Fox "Will Find Ways" to Use Fantastic Four

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
CaptainMarvelous said:
"We love these characters"? How. Fucking. DARE you, Fox. How dare you claim to love the Fantastic Four then proceed to butcher them beyond all recognition!? I just.... GAH!
And the worst part is it's been heavily suggested that most of the failings come down to Fox's interference.

I'm not saying the final movie would have been GOOD otherwise, but....

J-Dig

Oct 25, 2011
And to think that around five minutes ago some folks were trying to convince us Ant-Man was a failure.

Tautology

Apr 5, 2011
Good Galactus, they intend to continue. What did anyone ever do to deserve this torture? This is like part of some evil plot to destroy my childhood or something. Is Fox run by super-villains?

"We love these characters, and we will find ways to make use of them."
Yeah, super-villains.

Fox, please give up! Stop ruining Doom! Stop everything you're doing to the Fantastic Four. Take your plans for the FF's future, throw them into the Negative Zone, and give the film rights back to Marvel. Don't make me bust out the Ultimate Nullifier!

On the other hand... If you're letting just anyone make a FF movie, can I write it? My writing abilities aren't steller, but I promise it'll be a hell of lot better than what Kinberg, Trank, and Slater gave you.

Three writers for one crappy script? I'm no movie production expert, but there's your first problem.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Firstly, i have to comment on this "I have never seen a confluence of events impact the opening of a movie so swiftly."

are you stupid, or do you think we are? you know what "Events" impacted the opening of a movie? You making a shitty movie. There were LITERAL FUCKING SHOOTINGS in theaters for Batman and more recently Trainwreck. THAT is a "confluence of events impacting the opening of a movie." and BOTH of those movies outperformed this ACTUAL trainwreck.

Secondly, they vow to "Use" the characters, and I'm choosing to read the word "use" with the same connotation that a person who gets tricked into a one night stand gets "used". And there could be no better explanation for what they're doing to that franchise.

Thirdly, and this one is directed right at Fox... if you really want to make money off of a franchise that you obviously cannot handle, eat crow and follow in sony's footsteps, and reach some sort of deal with marvel. let them spray their magic all over you. you won't get as much profit as if your movie turned out good without their help, but since we live in the real world, you'll make more than any movie you'll churn out.

the worst part is, at this point, i honestly think marvel would just let it die because of all the abuse it's sustained at the hands of Fox. they've got a solid plan for their future, and don't need F4 for phase three. so way to go fox, you're holding hostage a beloved franchise and killing it with your ineptitude.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
J-Dig said:
And to think that around five minutes ago some folks were trying to convince us Ant-Man was a failure.
Well, it was in relative terms. Those terms being JUST the other movies of the MCU.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
'moviegoers "have a lot to look forward to in our Marvel universe."'

So they'll have a Fantastic Failure/Spooderman/Ex-Men crossover event in 2021?

But i just want to reiterate. Fox, as in the people who also have Fox News, have their own Marvel universe. That's hilarious.

FuzzyRaccoon

Sep 4, 2010
Tautology said:
Three writers for one crappy script? I'm no movie production expert, but there's your first problem.
Well the movie looked pretty piecemeal, and given how many writers went in and the script that came out I'd say there was something else at work. It's got to be Fox intervening somehow and making silly demands.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I feel sorry for the young actors and actress who probably thought this movie was going to be their big break, not a millstone they'd have to carry around their necks for the rest of their career.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
Only tangentially related to this article, but did anyone else find the EW article about the director's tweet incredibly obnoxious?

Every other sentence started with "what did Trank do?"

Fuck off.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
The solution for the Fantastic Four: Put them in an X-Men film.

We know you don't care for the characters, but incorporate them in to the X-Men universe after this film and them make little Fantastic Four spin off films with Wolverine as the main character or something.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Translation: "We're totally (not) going to learn from this failure and we promise that we will continue to make more Fantastic 4 stuff because we're Fox and we totally (don't) care about the characters. We swear we aren't just trying to milk them for all their worth instead of actually letting Marvel do something with them! Honest!

Yeah if Fox actually believes that they have any chance to come anywhere close to how amazing the marvel cinematic universe is with these pathetic cash-in's they are smoking something very strong... I'm just glad to see that the movie has lost them so much money since that's the only thing Fox cares about. Doubt it will actually change anything but if it keeps up maybe Fox could go bankrupt? Please?

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
I just read this as "Fox remains committed to its death grip on the Fantastic Four licence".

Despite their claims, though, its hard to see how they justify making more of these kinds of losses. 20th Century Fox is owned by 21st Century Fox which is a publicly traded company with shareholders to answer to. And its hardly an investment in the future or a loss leader for another revenue stream...pretty hard to explain why all that money is just being poured down the drain.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Putting in a bunch of untalented kids as the leads was a pretty big mistake. Screwing with their origin was a pretty big mistake. Making it a comic/action movie with almost no action was a pretty big mistake. Fox holding on to a franchise just to keep it out of Marvel's better hands is a pretty big mistake.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
P-89 Scorpion said:
Worgen said:
The reason the marvel movies work is they embrace the weirder things that the comics do. It seems like the fantastic 4 movies are trying to redo the 'realism' of the nolan batman movies, a thing which only kind of worked.
I wish Marvel did this in Iron man 3 instead of generic white business suit dude.
Gorrath said:
Iron Man 1's big bad was a white business dude, Iran Man 2's villains were a white business dude backing up a white dude who was mad at not getting to be a business dude and Iron Man 3's villain was a white business dude. That's primarily what made IM3 suck for me, it was the same rehashed story 3 times.
The real Mandarin is actually still going to be a villain. In the one shot Hail to the King, Trevor Slattery is shown being kidnapped by a member of the real Ten Rings who are pissed that he had the gall to steal The Mandarins identity.

I think they just wanted to use the Extremis story either because they really liked it, or as a way of grounding Tony for his PTSD after the battle of New York. Personally it was all worth it for Ben Kingsleys fantastic performance as Trevor Slattery.

I think thats less of a problem with the MCU and more of a problem with Iron Mans rogue gallery. As far as I'm aware, 90% of Iron Mans rogues gallery consists of Suits and Power Suits. Granted, there are a few space villians, but I'm guessing they're saving those for later to really hammer home the impact of Tonys trip through the portal. Other villians that he clashes with don't belong to Marvel, are a bit pants, or require build up.

Finally, I'm guessing it also has to do with the themes of the big 3, Thor deals with fantastical elements, Captain America deals with personal liberty, and Iron Man deals with the effect of science on mankind.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
No, Fox. You do not love these characters. If you loved these characters you'd actually put effort into them and not make a movie once every seven years just to keep your hold on them. What I'm trying to say is, fuck off and give Marvel the rights.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Sniper Team 4 said:
Fox, you could try learning from your mistakes. That would probably help a whole lot. And then sit down and decide what moviegoers and fans really want from a Fantastic 4 movie. Not what 'general knowledge' says, not what 'research' says, not what the suits say. Figure those two things out, and you might be able to pull something off. Eventually. Probably. I don't know.

I mean, you did okay with First Class and Days of Future Past, so...try a little bit here?
Yes. It's not that Fox is incapable of making movies that rival anything Disney is doing, the X-Men movies especially recently are proof enough of that, it's just that they didn't give enough of a shit to put some actual effort into the movie and make it good. It doesn't matter what their motivation is for making it in the first place, money, to hold on to the rights, they actually care about the characters, whatever, there's still no reason Fox CAN'T make a good Fantastic Four movie, they just don't want to. After all, the last 2 Fantastic Four movies were good and faithful to the characters and everything and Sony made the Amazing Spider-Man movies for the same reason Fox made this Fantastic Four movie and they still turned out great.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
You ruined doctor doom, one of the real big bad guys, a bad guy that could be used for anyone, even the avengers.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
elvor0 said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
Worgen said:
The reason the marvel movies work is they embrace the weirder things that the comics do. It seems like the fantastic 4 movies are trying to redo the 'realism' of the nolan batman movies, a thing which only kind of worked.
I wish Marvel did this in Iron man 3 instead of generic white business suit dude.
Gorrath said:
Iron Man 1's big bad was a white business dude, Iran Man 2's villains were a white business dude backing up a white dude who was mad at not getting to be a business dude and Iron Man 3's villain was a white business dude. That's primarily what made IM3 suck for me, it was the same rehashed story 3 times.
The real Mandarin is actually still going to be a villain. In the one shot Hail to the King, Trevor Slattery is shown being kidnapped by a member of the real Ten Rings who are pissed that he had the gall to steal The Mandarins identity.

I think they just wanted to use the Extremis story either because they really liked it, or as a way of grounding Tony for his PTSD after the battle of New York. Personally it was all worth it for Ben Kingsleys fantastic performance as Trevor Slattery.

I think thats less of a problem with the MCU and more of a problem with Iron Mans rogue gallery. As far as I'm aware, 90% of Iron Mans rogues gallery consists of Suits and Power Suits. Granted, there are a few space villians, but I'm guessing they're saving those for later to really hammer home the impact of Tonys trip through the portal. Other villians that he clashes with don't belong to Marvel, are a bit pants, or require build up.

Finally, I'm guessing it also has to do with the themes of the big 3, Thor deals with fantastical elements, Captain America deals with personal liberty, and Iron Man deals with the effect of science on mankind.
While I do know of the one shot and the "real" Mandarin and I don't really disagree with anything you say here, none of that really saves IM3 for me. Hell, they could have made it better by keeping the fake Mandarin puppet story but changing the big bad to someone else from the Ten Rings organization that kidnapped him in IM1. Or they could have just actually stuck with the extremis story, which was far more compelling than what they portrayed in the film. Extremis was just tacked on in IM3, losing all of the trans-human worry it stirred up.

Hell, if it'd been me, I would have focused on extremis, ditched the fake Mandarin for the real one, had him get a hold of extremis probably through Hydra and had him turn Pepper into a super powered being with it. Have Pepper show down with Stark, she wins, Stark shows his vulnerability, she relents and they both turn on Mandarin's goon squad of other extremis experiments. I'd have wrapped up by leaving Pepper super powered and joining the Avengers B-team. If anyone wants to hire me to write the script, contact me at 555-555-5555!

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
"We love these characters.."

My BS detection meter exploded upon reading that. If you love them so goddamn much then why is this love not more obvious in the film itself? It is my understanding part of the big problem is the film was made for no reason simply so you could block marvel from obtaining the movie right. Love was not a part of the equation and "making a good film" was at the bottom of the priority list.

Still I have to respect the man in a fucked up sort of way, I don't think I'd last long as a studio suit if this is the kinda BS you have to say on a day to day basis and somehow believe it.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
On the one hand I want to see the Fantastic 4 back in Marvel's hands on the other, it's not that FOX are the devil for retaining the rights, they were sold to them, they own them.

I consider the entire shame on you FOX situation pedantic.