guy.

I have a question for anyone who uses Gamefly. Does Gamefly mark their games or put some sort of sticker on the CD indicating that it is Gamefly property? I doubt he could of sold any games if they had some sort of indicator that let retailers know it doesn't belong to the person trying to sell it. Gamefly should have planned for such an eventuality.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Same thing happens with the occasional netflix movie missing now and then

hansari

May 31, 2009
Kuliani said:
Doesn't say that he sold or received any cash for them, he could just have been stealing them to have them. Perhaps he was trying to run GameFly out of business or screw over the gamers in the area. Maybe he's a gigantic Halo fan, and was tired of being pwned, so he was stealing all the games so they couldn't play. :)
The article said he had some Gamespot receipts...I dunno if they give receipts for trading in games though...(was he really buying games because he still didn't have enough?)

Wait...

So in theory...if this guy took the games as they were being mailed back to Gamefly, played them quickly, then continued shipping them back, he would have never been caught?

I uhhh...post office looks interesting...

Malygris said:
A duffel bag he was carrying at the time contained 81 GameFly mailings, while his vehicle contained a backpack with another 79 GameFly games, along with five Nintendo Wii Sport packages, three Wiis, a PlayStation, various controllers and some GameStop receipts.
It would have been hilarious if cameras caught him screaming "You got the wrong guy! I'm innocent!!!" as he was being dragged away...

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
I hope this will make GameFly introduce more security checks so this never happens again

seriously though, 2200 is ridiculous. That's more then ten times the amount I have ever owned and I have gamed my entire life

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I was actually a victim of GameFly theft myself. Later on, I got a letter saying they had conducted an investigation and caught the perpetrator, some chick in California.

They probably turn right around and sell them over eBay. He probably made some serious dosh selling 2,200 games. Even at $10/game, that'd be enough to buy a car, and judging by what they confiscated on his arrest he stole from a lot more than GameFly.

The Rockerfly said:
I hope this will make GameFly introduce more security checks so this never happens again
There's nothing GameFly can do about it on their end except perhaps try to conceal what they're shipping instead of sending them in their trademark GameFly envelopes. Once it's mailed out the door, they've no control over an unethical postal worker scooping it up along the way.

Of course, they work with investigators to catch the criminals, as was the case with this guy and the gal in California I just mentioned.