French Armed Robbers Steal Thousands of Copies of Modern Warfare 3

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
ReservoirAngel said:
Seriously, this happened? SERIOUSLY? I would link the "I don't want to live on this planet any more" but frankly this doesn't deserve it. It's not funny-stupid enough, it's just dumb in every conceivable way.

It's a fucking game. Is waiting a few weeks really just so impossible for people that they felt the need to become an armed vigilante group just to get it?

I fucking hate this planet and it's becoming increasingly difficult to tolerate the relentless stupidity of some video game fans.
A few weeks? The game comes out tomorrow, making this even stupider.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Grayjack said:
ReservoirAngel said:
Seriously, this happened? SERIOUSLY? I would link the "I don't want to live on this planet any more" but frankly this doesn't deserve it. It's not funny-stupid enough, it's just dumb in every conceivable way.

It's a fucking game. Is waiting a few weeks really just so impossible for people that they felt the need to become an armed vigilante group just to get it?

I fucking hate this planet and it's becoming increasingly difficult to tolerate the relentless stupidity of some video game fans.
A few weeks? The game comes out tomorrow, making this even stupider.
Yeah... Modern Warfare 3's release date isn't a big concern for me so I didn't really know or care. But laughing at people who care way too much is always funny.

The truly hilarious thing is that I can honestly picture my old roommates pulling something like this with how much Call of Duty they played when I lived with them.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
Wow. All of these news about Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3, and the game's not even out yet. I can't wait to see what other news this game will get a few days or a week after its release in stores.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
Hmmmm, we could jack this armored car filled with gold..... or this truck full of videogames.

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
Why they would waste that much time to steal 6,000 copies of Modern Gayfare 3 when they could do the same thing for a game that will be gods gift to the world like, say, Skyrim?

/Sarcasm

In all honesty, while the heist sounds badass, its also completely redundant. These robbers, and the people who might possibly buy the game from them, couldn't wait a couple more days for the game to be released? Seriously?

Sperium 3000

Mar 16, 2009
Oh well, at leasn't they didn't steal anything important! *Eagerly receives audience's booing* Yeah, yeah, you heard me!

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
i feel sorry for the people who fall for the con of these motherfuckers. thinking they got cheap multiplayer, get online, find out their serial key is banned and they just wasted money.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Am I bad in thinking that at least the consoles didnt have to worry about pirates and torrent sites, just armed robbery and truckjacking instead.

carletonman

Oct 29, 2010
This ladies and gentlemen appears to be a next-level piracy maneuver. What's more, they also qualify for Day 1 DLC!

(JOKES!)

Comando96

May 26, 2009
Epitome said:
Is the 750,000 retail? If both trucks had 6000 copies retailing at ?60 a piece it would still only be ?720,000. But isn't the real value of the theft just the cost of manufacture on those 12,000 units? Which I doubt is much at all.

I suppose 3/4 of a million sounds a lot better than, we need to add 12,000 more onto the next batch of 100,000's of thousands to print.
Well you aren't taking into consideration the loss of revenue through reduced sales due to the fact these copies aren't going to be sold again.

Its an opportunity cost that results in their loss of revenue... on all sides.

bluepanda 492 said:
Anyone wonder where the hell they could possible hide that many copies?
Small group, therefore high risk, but lost cost job.
Likely a sub gang of those affiliated with a gang but not part of the main organisation.
If they succeed then they have the gangs respect and they help to shift the units. This will also include storage. If they fail... these kids are too low down the chain to say anything worthwhile and its a small loss both in personnel and resources.

You'd be surprised what gangs will do for cash and this is A LOT, as sales can be earned from expensive early sales, as well as super discounte3d copies after release.

I grew up in South East London and am familiar with gang tactics at an operation level as well as standard practice of racketeering due to my dad being involved due to being good drinking buddies with someone who was a senior playing in London. The pub he drank at was just a gang front >.>

My dad was happy to tag along with some things they did, and got arrested for one con where he stole tens of thousands of £'s worth of DIY equipment from a store in London as the girl at the till didn't scan the items through(she was in on it).

Bloody alcoholic fool...

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Oh. My. God. It's like a heist out of the movies, except way more geeky. Awesome.

Oh, I mean, "oh dear, how horrible".

EDIT: Except for the whole "incapacitate the driver" part. Really now, what happened to the gentlemanly thief? Jerks.

On an aside, I'm pretty sure they know what games get sent out to what locations. Can't they just invalidate all those disks from that shipment? God knows there must be some kind of DRM marker on each disk.

SharpRus

Oct 19, 2011
This thread is seriously lacking common sense.

1) They didn't steal it for themselves.

2) They didn't steal it to sell before launch. (not enough time + easy to get caught having a game that isn't out)

3) It's most likely to be sold in the coming weeks to undercut market value. (30 euro times 6000 is still a lot of money)

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
While reading this... I couldn't help but be reminded of the opening scene of Heat..... Then I remembered they were just stealing a truck full of video games... then it became much less awesome.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
What language were the copies in?

Mirror Cage said:
What puzzles me more is that guy who payed $1700 for the early copy. Who is he planning to play against? There's probably about 3 people who own that game at the moment.
And they all have a banned Live account, too.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Can we get a new security countermeasure that causes disks to scratch themselves 10 minutes into the game if they're stolen? That would be dandy.

Tenbob

Sep 12, 2011
I came across this shortly after reading this article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/nov/07/modern-warfare-3-early-copies-in-shops?newsfeed=true

Well.. I guess crossing the channel doesn't take that long.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Seems stupid, the game is out tomorrow. What are they really going to do with it? It's a lot of work to move the games at only $60 a piece.

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
Catalyst6 said:
EDIT: Except for the whole "incapacitate the driver" part. Really now, what happened to the gentlemanly thief? Jerks.
Well, they didn't shoot him in the head, that's a plus i guess...

Vanguard_Ex said:
Can we get a new security countermeasure that causes disks to scratch themselves 10 minutes into the game if they're stolen? That would be dandy.
Oh yeah, that's what we need, some kind of DRM that physically destroys the disk, nothing can go wrong with that right ? .... right ?

I can only imagine the uproar if something like that was ever introduced :p