Fourth Season of Torchwood Gets a New Subtitle and a Plot

M-JN

Jan 26, 2009
July is FOREVER AWAY. But I said that about the DW Christmas special too, I guess. I'm looking forward to this; hope Jack gets over his guilt mopey crybaby thing pretty quick, though, he's boring when he sulks.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Neat. Now I just need to know more about the whole American thing they're going to do...

ThePeaceFrog said:
I still don't understand how anyone can like this show, was alright in gimmicky sort of way for a season or two, but its just so cheap and Davies is a terrible writer.
I'll give you a hint:
http://tigeryogiji.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/450torchwood.jpg

Feb 13, 2008
Quaxar said:
I'll give you a hint:
John Barrowman can't act though. He can sing, he can probably dance as well. But I'll run the Plinkett coda over the entirety of Toshwood.

Describe their personalities without referring to their clothes, jobs or actor.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
John Barrowman can't act.
Lies!

OT: I hated Children of whatever, they killed everyone on that show I liked (Jack as a character has been messed with beyond recognition, so in my eyes he's dead.) So I won't be tuning in.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Quaxar said:
I'll give you a hint:
I'll go as far as describing my two favorites:

Owen was a cynic. He refused to seriously commit to any relationships because of how it destroyed him when his girlfriend died, and that only got worse for him when he eventually fell in love again and lost that person as well. He had an over-inflated ego, especially when it came to work, but that probably stemmed from a desire to actually live up to that perfect image of himself.

Toshiko was the closest thing to a purely good person the team had. Shy, amazingly intelligent, and basically selfless. Her self-worth issues might have stemmed from being used in the past, such as when her mother was kidnapped.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
ThePeaceFrog said:
I still don't understand how anyone can like this show, was alright in gimmicky sort of way for a season or two, but its just so cheap and Davies is a terrible writer.
I'd disagree, it was never alright.

Getting the pterodactyl to attack the fanservice cyber-stripper cause your security automatically locks you in with the monster and stops you from getting any guns (except for the guy who already had his, but was far too stupid to try firing it)...WTF? And they manage to keep this level of rubbish going consistently.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Meh. Davies is full of crap and can't do anything right. There have been very few things about Torchwood that I actually liked. Children of Earth was pretty bad in the sense that I knew what was going to happen a mile away, especially the whole thing about the children. It was a very unoriginal story, aliens want children, blah, blah, blah, blah, people die, stupidly initiated drama.

He needs to go do something that isn't in the Doctor Who universe. I always wondered why Steven Moffat took the angle he did when he took over and made the universe reboot itself in season 5. It was probably to make a story boundary between his stuff and anything Davies messes with in the future, because we know Davies isn't going to take what Moffat is doing with Doctor Who into account when writing Torchwood.

Though hopefully this new season of Torchwood means that Davies has dropped that abysmal idea about a Doctor Who movie that wouldn't cater to Doctor Who fans and would be against canon, just because he wants to be an ass as always.

LorChan

Jul 15, 2009
The entire population stops dying? Just like Jack? Alright, who left the heart of the TARDIS out? And at the end everyone cries bullshit at once and it turns time backwards so it all never happened?
No, really. This really, really reeks of Russel T Davies's old tricks to me.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Erja_Perttu said:
OT: I hated Children of whatever, they killed everyone on that show I liked (Jack as a character has been messed with beyond recognition, so in my eyes he's dead.) So I won't be tuning in.
It's Davies what do you expect from his writing. When he wants to change something, even if it makes no sense at all and will harm the show, he will do it.

I love David Tennant and all, my number one favorite Doctor, but Davies is one of the main reasons Christopher Eccleston only did one season of Doctor Who. Davies was a demanding git, and Eccleston didn't agree with how things were going, and that is why he was written out with the regeneration. Eccleston was great as the Doctor, he just didn't have much time to shine.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Quaxar said:
I'll give you a hint:
John Barrowman can't act though. He can sing, he can probably dance as well. But I'll run the Plinkett coda over the entirety of Toshwood.

Well, Gwen is a know-all stupid ***** who cheated on her long-term boyfriend and never bothered to feel bad for it.
Owen is skilled in medicine but I have no idea ho he ever managed to get anygirl with his all in all unlikeable character, Tosh is a silent but awfully delusional techie who loves someone she obviously has no chance with. And Ianto was actually pretty egoistic since he joined Torchwood only to act against all rules and secretly keep his girlfriend alive but later stays for Jack.

There you go. I could probably add a little bit but quite frankly I'm too tired.

Feb 13, 2008
Quaxar said:
Well, Gwen is a know-all stupid ***** who cheated on her long-term boyfriend and never bothered to feel bad for it.
Owen is skilled in medicine but I have no idea ho he ever managed to get anygirl with his all in all unlikeable character, Tosh is a silent but awfully delusional techie who loves someone she obviously has no chance with. And Ianto was actually pretty egoistic since he joined Torchwood only to act against all rules and secretly keep his girlfriend alive but later stays for Jack.
Wow...they sound...so much fun...

Ok, when you wake back up, describe Donna Noble's personality, or the Doctor's.

Edit: Bonus points, describe K9's, The TARDIS's and/or the Sonic Screwdriver's.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Quaxar said:
Wow...they sound...so much fun...

Ok, when you wake back up, describe Donna Noble's personality, or the Doctor's.

Edit: Bonus points, describe K9's, The TARDIS's and/or the Sonic Screwdriver's.
Heh, I take it you saw what i did there. It's just I don't really like Gwen or Owen, especially Gwen. Though I love the Welsh accent I always found her to be quite annoying and her affair didn't really help it either. I wish they had killed her off instead of Ianto...
And after Owen I kinda lost the thread and the motivation.

Describing the Sonic Screwdriver's personality? I like challenges!

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
JediMB said:
I'll go as far as describing my two favorites:
That's their histories. What are they "like"?
No, that's a short description of their personalities, accompanied by reasoning for how they ended up with their more crippling traits.

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
Doctor Who is my favorite show, but for the most part I despise Torchwood (I'll admit there are a couple of good episodes, like Sleeper). So I watched it for some reason even though I hated it. I couldn't figure out why at the time. Then everyone died by Children of Earth and I found out my wait was worth it :D

Defective_Detective

Jul 26, 2010
As this is Torchwood we're talking about, no doubt it will be pants-on-head retarded, with ridiculous over-the-top bisexual bonuses aplenty.

I hate Russel T Davies sometimes.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I enjoyed season 2, the first season seemed to hung up on the fact that everyone could sleep with everyone else although most sci-fi shows have rough first seasons - there's a ton of stuff to introduce.

However after Children of Earth I'm done with Torchwood. I really loved it at first but considering what Jack was willing to do at the very end when just an episode before he was willing to capitulate entirely for Ianto left a bad taste in my mouth.

I will say it's an interesting plot - I agree entirely with Pallindromemordnillap that it's nice to see a storyline where it simply isn't people's lives at risk. Maybe the show is enough of a reboot that I'll check it out after it's finished its first season.