Full PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Cast Revealed

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
...anyone want to tell them that Bioshock isn't a playstation exclusive?

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Compared to smash bros, i don't find this a particularly strong lineup...omg Daniel Fortesque!!!! I loved the medievil games and am happy to see fortesque return :)

Sadly his presence doesnt change that its still a weak lineup.
And Cole being 2 characters is not cool.

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
That roster looks completely uninteresting to me. I'd still like to give a try though... I love fighting games like this. I can add this to the minute amount of games I own for the PS3.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
I'm still most excited about the Patapon stage, though Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter are cool too.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Doesn't matter, it's going to have Dan Fortesque from MediEvil! I am happy! I haven't a PS3 but my friend is getting this at launch so we can play that!

Also, WTF, they couldn't add Spyro or Crash but they could add 2 fucking Coles?
Sony doesn't own the rights to Crash nor Spyro since Naughty Dog no longer owns Crash Bandicoot and Insomniac no longer owns the rights to Spyro. They are both owned by Sierra and Activision, or mainly just Activision now since Sierra Entertainment was assimilated into that company. The reason the companies sold the game rights was partly because Universal Interactive Stuidos (Now Vivendi) wouldn't sign new deals for either game.

OT: I'm still gonna see how more of the gameplay is, but this game already won my heart when they put in Spike. Man I love Ape Escape.

Luke Brickner

Mar 21, 2011
The size of the roster is fine, 20 characters is more than enough. But this is not playstation allstars, it reaks of a marketing ploy. Hey guys, we got these new games coming out, love these characters please. We know you want the old Dante and Solid Snake, but we really want you to like these guys. We got a new Tekken on the way so stop playing Streetfighter please. Key guys remeber how cool Kratos is, Assentions on the way!

Were are the real stars? When I think of the glory of playstation, I think of Blood Omen, Crash, Maximo, Syphon Filter, Final Fantasy, Jet Moto, Army Men 3D, Gex, Spyro, Hell..... KEVIN BUTLER!!

Just alittle disapointed

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
While the prospect of the Ps2's big three platform stars in same game (move heroes doesn't exist. Shut up) is enticing, you can't help but feel a little underwhelmed when they had to use a character *twice* to fill a 20 person roster.

I've had this sneaking suspicion that this game was a tad underfunded, and am quite certain it was funded less than SSB, so I suppose the lack of the likes of Cloud, Spyro, and Crash is to be expected. We can still ***** about it though

... to the producers, of course, not the designers

... not until we've played it anyway.

TeletubbiesGolfGun

Sep 7, 2012
The Artificially Prolonged said:
No Crash.
No Spyro.
No Snake.
No point.

Captcha: thinking cap.
was my first thought, how the hell can you NOT have spyro or crash?!?!? they fucking defined the ps1 genre for platformers, you would be hard pressed to find someone with a ps1 and not having a copy of any of the games laying around.
Luke Brickner said:
The size of the roster is fine, 20 characters is more than enough. But this is not playstation allstars, it reaks of a marketing ploy. Hey guys, we got these new games coming out, love these characters please. We know you want the old Dante and Solid Snake, but we really want you to like these guys. We got a new Tekken on the way so stop playing Streetfighter please. Key guys remeber how cool Kratos is, Assentions on the way!

Were are the real stars? When I think of the glory of playstation, I think of Blood Omen, Crash, Maximo, Syphon Filter, Final Fantasy, Jet Moto, Army Men 3D, Gex, Spyro, Hell..... KEVIN BUTLER!!

Just alittle disapointed
oh god...

that would be epic having kevin butler pop in the bottom of the screen with a catch phrase:

that or he is an ally like in super smash bros when you pick up the ally item

CaptOfSerenity

Mar 8, 2011
sethisjimmy said:
Two Coles? Why can't they just do a Zelda/Sheik transformation thing instead of having two characters taking up roster spots?

And Big Daddy? He doesn't really seem to fit, being a totally third party character, but then again, I suppose that was Sonic for SSBB as well.

Anyway, I don't have a PS3 so I'm just on the outside looking in, but like others have said, I find it hilarious that Sony doesn't even get its most famous mascot (imo), Snake, while Nintendo, one of its main competitors does.

Overall it seems to lack the "mascot" punch that SSB had going for it originally with almost all instantly recognizable main characters, As well as the fact that most Nintendo characters don't seem out of place together due to having similar "Nintendo" attributes like non-mature subject matter and colorful designs.

But maybe it'll completely make up for it in gameplay, who knows.
They probably made the Coles separate for balancing reasons. It is strange that they don't get Snake, but maybe he just didn't fit with their infrastructure (or he's DLC).

And I know you didn't complain about no Spryo or Clash, but many others did, I have to say THEY DON'T OWN THOSE DAMN CHARACTERS! Activision does and they don't play well with others.

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
The fact that Spyro and Crash are owned by Activision makes me sad...

And I hope Good Cole/Evil Cole have different enough playstyles, otherwise you could of used that 20th spot on someone else. I loved both Infamous games, but having two of him is weird. You could of had Cole as one person, Zelda/Shiek -style, and then have #20 be Kuo ;)

They also could've followed what they were doing with "the big three" (Ratchet, Jak, Sly), and included each of their respective developers' next projects. You have Sucker Punch's Infamous, Naughty Dog's Uncharted, but no love for Insomniac's Resistance? We could have played as a Chimera, but you blew it Sony :p

...that also would have solved your #20 problem...just saying...

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
Innegativeion said:
While the prospect of the Ps2's big three platform stars in same game (move heroes doesn't exist. Shut up) is enticing, you can't help but feel a little underwhelmed when they had to use a character *twice* to fill a 20 person roster.

I've had this sneaking suspicion that this game was a tad underfunded, and am quite certain it was funded less than SSB, so I suppose the lack of the likes of Cloud, Spyro, and Crash is to be expected. We can still ***** about it though

Of course it was funded less than SSBB, as that was an already established IP that Nintendo knew would sell, released around the time EVERYONE was buying Wii's/DS's.

Another problem for Sony (and one that whiners keep forgetting) is that because of the great 3rd-party support they had in previous generations, a lot of the IP's people consider 'classics' for Playstation aren't actually owned by Sony and more often than not were multiplatform games that just happened to be most popular on Playstation. An example of this is the Legacy of Kain games, which despite being considered a Playstation classic, are actually spread over 6 different systems, including the freaking Dreamcast of all things.
Nintendo had the advantage in this sense because Nintendo's games and Nintendo's 'classics' are the same thing. All their icons are their own property.

Of course, I'm still in favour of All-Stars here, because as I said in a previous comment, All-Stars just has a more refined roster and ultimately has the high-ground here. SSBB had palette swaps, useless characters and overly-used franchise representation galore. All-Stars has it's characters spread over a greater range of IP's. Aside from Cole, it has 1 character per franchise, which is great diversity.
For comparison, SSBB had 6 Mario characters, 4 Legend of Zelda characters, 3 Star Fox characters, 3 Kirby characters, 4 Pokemon characters (with a whole Pokemon level and numerous Pokemon items too), etc. etc.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
linkblade91 said:
The fact that Spyro and Crash are owned by Activision makes me sad...

And I hope Good Cole/Evil Cole have different enough playstyles, otherwise you could of used that 20th spot on someone else. I loved both Infamous games, but having two of him is weird. You could of had Cole as one person, Zelda/Shiek -style, and then have #20 be Kuo ;)

They also could've followed what they were doing with "the big three" (Ratchet, Jak, Sly), and included each of their respective developers' next projects. You have Sucker Punch's Infamous, Naughty Dog's Uncharted, but no love for Insomniac's Resistance? We could have played as a Chimera, but you blew it Sony :p

...that also would have solved your #20 problem...just saying...
Yeah, there was a Blog post about the two Cole's a while back when the second Cole was announced. They showed gameplay footage and...........yeah, Good Cole is Good Cole, but Evil Cole plays like fucking Satan. Trust me, they're different.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
GenGenners said:
The token Jigglypuff comes to mind)
You realize Jigglypuff was top tier in Melee, right behind Fox and Falco, right? Tiering even above Sheik? And Jigglypuff was also quite good in the original game. She was so broken they nerfed her hard in Brawl, but she's still above the likes of Ganondorf because of fast and long aerial time. If you're going to bring up terribly balanced characters/joke characters, Pichu is beyond awful.

As for this cast list, it's not bad but it doesn't really strike me as fantastic. The absence of certain characters like Crash or even Lightning (the FF one) really disappoints me. Nintendo has a hell of a time including female characters, much to my disappointment, and yet this roster only includes a measly 2? Not that it's a requirement for games to have females, but it's nice to have the option. Oh well. I heard from people playing the beta that this game doesn't really play like a Brawl rip-off as much as it looks like one, so I'll probably wait for more detailed reviews before I lay judgement on this game.

This captcha... Cole Slaw... Heh.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
xyrafhoan said:
GenGenners said:
You realize Jigglypuff was top tier in Melee, right behind Fox and Falco, right? Tiering even above Sheik? And Jigglypuff was also quite good in the original game. She was so broken they nerfed her hard in Brawl, but she's still above the likes of Ganondorf because of fast and long aerial time. If you're going to bring up terribly balanced characters/joke characters, Pichu is beyond awful.

As for this cast list, it's not bad but it doesn't really strike me as fantastic. The absence of certain characters like Crash or even Lightning (the FF one) really disappoints me. Nintendo has a hell of a time including female characters, much to my disappointment, and yet this roster only includes a measly 2? Not that it's a requirement for games to have females, but it's nice to have the option. Oh well. I heard from people playing the beta that this game doesn't really play like a Brawl rip-off as much as it looks like one, so I'll probably wait for more detailed reviews before I lay judgement on this game.

My experience is of SSBB only, so even if Jigglypuff was good previously, she's still useless in SSBB.
Also, lol at your captcha xD

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
GenGenners said:
Yeah, there was a Blog post about the two Cole's a while back when the second Cole was announced. They showed gameplay footage and...........yeah, Good Cole is Good Cole, but Evil Cole plays like fucking Satan. Trust me, they're different.
I must have missed that one, thanks. I am intrigued at the idea of playing Satan lol

Edit: I never said this in my original post, but I love your avatar, OP! Gengar FTW

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
GenGenners said:
Innegativeion said:

Of course it was funded less than SSBB, as that was an already established IP that Nintendo knew would sell, released around the time EVERYONE was buying Wii's/DS's.
Well, yeah, that's why I said it.

Another problem for Sony (and one that whiners keep forgetting) is that because of the great 3rd-party support they had in previous generations, a lot of the IP's people consider 'classics' for Playstation aren't actually owned by Sony and more often than not were multiplatform games that just happened to be most popular on Playstation. An example of this is the Legacy of Kain games, which despite being considered a Playstation classic, are actually spread over 6 different systems, including the freaking Dreamcast of all things.
Nintendo had the advantage in this sense because Nintendo's games and Nintendo's 'classics' are the same thing. All their icons are their own property.
Which is precisely why I brought their funding up. Obviously sony doesn't want to shell out for the sake of fanservice, but when we consider this is a crossover fighter... I'd say that's kind of missing the point.

Of course, I'm still in favour of All-Stars here, because as I said in a previous comment, All-Stars just has a more refined roster and ultimately has the high-ground here. SSBB had palette swaps, useless characters and overly-used franchise representation galore. All-Stars has it's characters spread over a greater range of IP's. Aside from Cole, it has 1 character per franchise, which is great diversity.
For comparison, SSBB had 6 Mario characters, 4 Legend of Zelda characters, 3 Star Fox characters, 3 Kirby characters, 4 Pokemon characters (with a whole Pokemon level and numerous Pokemon items too), etc. etc.
I'm well aware of Brawl's roster.

For your edification, you keep using the term "palette swap". You're thinking of "clone", which is slang for a separate model with unique animations but similar moves, not just a different color.

Anyway on to the point; Brawl's roster sports 16 separate IPs, not counting assist trophies or stages (or trophies which would give us several dozen IPs). That's 19 IPs, the same number as Sony, if we're considering DK, Yoshie, and Wario to have their own franchises (they do). There's also only 5 (arguably 4) clone characters, of the 35 total. Oh yeah, and thinking on it, I would hardly consider Sony's eastern mascot to be on par with a full game IP.

So while I don't want to impress upon you that I think brawl is intrinsically better, since I've never played allstars yet, I can't help but find your argument for allstar's inherent virtues to be kind of moot.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
GenGenners said:
xyrafhoan said:
GenGenners said:

My experience is of SSBB only, so even if Jigglypuff was good previously, she's still useless in SSBB.
Also, lol at your captcha xD
Jigglypuff requires a very different mindset to play well, though chaining her moves in Brawl is much tougher than Melee. She basically needs to stay in the air to be effective, and needs to use Rollout to overcome slow ground speed. Her Final Smash on the more popular, smaller stages is one of the more deadly ones just from the sheer size. Though on the official tier list, Jigglypuff is only above Zelda and Ganondorf, I personally find Jigglypuff better than characters who tier slightly higher, such as Captain Falcon, Bowser, Samus, and Link. She isn't quite as much of a joke as some combatants such as Dan in Street Fighter.

For some reason the PS cat gives me vibes of possibly being a joke character in this game, not unlike the crappiness that was Pichu in Melee. I hope the All-Stars Team has more sense than to include a character that inflicts harm on itself with virtually every move.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
linkblade91 said:
GenGenners said:
I must have missed that one, thanks. I am intrigued at the idea of playing Satan lol

Edit: I never said this in my original post, but I love your avatar, OP! Gengar FTW
I fetched some videos from Youtube for you ^-^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5SKoEFo8rs&feature=related Good Cole.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IECybR9b0jc Evil Cole.