Frostbite 2 engine and Dragon Age 3

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
RicoADF said:
You make a fair point, but you've got to remember that Source hasn't just been used for FPS games. Dota 2 uses Source, as well as a number of games not developed by Valve such as Alien Swarm.

Engines are more flexible than you think and can be modified to suit the developer's needs. Hell, Need For Speed: The Run and the upcoming Command & Conquer use Frostbite.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Fappy said:
All I know is that it is supposed to be really pretty. The DA franchise could use a face-lift imo.
This.

It means DA3 will likely be less hideous to look at than it's predeccesors. Though it also means it might be a bit to demanding to exist properly on a console and it might mean obnoxious lighting effects being used to piss you off.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
PercyBoleyn said:
Tank207 said:
Oh for the love of all that is good a decent! Just a tad bit over dramatic there aren't we?
Not when it's true.
Oh get over yourself. Calling people the "Devil" because they happen to buy video games from a certain publisher is beyond childish. It's a video game, play something else. There are indie developers, there's obsidian's kickstarter. I have no love for EA but acting like a spoiled brat and calling people the personification of all evil because you don't like something just makes you look like an ass.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
PercyBoleyn said:
Dragon Age: Origins was. You can see the care and attention the developers gave it, something which was noticeably missing from its sequel.
How did you quote me nearly a day later and get an old version of a post I had edited hours before you posted?

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I'm calling it; Dragon Age 3 is an FPS.

If that actually happens, I will feel the most hollowed joy I have ever felt in my entire life.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
PercyBoleyn said:
That's just the sort of attitude I'd expect a modern jaded gamer to have. In the past developers actually wanted to create good games as opposed to something that prints money. It's only recently when publishers became big and started thinking of themselves as the gaming Hollywood did everything go to shit.
That's the sort of rhetoric I expect someone who falls for obvious PR propaganda to have. Get any developer up in front of a camera, or in an interview, and people become jelly in their hands.
PercyBoleyn said:
Dragon Age: Origins was. You can see the care and attention the developers gave it, something which was noticeably missing from its sequel.
Care and attention? Both of which came from having time and money.

Time and money they only got because they believed that making it so would produce a game that would allow them to make that money, plus more, back in sales.
PercyBoleyn said:
Bioware started development on DA:O in 2005.
Bioware was bought by Ea before DAO finished.

EA would have canned it if they didn't think the time and money Bioware, and they themselves, put into it wouldn't make a product that allowed them to make a profit.

faspxina

Feb 1, 2010
Yes, this happening is extremely concerning, we should all concern ourselves with this situation.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
PercyBoleyn said:
glchicks said:
Talk about frustrating... it seems like the senseless outnumber the sensible, and they want to play the persecuted as well. HA. What a crazy world we live in. Keep on fighting the good fight my friend.
Thanks for proving me right friend!

Tank207 said:
Oh get over yourself. Calling people the "Devil" because they happen to buy video games from a certain publisher is beyond childish.
Not when it's true. Burn.

Tank207 said:
It's a video game, play something else.
It's just a game, who cares if it degrades an entire medium!

Tank207 said:
There are indie developers, there's obsidian's kickstarter. Kicking and screaming like a spoiled brat
I wondered how long it would take for you to pull out the entitled card.

Tank207 said:
And calling people the personification of all evil because you don't like something just makes you look like an ass.
I'd have thought you weren't as shallow so as to suggest that these things don't matter. After all, we're talking about something that has shaped an entire generation here. Something which, lately, has gone to complete shit because of greedy corporations and the people who support them. People like you, incidentally.
Entitlement? What? That's not what I meant at all.

I'm talking about how you're lashing out at people like a child for no other reason than because you don't like something. Not because you feel 'entitled' to something.

As I said I don't like EA, I can't stand them. But I'm not going to get all self righteous and treat people like they're the personification of all evil because they happen to buy something from them every once and a while.

And with that I'm done, because it isn't worth continuing this further. It won't go anywhere but in circles, and I'd rather keep my blood pressure where it should be.

Mark Hardigan

Apr 5, 2010
I personally, don't think it's a good decision. The original Dragon Age: Origins engine was written from the ground-up specifically for the Dragon Age rules. With Frostbite, they are going to have to rewrite a ton of the engine. I think that this is going to result in an even MORE mod-unfriendly game than DA2 was. And given that the whole choice to make DA2 mod-unfriendly was obvious (So that they could sell their crappy weapon and armor packs and other money-milking DLC), I don't think that will turn out well.

Overall, with how less and less Bioware is seeming to be the Bioware I knew growing up, I'm now taking a wait and see approach. perhaps this will be the game the redeems them. Or perhaps this will be the game that proves all of my fears to be founded.

Overall, I don't see any huge deal with them using frostbite other than the issue I highlighted, where they will have to rewrite a lot of it to create a Dragon Age game with it.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
I am actually on board with the Dragon Age franchise. It hasn't disappointed me yet. I know some people are down on DA2, but I had a good time with it. Copy-pasted levels in a AAA game can go to the ninth circle of gaming hell, but it didn't kill the experience for me.

Tigerlily Warrior

Jan 22, 2010
Random Argument Man said:
Tigerlily Warrior said:
So does this mean DA3 will be a FPS? Anyone??
Did you seriously asked this question or are you just trolling?
Not trolling. Just not sure what to expect with a new engine. Wiki says it has destruction mechanics and has been used for a number of FPS. I'm only familiar with Unreal. I was hoping by learning more about the engine that runs the game to figure out what the game may look like or play. That's all.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
DA3 is going to use Frostbite 2?

That's great. I love the feel of the engine in BattleField 3.

Tigerlily Warrior

Jan 22, 2010
Mega Messiah said:
I'm excited for Frostbite 2. Between part 1 having low-poly low-res texture models, and part 2 going for this pseudo-stylized realism look that fell flat on its ass, I'm glad they're going balls to the wall with what will hopefully be full on photorealistic fantasy like they tried going for in the original.

Not brown and grey mind you; I hope it's nice and colorful since Orlais is a city of vivid colors, perfumes, and festooned splendor, but photorealistic in the sense that things just look organic instead of the stylization they tried throwing in with part 2.

Also, l2engines. Just because an FPS uses an engine doesn't mean this game'll be an FPS.

Even if EA's track record begs to differ.
Thanks! Learning more everyday.