Full Metal Genesis

TheTygre

Jun 17, 2009
I dunno if Alphonse is a shining example of what to do. I mean, he's got nobody that he really sees eye-to-eye with, so all his problems ring hollow. And I don't care how metal he acts, I think he's really a tin soldier at heart.

Still, better life lessons that Shinji got. All Shinji' mom taught was, "You are what you eat."

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Izanagi009 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Gendo Ikari, best dad ever.

Shinji Ikari, only person to complain that he gets to pilot a giant robot and live with MILFsato.
Oh boy, here we go again. Let's see, he also has had various tragedies that we are lucky to never happen as stated in the comic: abandonment, low self-confidence, and extreme pain and agony to the point of wanting to die.

that giant robot, it will literally torture you as you fight because of the pain transmission, everytime an angel blast or rips a chunk of flesh off, you feel that agonizing pain and since the actual damage is not occurring on your body, it tend to cause a mental drain

as for the women, Misato has her own problems and as of Eva 3.0 kind of hates Shinji for third impact. Asuka is extremely closed off and pushes Shinji away so hard that he feels even greater abandonment. Rei is pretty much a empty shell that can be replaced over and over and that continual cycle of having someone you are close to die and come back with no memory of your experience together would have an effect.

I'm honestly tired of people who say that Shinji should stop whining. The pain he goes through and the timeframe he experienced them would crack many people in real life.
It's not real life. It's a pretentious anime show that likes to wax philosophical about subjects it barely understands using the most disgusting and annoying characters as possible.

Here the difference is that those events never actually happened and that these not actually real events have turned this boy into the biggest pussy and self centered egotist on earth rather than having him man up and fix shit in his life.

Guess what most people go through allot of shit, actually real shit and they get over it. They don't wallow in self pity. They don't jerk off on comatose women. They fix the problems rather than spending time feeling sorry for themselves for having those problems.

So please forgive me when I once again say. SACK UP SHINJI! Your problems are small potatoes compared to impending doom.

Alphonse's response is of course the opposite spectrum of the reaction in this comic but here at least there is something to explore. We could look into how people deal with problems by ignoring or distracting themselves from it.

What was the answer to Shinji's whining? He had to grow a pair of balls. No really, that is what the entire episode dealing with his insecurities was about. Sack the fuck up and stop feeling sorry for yourself. The solution within the fucking cannon is what everyone has been telling this shit stain to do for the entire series run, including all the re-releases.

So your point is what? Stop telling Shinji to sack up because the anime already has an entire episode of nothing but other characters telling him to do that?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Casual Shinji said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Shinji Ikari, only person to complain that he gets to pilot a giant robot and live with MILFsato.
29-year old women are milfs now?
Maybe from the perspective of a 14 year-old.
Yeah, I guess I can see that - 19-year olds were already milfs to me when I was 14.

And now the word 'milf' will quickly loose what little meaning it had each time I say it.
This is more of an "anime-ism", if the Anime's primary characters are under 20 then most women over 20 are Big Titted Milfs... perhaps it's a creepy way of the pervier anime out there sexily compensating for age? I dunno... a lot of Anime have an unhealthy obsession with the whole Youth = Sexy thing...

Anyway... yeah... Full Metal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood are definitely two of my favorite anime series's, partially because most of the characters are so unconventional as far as anime tropes go (Elric Bro's are Intelligent as opposed to Stupid, Riza Hawkeye, Major Armstrong and Izumi Curtis are the best characters ever etc.).

In regards to the whole "Westernized" thing... they aren't wrong... FMA is intensely "Western" in its style, Armestris is basically an Alternate Germany with an intense amount of research put into the operation of its military dictatorship but I personally have endless respect for Hiromu Arakawa as a creator for the amount of work she put into building a convincing world for FMA.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
Casual Shinji said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Casual Shinji said:
Daystar Clarion said:
29-year old women are milfs now?
Maybe from the perspective of a 14 year-old.
Yeah, I guess I can see that - 19-year olds were already milfs to me when I was 14.

And now the word 'milf' will quickly loose what little meaning it had each time I say it.
This is more of an "anime-ism", if the Anime's primary characters are under 20 then most women over 20 are Big Titted Milfs... perhaps it's a creepy way of the pervier anime out there sexily compensating for age? I dunno... a lot of Anime have an unhealthy obsession with the whole Youth = Sexy thing...
Yeah, I noticed the same.

25 in anime years is 40 in real years.

And Japanese never seem to have a real grasp of size ingeneral. 15-year olds are the size of 10-year olds and 50-year olds are the size of a gorilla.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I friggen love Fullmetal Alchemist.

I've never actually watched NGE, despite it apparently being one of the most popular anime ever. And by the looks of the forums here, feelings about it are incredibly mixed.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Izanagi009 said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Oh boy, here we go again. Let's see, he also has had various tragedies that we are lucky to never happen as stated in the comic: abandonment, low self-confidence, and extreme pain and agony to the point of wanting to die.

that giant robot, it will literally torture you as you fight because of the pain transmission, everytime an angel blast or rips a chunk of flesh off, you feel that agonizing pain and since the actual damage is not occurring on your body, it tend to cause a mental drain

as for the women, Misato has her own problems and as of Eva 3.0 kind of hates Shinji for third impact. Asuka is extremely closed off and pushes Shinji away so hard that he feels even greater abandonment. Rei is pretty much a empty shell that can be replaced over and over and that continual cycle of having someone you are close to die and come back with no memory of your experience together would have an effect.

I'm honestly tired of people who say that Shinji should stop whining. The pain he goes through and the timeframe he experienced them would crack many people in real life.
Called it.

I'm very well aware of the actual implications of the show.

See, we have these things we do for comic effect.

You may of heard of them before, they're called jokes.
"As surely as the Sun rises in the East, and the salmon will attempt to swim upstream, someone on the internet will fail to appreciate affectionate satire."

That's totally a proverb, right?

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
TiberiusEsuriens said:
I've had people tell me FMA wasn't good anime because it was "too westernized." Ha.

Also, Elric brothers are kick-ass.
By that logic, Cowboy Bebop was horrible. (Spoiler alert: It was awesome)

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
I watched all 26(?) episodes of NGE, and didn't even know Shinji's mom is dead.
Felt like I stumbled into the 7th season of LOST.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:

Well to be fair every character in that show is horrible and being with any of them for an extended amount of time would make you want to start cutting also. The robots are cool though.

Dec 14, 2009
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Izanagi009 said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Called it.

I'm very well aware of the actual implications of the show.

See, we have these things we do for comic effect.

You may of heard of them before, they're called jokes.
"As surely as the Sun rises in the East, and the salmon will attempt to swim upstream, someone on the internet will fail to appreciate affectionate satire."

That's totally a proverb, right?
It should be, because it's totally sweet.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
This is why I'm incredibly picky about what anime I watch; it had damn well better offer something I haven't seen before. Lupin the Third does just that, and it does a damn good job at it. Anything with giant robots or mech suits (Gundam, Zoids, Neon Genesis Evangelion, The Big O) is automatically disqualified from me bothering to watch it. I've never liked any of it.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. I totally made an exception for FLCL because I had no clue it was going to have giant robots until I'd already decided I liked it, and frankly it used them more as a joke than as the focal point of the series.

Symion

Aug 30, 2012
Still beating this old horse? Guess as long as the pageviews hold out, more power to you guys.

For the not-so-wise: The writer |fully| understands that given the situation he's thrown into: Shinji does one heck of a job adjusting. He's milking the rage of EVA fans that argue until they're blue in the face and those dense enough to think Shinji is a "wuss" "pussy" "coward" "whiner".

For those who don't understand this:

Shinji tries being "Emotionless pilot #003", the pain from synching and the situation with collateral damage messes this up.

Shinji tries being "Cocky Pilot MO-FO!", he screws up and is nearly suffocated to death in the SoD for it.

Shinji tries being "Well Adjusted Pilot, up for anything", Misato rages at him for running from the reality of the situation.

The strip does bring to mind an interesting thought: If Al is the construct of Ed's memories then wouldn't Ed imagine an Al unaffected by the horror of his situation? Question then is: Why's Ed so well adjusted? Not why Al is.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
TiberiusEsuriens said:
I've had people tell me FMA wasn't good anime because it was "too westernized." Ha.
Replace 'too westernized' with 'tonally schizophrenic', and I'd say they're onto something.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
mrhateful said:
I've been wanting to see Neon genesis since everyone says that it is very good. However, from what I have seen of it is that it show cases the very worst stereo types of anime, (Weak main character, excessive fan service, all female characters clinging to the protagonist like flies around a turd, oh and that stupid thing anime does where the main character slips and land body first on a female touching her breasts looking embarrassed)
That... might be a fairly contentious claim. NGE is the only form of entertainment I've hated enough to watch the entire series (at the time; new stuff has come out since then) just so I could literally scream at the friend who told me it was the best show ever. At the time, the only part of the show I liked at all was the penguin. (Yes, there was an intelligent penguin in the show. I don't remember if the intelligence was ever explained.) I'm ambivalent towards Mech's in anime, the religious allegory was okay

So while I won't say that the show was BAD or terrible, I'll say that I hated it. I will also say that I found RahXephon to be a much more enjoyable form of NGE. (somewhat similar story situation; aliens attacking Earth, "Chosen One" sort of male teenager is the only one to pilot a Mecha that can fight the Aliens, he doesn't want to fight, and there's a few love triangles.) RahXephon isn't BETTER than NGE, just more enjoyable IMO.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
hudsonzero said:
did a eva DVD boxset fall on your dog or something because almost every comic has been making fun of it for the past few months.
also to many words in the second panel.
The second panel has ten words in it.

TwiZtah

Sep 22, 2011
RJ 17 said:
I'd say that Al definitely copes better than Shinji. But then again, no one ever said Shinji was good at coping. Whining and refusing to hit on any of said hot chicks despite the fact that a number of them practically throw themselves at him: Shinji's got that one covered. But coping with emotional distress? Not quite his thing.

I've always said that if you need therapy, you won't after watching the last two episodes of Evengeleon. But if you don't need therapy, you most certainly will after watching the last two episodes of Evangeleon.

I'm sorry, it just doesn't make sense. Granted it's been damn near a decade since I've watched the series, but I remember leaving with the impression "WTF just happened? Soooooo was the entire point of the Angel Invasion just to get Shinji to stop being such a sniveling little *****? Also apparently to get him to choke out that loudmouth redhead?" Some gay guy gets his head popped off and it brings about the end of the world as Shinji is sent to a purgatory that he can't escape from until he realizes "I am me and the me that matters is the me that I see me as. Other people might see a different me than the me that I see myself as, but those "me"s don't matter since they're not the true me. The true me is the me that I see myself as by reflecting the "me"s that other people create about me, but what's important is the me that I want to be because I'm me!" "CONGRATULATIONS!"

Neon Genesis was just created to be therapy for Hedaki Anno. He was struggling with depression when he wrote that piece of shit series.

It's overrated to fuck.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
And Japanese never seem to have a real grasp of size ingeneral. 15-year olds are the size of 10-year olds and 50-year olds are the size of a gorilla.
Fair point, though I've always taken that to be just a visual representation of power imbalances. Younger folk have less power, so they're smaller in size (both height and physical proportions - skinnier, less muscled, etc.) than older folk, who are taller, more muscular or at least heavier. For women this also tends to towards older women having bigger breasts, sort of a two-for-one deal; more sexualized AND larger in most other ways. Sort of how younger characters almost always have huge and expressive eyes, while older characters generally tend to have smaller or squintier eyes. Another visual representation, this time of how younger folk tend to see more than older folk as older folk have become more set in their ways.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I just think people like to see others overcoming and triumphing over hardship, not complaining about it and succumbing to it for 26 episodes and four movies. That's what people do in real life, and it's annoying.