French museum closes Genghis Khan exhibit over Chinese museums demands not to use words Genghis Khan

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I’ll be pedantic and say that Ghengis Khan wasn’t his name or title.
Well, "Genghis" and "Khan" are both romanisations, which (while pretty inaccurate, particularly "Genghis") aren't particularly far away from how we usually romanise classical/ancient/antiquated naming conventions.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Wh...bu...? Everybody knows already, China...everybody knows! China? Can someone please tell China that everybody knows? You can't just whip this one back under the rug, the very walls and foundational pillars are made from this knowledge!

However, if you really must insist, then i suggest the museum turn their focus on the history of Winnie the Pooh instead. Who would have anything against a tribute to such a wholesome children's entertainment?

Reactions: Hawki

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Wh...bu...? Everybody knows already, China...everybody knows!
Everyone knows now, but push enough influence and people may change.

India only changed the name of Bombay to Mumbai about 20-30 years ago, and already we've adopted it in the West pretty much wholesale - that's how quick it can be (although as far as I can tell from a holiday in India, the Indians still pronounce it Bombay - go figure). China as we have mostly clearly seen, is very keen on encouraging the world to view China only in the way China wants to be viewed.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
France, can you kindly tell China to fuck off? China, people know Genghis Khan exist. He still in wiki articles, documents, and plenty of history books. Why the fuck do you even care? That is something you can't erase. No matter how hard you try. There was a game that came out months ago that has one of his grandchildren as the main villain. So sit down, shut up, and stop being "offended". If anything, this almost making me want to root for Khan and his descendants right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
The exhibit was planned in collaboration with the Inner Mongolia Museum in Hohhot, China.
Welp, there's ya problem.

Next time they should try collab with a mongolian museum instead.

I can't help but reflect on the irony that Columbus statues are coming down (arguably rightfully) as we speak, but there's still reverance for a man who killed so many people that the temperature of the Earth dropped.
You make a good point. Maybe China is in moral right, cancelling this nasty dead ruler.

Reactions: Iron

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
France, can you kindly tell China to fuck off? China, people know Genghis Khan exist. He still in wiki articles, documents, and plenty of history books. Why the fuck do you even care? That is something you can't erase. No matter how hard you try. There was a game that came out months ago that has one of his grandchildren as the main villain.
Well, a fictional grandchild, but yes.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
France, can you kindly tell China to fuck off?
Actually this is the way France told China to fuck off. China didn't want the exhibit closed; they wanted it changed to fit a different portrayal of the Mongol culture to the one France originally prepared with the collaboration of Inner Mongolia Museum in Hohhot. It wasn't just that they wanted "Genghis Kahn" renamed; China wanted the exhibit to fit their latest propaganda stunt against ethnic Mongolians.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well, a fictional grandchild, but yes.
You knew what I meant.

Actually this is the way France told China to fuck off. China didn't want the exhibit closed; they wanted it changed to fit a different portrayal of the Mongol culture to the one France originally prepared with the collaboration of Inner Mongolia Museum in Hohhot. It wasn't just that they wanted "Genghis Kahn" renamed; China wanted the exhibit to fit their latest propaganda stunt against ethnic Mongolians.

Good to know.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Actually this is the way France told China to fuck off. China didn't want the exhibit closed; they wanted it changed to fit a different portrayal of the Mongol culture to the one France originally prepared with the collaboration of Inner Mongolia Museum in Hohhot.
I bet you the authorities will be replacing the senior management of that museum fairly soon, if they haven't already. Mind you, they've been doing that sort of thing in Poland and Hungary, too.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Wh...bu...? Everybody knows already, China...everybody knows! China? Can someone please tell China that everybody knows? You can't just whip this one back under the rug, the very walls and foundational pillars are made from this knowledge!

However, if you really must insist, then i suggest the museum turn their focus on the history of Winnie the Pooh instead. Who would have anything against a tribute to such a wholesome children's entertainment?
They can if they get enough control of culture and influence over other nations.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
China as we have mostly clearly seen, is very keen on encouraging the world to view China only in the way China wants to be viewed.
Remember when the UK did this. An America still does. Remember all the atrocities those guys commited while pretending history said others.

One war criminal country is enough thanks

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Remember when the UK did this. An America still does. Remember all the atrocities those guys commited while pretending history said others.

The difference is that the UK and US governments allow even their own people to disagree with the government line, and leave open all sorts of channels of information to spread that disagreement. Our very ability to voice the sort of crticism you have there is because we've been allowed to investigate, discuss, and reflect on the sins of our states: otherwise we'd all be parrotting mindless jingoism.

China is not like that.

Reactions: Ender910 and Hawki

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

Difference being that the shit China is doing is shit that's going on right now. Meanwhile, the UK has soft-power at best right now, and even that's debatable in the wake of Brexit.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Imagine this but times a billion, and you have Pax-Sinica(China ruling the world)

But sure let's vote for Biden who was Xi''s friends, and supports engagement, let's let Harris be the next president with her state doing the most trade with China, and let's vote for all those dem congresspeople,

Great idea.

Nov 9, 2015
China has the worst superiority complex of any nation. They have already massacred hundreds of thousands of Mongolians in revenge during the 19th century. Yet they are still mad, and now they get to cancel Genghis Khan for "ethical values".

Reactions: Gergar12

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
China has the worst superiority complex of any nation. They have already massacred hundreds of thousands of Mongolians in revenge in the 19th century. Yet they are still mad, and now they get to cancel Genghis Khan for "ethical values".
It's not a superiority complex, it's a self-esteem issue. Xi is literally very insecure according to Dr. Scissors of AEI. Funny enough I have the same issues, but I respond to those by debating people. Xi kills people and puts people in concentration camps.

Nov 9, 2015
It's not a superiority complex, it's a self-esteem issue. Xi is literally very insecure according to Dr. Scissors of AEI. Funny enough I have the same issues, but I respond to those by debating people. Xi kills people and puts people in concentration camps.
I don't know, but I'm just saying these are the guys complaining about western imperialism while their liberation army goes around invading nations with Russian hand-me-downs.

Reactions: Gergar12

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I don't know, but I'm just saying these are the guys complaining about western imperialism while their liberation army goes around invading nations with Russian hand-me-downs.
What nation has China actually invaded in recent memory though?

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
What nation has China actually invaded in recent memory though?
LOL recent memory. Love your qualifier there.

Tibet, South Korea, and Vietnam as well as India recently, and back then. Even Russia and in the 1960s -2000s.