Franchises you know that are pretty much dead, but don't want them to die.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
I'm aware a thread has been done on this before, (Franchises you want to die, I think.) but I'm talking about franchises you know are pretty much dead in the gutter, but you don't want to fade away.

Sonic, Mario, and Halo come to mind when I think of it.

Sonic's games are pretty much shit. All what Sega's been doing as of late is dropping random ideas into the Sonic formula, which proved to work without the needless additions. It's a shame because Sonic was a great game character with lots of great games, and they way they shat all over the name is honestly, disgusting.

Mario is heading there in spite of having better games than sonic, but it's hard to shake the feeling the devs aren't into it anymore. After all, they are making more money by selling bathroom scales and MIDI synthesizers. Mario was the game to bring me into gaming from the NES, and as much as I still like him, I feel like Nintendo doesn't care about Mario anymore.

Halo is pretty much dead, and the way they're kicking the corpse now is really stupid. Halo Wars, Halo 3: ODST, and the peter jackson Halo project sounds good on paper, but they're doing it to please fans. Honestly, I think Halo has had its run, and it's time a new series should come and take Halo's mantle.

Bowstring

May 30, 2008
In my opinion the Mario franchise is far from dead. In my opinion all the games of the main Mario series have been bloody good. This includes Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy.

I'm not a big fan of the spinoffs, but the main series is going strong.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Bowstring said:
In my opinion the Mario franchise is far from dead. In my opinion all the games of the main Mario series have been bloody good. This includes Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy.

I'm not a big fan of the spinoffs, but the main series is going strong.
Im not saying the main series is shit, I'm talking about the way Nintendo's been treating it. They will willingly pump out spin-off crap (except paper mario), just to please fans of the series. The main series is fine, and as long as nintendo stick to it, it'll raise hopes I have for the series.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
The .Hack series,it died with G.U series but i really want them to go back to the World R1,it probely will never happen but I can dream that the rumored The World MMO is true *sigh*

Crystal Cuckoo

Jan 6, 2009
I want to give Sonic one last shot at his main series.
Sonic Team were really close with Unleashed, so the next game may turn it around.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
Not an intentional pun, but this has been done to death. While you could have used the search button, you could have also scrolled 2 or 3 pages and found a very similar thread.

Kodlak

Feb 5, 2009
I want to see another Golden Sun game if they could possibly make a story out of it.

Beffudled Sheep

Jan 23, 2009
Country
Texas
Sonic, the old 2D sonic not the new sonic.Doom... that series died long ago, but it never should have. Mario Bros. Wargames series. Halo isn't dead, Halo Wars looks like it might bring some life back to the series. I played the demo and thought that it was great.ODST looks like a pretty good game too.

Rock Avich

Feb 6, 2009
Nothing, I live in denial.

So... how do you guys like Sonic 2? I like this Tails character...

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Kodlak said:
I want to see another Golden Sun game if they could possibly make a story out of it.
I want Golden Sun on PC. I know there are emulators, but Golden Sun + more awesome graphics (because on GBA they were AWESOME) + voice acting = total win. Could beat all other RPGs out there, including Baldur's Gate series, Neverwinter Nights and maybe Planescape...

Beffudled Sheep

Jan 23, 2009
Country
Texas
Rock Avich said:
Nothing, I live in denial.

So... how do you guys like Sonic 2? I like this Tails character...
Uhhhhh... yeah Sonic 2 is great and that Tails character is pretty alright. I hope that the developers don't massively f up the series somehow. Who am i kidding... theres no way that they can mess it up its to great.

J.B

Feb 4, 2009
The Halo series dosen't have to die. Just give us an only-multiplayer game at a lower price.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
How the hell are Mario and Halo dead?
They can't be dead when a)those games are bloody good, or atleast some people think they're good, and b)when they sell like a triple cunted hooker's services one the day every other woman dies.

Also, Halo has only had 3 games so far.
Saying the series is overdone, or dead, is idiotic.

Jester Lord said:
Doom... that series died long ago, but it never should have.
Dude, they're making Doom 4, and the last Doom game (Doom 3) came out in 2004.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Suikoden,

I keep telling myself that Konami will eventually announce #6 in my favorite series of all time, but I'm pretty sure that's wishful thinking. Sure there's the DS spin off, but I don't know if that counts.

I have the same feeling with the Chrono Series, I keep hoping that Square will suddenly announce that "Yuji Hori, Hironobu Sakaguchi, Masato Kato and Yasonori Mitsuda are working on a new Chrono Game with Akira Toriyama character designs" but I doubt that'll ever happen.