From Dust Always-On DRM Rumors Denied - UPDATED

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
I know of a legal way to avoid it: Get a better game similar to From Dust like Populous The Beginning or Black & White. Seriously, for a game as expensive as From Dust and as new, I expected so much more than just dumping dirt and water around.

Edit: Wow, guess they're not using the DRM. I still don't see how anyone can be hyped about it though, at least judging by the trial version of the X-Box 360 edition.

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
Stublore said:
This is why pirate versions are superior! :(
If you want to support the game, but not the DRM, buy the game and get the cracked version.
Voila!
Of course the downside of this of course is that it appears to the game company that you don't mind the ridiculous DRM restriction.
Or just not buy a product that they make you use illegally. That might actually get someones attention instead of supporting it.

Apr 28, 2008
Whatever, doesn't matter to me. Swearing off of ALL Ubisoft games AGAIN because they're putting it back into another game.

Not going to play their games, not going to buy their games, not going to rent their games, not going to buy used, not going to pirate, nothing. I want nothing to do with a company that is willing to treat their customers like criminals while demanding that the customers to also pay for being treated as such.

Fuck you, Ubisoft.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Richard Allen said:
brunothepig said:
Well, all my interest in this game is now gone.
Panzervaughn said:
Rockpapershotgun said the exact opposite earlier today.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/28/from-dust-doesnt-have-always-online-drm/

Perhaps "Permanent" is being confused for "Constant"?
And it's back... Ok, Ubisoft, clear this up. What's going on dammit?
Does it really matter? Can't play the game while traveling (not easy anyway), or during a power outage. Considering it's a single player game it would be one of the ones I'd be looking for to pass the time.

Maybe since it's not cod:x people might stick to their guns and not buy it. I can only hope.
What do you mean? If it doesn't require a constant connection, as is said in the above article, then you can play it while traveling or during a power outage, or any other situation you might be without internet.
EDIT: There we go, update from ubisoft says it doesn't require a constant connection. Excellent.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
In case you've missed it, and as a couple of others have already pointed out, Ubisoft says From Dust won't use its horrid DRM scheme, which is great - although what it will use remains a mystery. We'll let you know if and when Ubisoft comes across with the details prior to the game's launch.

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
brunothepig said:
Richard Allen said:
brunothepig said:
Well, all my interest in this game is now gone.
Panzervaughn said:
Rockpapershotgun said the exact opposite earlier today.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/28/from-dust-doesnt-have-always-online-drm/

Perhaps "Permanent" is being confused for "Constant"?
And it's back... Ok, Ubisoft, clear this up. What's going on dammit?
Does it really matter? Can't play the game while traveling (not easy anyway), or during a power outage. Considering it's a single player game it would be one of the ones I'd be looking for to pass the time.

Maybe since it's not cod:x people might stick to their guns and not buy it. I can only hope.
What do you mean? If it doesn't require a constant connection, as is said in the above article, then you can play it while traveling or during a power outage, or any other situation you might be without internet.
EDIT: There we go, update from ubisoft says it doesn't require a constant connection. Excellent.
If it requires any authentication at the time of loading it's an issue. If I'm on a train I don't want to have to check if I have wifi or a wireless signal to tether just to play my single player game and be sol if I am without. So it's not using the always online which is good but I'll reserve judgement until they say how it's going to work.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
If true, they just lost yet another sale. If it's bullshit then they probably have yet another sale! Yay for the lack of DRM, it only fuels piracy!

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
What.
The.
Fuck.

Well, we will see whether or not this is true when the game is released. I seriously seriouslyhope its not. This is one of the few games I was absolutely giddy over and now.....the fuck ubisoft. It better not be online required, or you're losing alot of customers. including me. And I have a stable internet connection.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The rumour may be damaging, true or not.

That's a little scary. Almost as scary as the possibility of the return of always-on DRM.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
In case you've missed it, and as a couple of others have already pointed out, Ubisoft says From Dust won't use its horrid DRM scheme, which is great
Praise Jebus. I don't need yet another game to add to my "interesting things I'll never get to play" list because of something stupid like that. Meanwhile, the Arkham Asylum sale on Steam is taunting me from the other window with its GFWL and SecuROM...

My unusually appropriate captcha: old codger

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
From Dust is the new Populous-inspired game from Another World creator Eric Chahi and if that sentence doesn't get you excited, there's really nothing I can do for you.
*Applause*

Another World is a magnificent game and everyone should play it. It's been released for a million and one platforms, so everyone should be able to find a way.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Well, there's still a chance I'll buy it if it's not true... although this leaves the question of "why do we need a "permanent" internet connection?"

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Andy Chalk said:
In case you've missed it, and as a couple of others have already pointed out, Ubisoft says From Dust won't use its horrid DRM scheme, which is great - although what it will use remains a mystery. We'll let you know if and when Ubisoft comes across with the details prior to the game's launch.
If they go light on the DRM (or none) I'll buy their priciest version.

Just like I did Witcher 2.

Someone should call them up, got cash money right here.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I have a quite simple answer to this rising problem "don't buy the game" their profits will show how much we really care about their current situation they got themselves into.