Fox News Takes Aim at "Offensive" Duke Nukem Forever

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Fox News Takes Aim at "Offensive" Duke Nukem Forever

Fox News has already stepped up to the plate to criticize Duke Nukem Forever, even though the game isn't out yet.

Duke Nukem Forever [http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Nukem-Forever-Pc/dp/B002I0JAJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301260889&sr=8-1] has become the target of a negative Fox News article calling it "sexist" and "over the line." The game was bound to come under fire someday, but perhaps Fox News should have waited to actually play the game first.

The article uses Duke Nukem Forever's Duke Nukem 3D [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108162-Duke-Nukem-Forever-Rated-M-For-Immature] (has she actually played Duke Nukem's shooter debut?), and that the game's "depictions of women are extremely harmful, especially to young women."

Let's be honest, the article is absolutely correct in saying that Duke Nukem Forever is over-the-top in male chauvinism, sexism, and "immature" humor. Where the article goes wrong is in its failure to explain that Duke Nukem Forever is one big joke. This is a game where players take poop out of the toilet and throw it at the wall and punch aliens in the testicles. It's not supposed to be taken seriously.

Perhaps in the context of the actual game, had Fox News' writers played Duke Nukem Forever, they'd have realized its status as a parody of the cigar-smoking "man's man" action hero, though to an extreme a degree as you can get. Duke Nukem Forever isn't going to win any awards for moving society forward, but a silly game about killing aliens and boobs isn't going to move us backwards either.

Duke Nukem Forever was recently delayed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108712-Gearbox-Delays-Duke-Nukem-Forever-Until-Summer] to mid-June for release on the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

Source: Fox News [http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/03/25/duke-nukem-dustup-games-capture-babe-mode-players-slapping-women/]

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
Good. Very good. Give it some free publicity. The people that watch Fox News shouldn't be playing video games anyway.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Doesn't this technically mean it's successful with FOX? I'm sure that Gearbox would consider the hype to be a failure if FOX didn't say something about it.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
The only wonder is why it took them so long to latch onto this. We all knew that FOX was going to get its hands on the game someday, I just thought it would be sooner...

TheTurtleMan

Mar 2, 2010
Well in Fox News' defense, Duke Nukem is technically sexist and over the line. They just can't understand that it being so over-the top is what makes it great!

rockingnic

May 6, 2009
But that is what makes the game Duke Nukem Forever! That IS why he was so popular and unique in the first place. Fox News has always had their own heads up their own asses.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
[...] the game's "depictions of women are extremely harmful, especially to young women."[...]
You show me young women who'd play the game and become Duke babes and I'll give it a second thought, Fox.

Apr 28, 2008

Also, FOX, what about the fact that Duke rescues the women from aliens? Is that sexist and over the line?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yawn oh when will they learn that no matter how much they bad mouth a game, it doesn't stop people from playing it (uless it got ban). Oh wait they never will!

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
You know what I find more sexist than a game like DNF? The fact that every action movie, and to an large extent all movies include a female love interest for the main character. They offer nothing. Every movie I seem to watch has this pointless female in it for no reason other than to for the lead man to get with or protect. Obviously it's not the case in every movie, but it just seems to be the norm. It's really unfortunate because I like movies with a female lead who is more than just a set of tits and an ass.

Sebster 105

Feb 27, 2011
I also liked how they dismissed Bulletstorm as making you a rapist even though that's taking the piss as well

In other words:
REPUBLICANS ARE THICK

Biag

Feb 19, 2009
Even though it's the Duke, I've gotta say that "Capture the Babe" makes me a tad uncomfortable.

EDIT: to clarify, I'm definitely not siding with Fox. However, I'm not going to be buying the game either, and the sexism is pretty much reason number one. Some things just aren't funny to me.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Another penny for the Fox "News" prediction jar.

I might put it towards Duke Nukem Forever now.