Foxconn Reportedly Making PS4s With Forced Student Labor

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
MrHide-Patten said:
Reading the headline I pictured 10 year olds, not "kids" majoring in finance. Click bait much, I just assume that any piece of technology is glued together with childs tears.

I would however be lying if I said I cared for the plights of people slightly younger than I am being stiffed at an internship. It's not like they're shackled to the workstations.
So being forced to do unpaid work of no relevance to their degree mearly to complete their degrees is fine because they aren't children.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
oldtaku said:
It's mainland China. Be glad they're not making them out of pure poison.
This, remember this is a country where they make counterfeit eggs for consumption.

You would think companies would avoid a manufacturer like Foxconn which has to install suicide-prevention netting around its buildings.

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
Terramax said:
I remember this happening a year or so ago, with MS, Sony and Apple all saying they were making their own inquiries. That was the last I heard about it. We keep hearing these stories, but nobody actually tells us how things got resolved (if they did, or whether they were brushed under the carpet).
I think all of the corporate inquiries end with, "Well, we could stop it... but that would mean paying for labor. Eeehhhhh..."

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
hickwarrior said:
So, how do I know what electronics are manufactured at foxconn then? And how prolific are those guys anyway? Cause I'd like to avoid them where ever possible. Though it probably cannot be done if it's in every gaming device out there...

Plus, millions are sold of them...
Its faster to ask which goods are not manufactured at Foxconn, they have dozens of massive factories across the world from the Indian Subcontinent to South America but are concentrated in East Asia. They make parts as well as complete items and some of the big brands they make complete items for include Apple, Dell, Sony, Nokia, Nintendo, Microsoft, Acer, Amazon (Kindles & whatnot), Google, Hewlett Packard. Big telecoms companies like Huawei and Cisco have most of their hardware like phones, switchboards and servers made by them too.

They make around one-third to half of all consumer electronics in the world, almost everything has parts that have passed through Foxconn at some point.

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
Oh, hi, we're China, we make yo shit and have 1/7th of humanity to feed, is that news to you?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Really all we can do is shake out heads and tut-tut-tut disapprovingly.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Cybylt said:
I think all of the corporate inquiries end with, "Well, we could stop it... but that would mean paying for labor. Eeehhhhh..."
I don't even think it went that far. More like 'we knew it was happening, but now we have to pretend we care until it falls out of the spotlight, and then it's business as usual.'

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Maybe this will show what a horrible person I am, but at this stage, it's practically safe to assume that your electronic goods are being made in conditions you'd rather they weren't. And when Foxconn's involved, poor-quality internships aren't the worst thing you could think about. So I really don't care. There's not shit I can do about it.

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
As someone above already mentioned, this doesn't seem particularly outlandish compared to where I live; where internships in many cases really are little more than excuses to exploit young people for cheap/free labour. The distinction here is that this behaviour is simply being taken to its blatant extreme.

If this kind of exploitation constitutes something 'bad' in China; then we're closing the gap on them in the race to the bottom.

Incidentally, is Foxconn by any chance the place that reportedly installed nets to prevent their workers from killing themselves?

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
An odd tale to be sure. Not quite sure where I sit on the issue. People bring up child labor; which is bad/wrong, but what about adults (young adults mind you) being put to work. True it's something they're not being paid for so yeah it's rather mean thing to do.

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
Arawn said:
An odd tale to be sure. Not quite sure where I sit on the issue. People bring up child labor; which is bad/wrong, but what about adults (young adults mind you) being put to work. True it's something they're not being paid for so yeah it's rather mean thing to do.
It seems mild in relative terms and should be clearly wrong. They're not learning anything and could wreck their entire careers if they tried to opt out.

Wookie 1

Apr 3, 2010
The point is also that they are compelled to do so by their university / course, they literally cannot opt out of being exploited for their time, at least our frequently exploitative internships in the West aren't compulsory labour on unskilled manufacturing work.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Well, this'll teach me not to complain about my future internships.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
J Tyran said:
hickwarrior said:
So, how do I know what electronics are manufactured at foxconn then? And how prolific are those guys anyway? Cause I'd like to avoid them where ever possible. Though it probably cannot be done if it's in every gaming device out there...

Plus, millions are sold of them...
Its faster to ask which goods are not manufactured at Foxconn, they have dozens of massive factories across the world from the Indian Subcontinent to South America but are concentrated in East Asia. They make parts as well as complete items and some of the big brands they make complete items for include Apple, Dell, Sony, Nokia, Nintendo, Microsoft, Acer, Amazon (Kindles & whatnot), Google, Hewlett Packard. Big telecoms companies like Huawei and Cisco have most of their hardware like phones, switchboards and servers made by them too.

They make around one-third to half of all consumer electronics in the world, almost everything has parts that have passed through Foxconn at some point.
So basically swear off using tech altogether or buy apple products. Guess I should pick my poison then and be read yto close my eyes...

In less melodramatic news... Oh well, love my stuff too much to stop buying it.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
so when the time comes how do I make sure the PS4 I buy wasn't one made in a place like that? I'd rather not give my money to them but I still want a PS4 do I have any options?.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Sgt. Sykes said:
Foxconn is a cheap factory.

Most makers use Foxconn to assemble products to sell them as cheaply as possible.

Except who? Yep, Apple.
That makes me feel better about owning an apple computer and phone.